1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few answers to your questions...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Many of you have raised questions on the forums or at the Prius Connection events that we needed to investigate. We have a bit more information and wanted to share the latest with you. A few answers are still being investigated and as they become available, we'll be sure to post more info.
    Thanks for your patience,
    Erica & Doug

1. Does the Traffic on the Nav require an extra subscription fee beyond the normal Sat Radio? Yes, there are different subscription levels, see below for pricing from the XM site: XM Radio Only: XM Everything -- $12.95/mo XM Radio Only: XM Everything Plus The Best of SIRIUS -- $16.99/mo XM Radio + XM NavTraffic -- $16.94/mo (add Best of SIRIUS for an additional $4.04/mo). 90 day trial period is typically offered and some dealerships might have special offers as well.
    2. Bluetooth Streaming with iphone? The iphone is not compatible, this is an Apple constraint, not a Toyota Navi issue.
    3. Replacement costs of the LEDs? We do not have this information at this time. Closer to or at launch would be the time at which we’d know more about parts/service.
    4. Navi: still DVD based system? Any easier to get updates? Yes, it's still DVD based and yes customers can buy map updates, usually every Fall from their dealership.
    5. Safety Connect: can you add this later (retrofit)? No, unfortunately this is not possible. Safety Connect will be available on select Prius models beginning Fall 2009.
    6. Will the new Prius use synthetic oil? I use synthetic now and have no problems, have you heard of any? No, the new Prius will not call for synthetic oil. And for current owners using synthetic oil, there seems to be no issues using it but it is unnecessary. The engine is very low stress, low RPM, and friction. Older engine seals may leak with synthetics due to smaller molecule size but haven't heard of issues with Prius.
    7. Is it common to get static when listening to the AM radio in '04 & '05 vehicles? There were two running changes to fix this...improved antenna cable from the radio to the A-pillar and improved antenna mast assembly. These were improved at the start of the '06 Prius. The dealer can order these parts and replace the old ones to resolve the issue.
    8. What is the engine break in period? Can I drive it across country right away? To extend the life of the vehicle, the following precautions are recommended: 1 - For the fist 200 miles, avoid sudden stops, 2 - For the first 600 miles do not drive at extremely high speeds, avoid sudden acceleration and do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods of time. (What this means is that for the first 600 miles it's better to drive at varying speeds without going extremely fast.)
    9. Does the key constantly communicate to the vehicle like the CG Prius? And will the battery loose power quickly? In the following circumstances, the entry function is disabled in order to prevent the key from discharging: When the entry function has not been used for 5 days or more and when the key has been left within 3 ft of the vehicle for 10 mins or more.
    10. On the display, is there a distance to empty icon? There is a small Prius with arrows pointing to a gas pump. It represents the miles you have left until empty or in other words, your cruising range.
    11. What are the main differences between Gen 5 and Gen 6 Navi? A few of the key upgrades and features that come with the new Generation of Navi are: the ability to receive XM Traffic (additional subscription required), enhanced Bluetooth Phone Operation (including music streaming via Bluetooth), improved voice interface using simpler voice menus and better phone book transfers. Points of Interest are easier to input and find, and English/French and Spanish are now supported. Compatible phones that function fully with the 09MY vehicles’ hands-free systems can be found at http://toyota.letstalk.com for reference, and I would imagine the MY10 will be added to this site at some point soon. With Gen 6 Navi, the system will announce the actual street name prior to the turn using text-to-speech technology. Previous Destinations and Cell Phone Call History are now unlocked and accessible while driving.
    12. Why isn’t the backup camera offered without the Navi? The current Multi-Information Display is not set up for a backup camera monitor. Therefore additional costs would have been associated with making the display capable of showing the camera’s image. In an effort to keep the base Prius costs and pricing lower for our customers, the backup monitor is only offered through the Navigation package in 2010 Prius.
    13. Can I change out the 17” wheels on a Prius V to either 15” or 16” wheels or will they not support the advanced technology package weight? To our knowledge, there are no weight issues in supporting the advanced technology package and your local dealer can simply replace your 17” wheels with 15 or 16s.
    14. The 2010 Prius is equipped with reduction gear between MG2 and sun gear. We know Camry/Highlander Hybrid uses the single-stage reduction gear (gear ratio is fixed 2.478) and Lexus GS450h/LS600h uses the two-stage reduction gears (gear ratio is 1.900 and 3.900). Does the 2010 Prius have the single-stage or two-stage? What are the gear ratios? 2010 Prius has a single stage and the gear ratio is 2.636.

