1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few choice Lutz quotes

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by tag, Jan 10, 2005.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

Right now the drive for more and more power in cars is way larger than the drive for more and more hybrids.

Though GM is behind the Japanese in rolling out hybrids in cars, it has an advantage with V-8s.

In the Impala, we asked ourselves, what is it in a large mid-market sedan that we can easily do, that would be way more difficult for, say a Toyota Camry, or somebody like that to do. We have the (V-8 engine), and they don't.

LINK: Full Story

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is unfortunate. Most people can't see the future beyond their own noses. Wouldn't it be nice if we bumped the avg MPG of all vehicles on the road enough to remove the need for mid-east oil (that number is what 3 MPG??). But that would be anti American, we can't make cars to do that, it is impossible, it would put Americans out of work.

I was reading Car & Driver (sadly, the only thing they had) at Sears while my TripleTreds were put on. I know it is aimed toward the 'enthusiast' but it was ALL muscle ALL the time.

If the govt were to put out some sort of studies /public awareness campaigns showing rapid start / stop / lane shifting and 0-60 in 5 seconds got you nowhere, and the press pushed it, maybe there would be some balance to the marketing of "gotta have lots of power, who cares how much gas we burn!"

I'm no tree hugging/spiking environmentalist, but I drove a 0-60 in 13+ seconds Odyssey for over 9 years. Other than removing a desire to pass in what might sometimes have been questionable circumstances, I came out unscathed. ;-) What I did learn was that while the '86 Mazda 626 GT turbo kick at 40 MPH was nice, there really weren't that many times in the 8.5 years I had it that I used it to pass. It still got better mileage than the Odyssey and WAY better than all the big HP cars everyone 'needs'.

There is nothing unreasonable about a 0-60 of 10 seconds, except that the car writers and marketers keep telling us that faster is better, nay, MANDATORY.

3. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Has nothing to do with seeing the future, and everything to do with being an enthusiast. If I could afford a car with 3.7sec 0-60 I would. I love it. Has nothing to do with need either, its just plain fun. I make no bones about it. I love cars. If gas were 2.50/gal, I'd still love cars.

0-60 gets ME somewhere.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bruce, You have managed to answer your own thoughts here:

They did do a bunch of studies. The government asked all the executives at all the American manufacturers and their answers were unanimous:
    :mrgreen:

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Huh! And I just thought my lack of desire for a V-8 meant I'm not a Real Man.

I guess these leopard-skin briefs go back to the mail-order store, then. (After cleaning them, of course.)

6. tag

tag Senior Member

Guess I'm not a real man either. I think a real man would send those briefs back, uh, soiled.

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unless you aren't the lead dog. ;-) Sounds like you need a hobby: drag racing!

I'd rather see a design that emphasizes 35-60 power. For passing Fools on the Hill. The ones that go 35 uphill and 65 downhill.

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, power sells - big time. It sells for one reason only - it's FUN!

I took the Prius in for it's 37.500 mile service yesterday. While waiting, I wandered over to the used side of the lot to look at a lineup of three Mustangs. One was a red V6 automatic - BORING!!! Another one was dark blue and a manual. The third one was white, with the Mach 1 badging and decorations. Neat, but still an automatic. I went back to the blue one, and looked again. This time I noticed that it also had the Mach 1 package. I was peering into the windows even closer as the car was locked up, when one of the used car salescreatures sauntered out of the building.

"Want me to get the keys so you can open it up?"

I of course say yes, so he disappears back into the building for a moment. He returns with the keys, and before I know it, he's got the hood up, and the car started. "Wanna drive it?" Like I'm going to refuse THAT invitation!!!!

One quick cursory paperwork verification later, and we're pulling out of the lot. A few quick minutes of getting used to the grabby nature of the clutch (no stalls, just jerky shifts) later, and I'm becoming "one" with the plaything. A couple of right turns later, I find a spot to dig into the throttle in 3rd gear. That big ol' burly V8 made BEAUTIFUL music, as we were smashed into the seats from the car's acceleration. Now caught up with more cars, that bit of fun was over. Another right turn, and I couldn't get away from traffic. Finally, on the final "right," I get an open shot of road. I stabbed the throttle HARD in 2nd, and just BARELY kept from spinnig the tires. That car took off like a rocket, and I'm one 6'2" 240 pound GRIN!!!

Oh, I also scared the salescreature during the test drive. :mrgreen:

It's a good thing that I cannot afford another car payment. I would have taken that car home as a weekend playtoy - like I need another one of those. I love my Prius, and plan to keep it untill it dies. It however, CANNOT compete with the raw fun factor of a big ol ballsy V8 serving no purpose other than to lighten the owner's wallet through numerous invitations by local law enforcement agencies to visit their courtrooms.

9. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

That's what I'm driving right now, tho I'm putting it up for sale.
    You need to punch in 1st gear for the fun :)

My tires are a little iffy, so I spin them way too much,.

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

:lolup:

Well, then, all is forgiven. :mrgreen:

11. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I thought of that, but didn't want to risk getting myself into trouble. I would expect 1st to be full of the glorious sights, smells, and sounds, of copious amounts of unbridled wheelspin. :mrgreen:

Yes, I like CARS!!! I like fast cars, quirky cars, vehiclular oddities, as well as technodazzle cars.

If somebody brought out a hybrid car capable of stealth like the Toyota Prius, and C6 Corvette performance, I'd be all over it.

If it were me, I'd keep the 'Stang. Drive the Prius daily, and break out the Mustang for occasional weekend indulgence.

12. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

yeah, its fun, but the stang just isn't the car for me. The Prius replaced the 4runner as my wife's daily. Need to sell 4runner. Since we lost capacity from the 4runner, I feel the need to augment the Prius with a wagon, likely a WRX wagon. So, selling the mustang for that.
    And I have a toy in the garage. Once I get the cooling system fixed... :)