1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a few q's. Putting together wrecked 04

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by justjeff, Oct 31, 2011.

1. justjeff

justjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought an 04 Prius that was in an accident. The woman that owned it drove it into a van. Most damage was passenger front, above the frame rail. No airbags blew. Anyway I anticipate putting it back together this week. I had to cut out the passenger inner fender, fender upper rail, front core support lower and upper, and drivers fender rail. Will hopefully be welding the new one in on Tue. I hope to never have to drill a spot weld again in my life..lol.
    Anyway, when I put the car together I will have to fill all coolant lines. Is there anyone that can tell me the best way to completely refill coolant. I have never had a prius before, so I want to make sure I do it right. Also what fluid should I use, etc. Any info will be appreciated!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. justjeff

justjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, i read that whole thread. Awesome writeup. Makes me wish I took pics of the work so far...

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. You will need three gallons of Toyota Super Long Life Coolant.

2. For info on how to replace the engine coolant see my post #42 here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...shooting/30813-changing-engine-coolant-5.html

3. When replacing the inverter coolant, make the Prius READY and open up the bleeder valve to let air out of the system. You should work on that until you see fluid turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir and you do not hear air bubbling in the system. The inverter coolant pump is located behind the driver's side headlight assembly.

4. You can find repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Be sure to review all precautions re: welding before starting, else be prepared to replace the inverter.

6. justjeff

justjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great I will read soon....is there any real reason to buy the Toyota coolant??? System is completely empty, so wont be mixing, plus was anticipating using the neutral stuff that doesnt care what it is mixed with, just in case there is some coolant hiding somewhere.

7. justjeff

justjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called Toyota and they said service manual for auto body only states taking 12V battery neg and positive terminals off....doesnt even tell you to take the EV battery out of the circuit...is there something I wasnt told? We spot welded a few welds last night....hope I wasnt mis-lead....I will cry like a baby if I smoked the inverter...

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From CRIB 161:

Before performing any electric welding, turn off the
    ignition, disconnect the negative terminal of the 12V
    battery, remove any ECU’s within 18 inches of weld
    sites, and disconnect the main SRS computer
    connector, waiting 90 seconds before start of welding.

We have heard people report that "the body shop fried the inverter", so that implies welding on the driver's side front necessitates inverter removal. Passenger side, you should be fine.

1 person likes this.