1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few simple questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dzoutzidis, Jan 24, 2007.

1. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

Okay.... I think I've now read through almost every post on this website with regards to audio installations and I still have some questions.
    I've got a standard package 2006 Prius and the sound SUCKS.... No highs, can barely hear the instruments and the lows are all fuzzy even though they're loud enough at least.
    I want to get decent sound out of my car but it looks like the price tag of adding an amp, new speakers and a sub is a little high for me so for now I was thinking of getting new speakers only which brings me to my questions:

1. I've priced out the Infinity Kappa 62.7i 6.5" speakers at $90 from some online place called HookOnTronics and the 60.7cs 6.5" at $170. Are those good prices? Are those legit prices even? If I were to buy those same speakers up here in Canada from Futureshop they run $200 for the 62.7i and $500 for the 60.7cs!

2. If all I want to do is install the Kappas in my car, what do I need to get apart from the speakers? Is it basically just pull off the door, unplug the old ones and plug in the new ones?

3. I'm skipping out on getting the amp because it seems like it'd cost too much. I got a Primium Pioneer amp priced out at $300+$80 for wires, $60 for something else, $40 for something else again and $80 for the installation of the amp alone! Again, is this totally out to lunch?

Yes all these prices are Canadian but the conversion isn't quite as crazy as it once was so it shouldn't be making THAT much of a difference. 0.85USD = 1.00 CAD

I'd really appricate your comments and help.

2. svbb

svbb New Member

Check out Crutchfield.com--they are a VERY reputable mail-order company with excellent customer service. The prices are comparable with big box retail--you can find the stuff cheaper online--but crutchfield is factory authorized.

They will send you EVERYTHING you need--wiring harnesses, speaker mounting plates, and full instructions for your car. No soldering--all plug and play. If you EVER need help taking apart the car or installing the speakers, you call a toll free number and they have tech support who will help you for free.

They take apart every car on the market and write up a "master sheet" for it--not just generic instructions, but truly customized.

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SteveB @ Jan 24 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]380202[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a big fan of Crutchfield for the reasons you give, but the last time I checked their web site, they don't support the Prius (at least for a 2005 wrt speakers). :( Their prices are basically "list", i.e., any place you go you can probably find the item cheaper, amazon.com for example. I've heard you can get adapters for the speaker wiring so you don't have to cut off the factory plugs. I'm looking to replace my speakers this spring as well, probably with the Kappas.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dzoutzidis @ Jan 24 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]380148[/snapback]</div>
    I won't try to answer all your questions, as I have no idea if those are good prices or not. I'd saved this link away for when I get ready to do my speakers,

http://members.cox.net/scott.sumners/Prius...%20~sparky~.pdf

and there was a thread or two about installing speakers here already.

As far as the plugs go, usually the factory connectors (the car's wiring) are different than the universal connectors on the speaker. If I want to be able to remove the aftermaket speakers and swap back in the factory speakers in the future, I'll make or buy some sort of adapter. Crutchfield shows this part, for example:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zHrXsrAoXpY/c...&I=12071026

Not sure if it would work with the Prius or not, but you get the idea.

If I'm planning on keeping the car a long time, then I'd probably cut the factory connectors off and solder up something to work with the speakers in question.