1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few tips on installing body side molding

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priusenvy, Jul 12, 2005.

1. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I decided I had enough information to do an adequate job of installing the body side molding myself, so I tackled it after work today.

A couple things I found very handy to have: 2" wide, 3M blue painters masking tape, and two pairs of rectangular magnets ($1.99 per pair at Home Depot). The wide masking tape goes down straighter, and the blue tape has a less tacky adhesive, so it comes off easier. The magnets are useful for placing under the molding to hold it in place. Cut a little tube of cheesecloth from the packaging the molding came in and place the magnet inside, and seal it up with a little piece of tape so the magnets won't scratch your paint.

I also found some instructions on installing Honda body side molding useful. What you do is peel a couple inches of the adhesive backing off, and wrap it around the molding and tape it to the front. Then position the molding exactly where you want it, using as many magnets and as much tape as you want to use, and press down the inch or two of exposed adhesive. Then, hold the molding in place lightly but securely with one hand, while slowly removing the backing tape by pulling up on it. This technique worked well for me as I never had to press the molding down and hope it was in the right position. It already was in the right position when the backing was removed. See this PDF file for a some illustrations if my description wasn't clear:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/03s...3sibodyside.pdf

Yes, it really is "handa-accessories.com".

I would have posted pictures except I couldn't find a pair of batteries with enough charge to power my camera.

2. Dripps

Dripps New Member

I see this was posted ages ago but I just got my car this week and I ordered some body side molding for it, which was delivered today. The directions which came with it aren't detailed enough for me and your recommendations and link are definately helpful. Does anyone else have experience with this? Priusenvy -- do you have any pictures of your job done to post now??
    How many inches do you start from the side of the door? I assume you just center it?
    I purchased it at www.metrotpn.com. Also the bumper protector I ordered is not what I thought. I expected a black rubber material. This is clear I believe. More like a clear decal -- hopefully it does the job.

3. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had an older Metro. I wanted protective side moldings. I went to an auto parts store and bought a role of black. With minimal tools & paying close attention to detail I completed both sides in about 2 hrs. I had that car for 5 yrs. and the molding never peeled off. You take the backing off after you cut each piece to fit. Then carefully start at one end and line the whole piece up straight. Then start pressing hard a little at a time until you get to the end of the piece. The adhesive is very strong on body molding. I'm no body man, but I was able to do a nice install that looked good. I'll be doing that soon on my 2006 Prius. Good luck. B)

4. Howard

Howard New Member

I have a 2006 Prius and ordered the side moulding. After reading the instructions I decided to take the moulding to a body. It was the best $40.00 I spent.

They know how to put it on, and the job was completed in less than 30 minutes.

They look great.

5. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has anyone had the side moldings for a while? Does it really work (keep the door from getting dings)?

6. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Had them for a year...they've worked great...no dings

7. Dripps

Dripps New Member

Can anyone post a picture with Prius and body side molding installed?

Howard, did you just go to any auto body shop?

8. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. Howard

Howard New Member

I asked the Toyota dealer which body shop they used. They gave me a name and I went their for the installation. I sat in the waiting room wondering if they would do a good job. They did an excellent job.

The body shop used the instructions (Measurements) that came with the mouldings. They did not want to use the special liquid that came with the mouldings as it said it will dull the paint. The body shop said it was not necessary for the application.

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's the whole point. It etches the paint to promote better adhesion. You only apply it where the adhesive strip will contact the paint. You don't apply it anywhere where it would be visible.