1 person likes this.
  2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Prius Team. We appreciate the information.

Tom

3. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    The iPhone doesn't support Bluetooth streaming natively, but there are adapters available:

RXS: RedShift

Has anyone tried this?

4. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Wow this is really great update, clear and concise on the details. Thanks prius team!

5. powrfuel

powrfuel New Member

sorry....are you telling me my iphone bluetooth WONT sync with the bluetooth in the 2010?

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, Erica and Doug. Well done.

I have a new/old question for you about the 2010: Pricing!

I have heard just lately from a dealer to be named later (no, not named at all) that the 2010 model 1223 (Prius package II) will be priced $2,000 above the "comparable" 2009 model. I would assign the 2009 Touring Package #2 as the closest comparable model to the 2010 model 1223 (Package II). The MSRP for the 2009 is now at $25,165 for Touring Package #2, meaning the 2010 Package II would be starting at $27,165.

Of course, I had heard no pricing would be announced until at least April. Is there any chance numbers could be coming out sooner?

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They are just talking about bluetooth audio streaming, i.e., wireless music connection between the iphone and the car stereo. Apple doesn't support that yet, but there may be some 3rd party adaptors that make this possible. All other bluetooth phone functions, including hands free operation and phone book transfers, will work.

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's a matter of clearance, ggood. The maximum turn angle of the front wheels with 17" rims is limited to keep the tires from rubbing in the wheel wells. Swap 15" for 17" and there's no problem; if the 17" didn't rub, the 15" won't rub either. A car originally equipped with 15" rims has a smaller turning circle than a car originally equipped with 17" rims. If you change the 17" to 15", the turning circle stays the same.

However, the odometer, trip meters, and MPG calculations may be thrown off if the wheels are much different in circumference...

10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Right, but you'd be stuck with the higher turning radius if you didn't make adjustments? Also, going from 15 to 17 (as some people want to do) would require adjustments, right? The available information says they are using low profile tires on the 17" to keep the circumferences close.

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Prius Team:

Can you get any more details about the USB or other hardwired ipod/iphone interface options?

12. adsam

adsam New Member

I am really excited to hear that the Gen 6 Nav has TTS ( text to speech ) functionality because I never read about this anywhere else !
    I have a 2010 Prius on order with Tech package here in Canada but wanted to ask the Prius Team if they know whether the nav system can display 3D (birds eye view) mode on the map ?
    I remember seeing a picture that showed what looked like a birds eye view of the map !

Thanks

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you! MG2 153 lbs-ft x 2.636 = 403 lbs-ft. To compare, the Iconic MG2 is 295-lbs-ft.

14. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

a priori--we assure you, neither the Prius Team nor any dealer has pricing confirmed at this point. It's hard to say when it will be available, it depends mostly on when it becomes finalized. As soon as we can be more clear, we'll let you know.

Seems most of you have already answered each others' other questions, but we'll compile a list of outstanding ones and keep addressing them as we can. Keep in mind, "Prius Team" is the US Toyota Marketing Team and therefore the info we share with you is for US Product. Please keep this in mind when you view our info from outside the US as it may not apply to your market's Prius.

Best,
    Erica

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    will Nav have voice recognition for addresses?

16. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dave et al, I think you'll enjoy this (pg 5 will take care of your q)....appearances might vary for Prius, but this will answer many of the basic functional questions. We might have already shared this with a few of you upon request, but for those that haven't seen it, it's a nice read.

Best,
    Erica

Attached Files:

17. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Prius Team,
    Thank you for the reduction gear ratio.

Would you please let us know the final gear ratio too?
    (such as 4.113 on the current Prius)

Ken@Japan

18. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Prius Team. I think you answered just about all the questions except the price. Hope to be hearing that pretty soon.:)

19. was

was New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Prius Team, can you tell us anything about how the traction control in the new Prius will differ from that in the current model? In particular, will it allow one spinning front wheel to be braked individually so the other one can get torque and try to move the car in low-traction conditions? If you can provide some details of the new TRAC, that would be most helpful, as its abilities will be a key buying factor for some of us.

Thanks for your open and communicative approach to your customers. I wish more companies were as enlightened.

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was wondering who asked that one. I had money on either Yoshi or Jon.

Thanks PT for once again outdoing yourselves with such good information.