1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few questions about your bluetooth phone operation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a couple of things which bug me about how my phone interfaces with the Prius and wanted to find out if any of you have noticed the same things.

First, each and every time I power up the Prius the car goes through its normal Bluetooth pairing routine. That works fine. But after the pairing procedure the cellphone is left on. This is really bugging me because it means I have to take the darn thing out of my pocket or where ever it is just to turn it off. The screen is always on after pairing. Has anyone else noticed this?

Second, when a call comes in there is absolutely no indication of the call. No ringing by the cellphone nor any ringing in the Prius speakers. If we happen to have the radio/cd/ipod on when a call comes in then suddenly the audio will cut out. Unless the person on the other end says something like ummm "hello?".....we wouldn't have any clue unless we happen to look at the MFD and notice the phone screen. This has actually happened.

We are using a Sprint carrier Palm One Treo 650 for a phone. What am I missing? Any configuration issues I have missed?

Cheers

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jul 2 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]280360[/snapback]</div>
    My phone's screen lights up when it pairs or unpairs (Motorola e815), but it is temporary. I'm assuming that is what you want to turn off, not the phone itself. I believe the time out of the screen lighting on mine is set in the phone preferences.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jul 2 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]280360[/snapback]</div>
    My phone itself rings when I get a call, the only time I experienced what you describe was once when I turned my phone's ring off. Again at the phone.

3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    As suggested by Wayne, this is likely a function of the phone. My Motorola V710 lights up when it pairs or unpairs, but then the display goes off after a short period (15 seconds?).

Do you have the phone set to Auto Answer? I believe that is usually an option with the 'Car Settings' on the phone, although usually it is not immediate... but rather after two rings or so (usually customizable)? My phone and car both ring, and I answer the call manually with the green offhook button on the MFD or steering wheel.

- Kevin

4. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well one question has been taken care of. You guys were right. It was in the preferences of the phone. But in a place I didn't think of looking. The "hands free" preference had a setting for bluetooth and I had it set for immediate answer. I put it to one ring and it took care of that problem.

The other problem is still evading an answer. The light is staying on forever after pairing. I let it do its thing for 3 minutes and it still had not turned itself off. The setting is set to auto turn off after 30 seconds. And it does that normally if I stop typing or doing something with it. But after pairing the screen just stays on.

So, I am still scratching my head on that one. Any further ideas?

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jul 3 2006, 12:44 AM) [snapback]280398[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm... definitely sounds like a "feature" of the phone, not the car. Would you happen to have a BlueTooth headset to test it with to see if it behaves the same?

I would check the manual with the phone, perhaps google the phone model and problem (see if others have experienced this) and last but not least contact the phone manufacturer about it. It could be a bug in old firmware that may have a fix available.

Just a guess...

- Kevin

6. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have the same smartrphone and carrier (Sprint treo 650) I believe my screen does go off after pairing, I'll check today for sure. Did you happen to do the firmware upgrade for the Sprint 650 at the palmone website? This made functionality much better overall.

7. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Jul 3 2006, 07:01 AM) [snapback]280459[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, this is great. Thanks for checking Jennjay. Currently, my phone tells me I am using version 1.12. Is yours more current than that? I look forward to hearing back whether your Treo 650's back light turns off after pairing.

Thanks again

Cheers

8. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Treo has software version 1.13a-spnt. This upgrade was performed at the palmone website, make sure you download version for Sprint Treo 650 and hot sync before you upgrade. It requires you to temporarily empty the smartphone if you do not have room for the upgrade- I did not have space, lots of stuff on phone. Also make a hard copy of any keycodes for software as you may need to reinstall.

Oh and yes the screen does go off after about 30 sec. Good luck and let me know how you make out. Best regards, Jay

9. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the info

10. douglasheifetz

douglasheifetz New Member

Hello.

I just bought a used 2005 prius, package #6. My wife and I have two Motorola e815 (Verizon) cell phones. We have successfully used each phone with the Prius bluetooth system.

HOWEVER, every time I turn the car on I have to repeat the pairing steps. I must use the "Add Phone" function on the Prius computer, and then use the "Settings" menu on my phone to complete the process. It does not matter which of the two cell phones I am using, I still have to repeat the steps.

Is there any way around this? Is it possible that something is wrong with the Prius computer?

It would be nice to just hop into the car and dial or receive calls through the Prius computer, without ever removing my cell phone from my pocket.

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

Doug

11. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe the answer to your question lies in one of the features of the Multifunction Display (MFD). You can define more than one "user". So once you have defined both you and your wife as separate users you can then define the phones to each of those users. Pair them once for each phone/user and then when you want to use a particular phone merely select the proper user. I recall seeing that function but must admit that I have not used it and my user manual is in the car as I write this. But I hope this gives you a starting point or clue to finding the way to make both phones available without having to pair them each time.

Cheers