1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few words of thanks and a couple questions!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bawelser, Sep 8, 2010.

1. bawelser

bawelser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First and foremost, I want to once again say THANK YOU to Patrick Wong, who saved me a lot of money (probably) and a lot of headache (definitely) as evidenced in this thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ubleshooting/48699-gas-engine-wont-start.html

Now, more than two years later, my 2006 Prius is at 104,000 miles and runs like the day I drove it off the lot new. (Needless to say, I've never let it come close to running out of gas again.) I can honestly say that this is the best car I've ever owned, and at this point would be the clear choice when my next car is needed - which I have a feeling (hopefully) won't be for some time.

I also want to thank the administrators, moderators, and members of this great forum for their hard work and helpful advice. While I haven't posted here since that fateful day, I've often come here for advice when I've needed it and always found it with a quick search. This site has helped me with everything from replacing the rear windshield wiper to the cabin air filter to the front headlights (surprisingly difficult).

As I prepare to take it in for 100,000 mile maintenance, I think I have a pretty good list of what I need done based primarily on galaxee's fantastic thread. I'm just wondering if everyone agrees that these things are all a good idea, or if any are unnecessary? I'm willing to get done whatever she needs for a good, long life, but can't really afford things that aren't needed! Here's my list (none of which have ever been done):

brake flush
    clean/adjust rear brakes (brakes still at 50%)
    replace transaxle fluid
    replace engine and inverter coolant
    EFI cleaning
    throttle plate cleaning
    PCV valve replacement
    spark plugs
    test 12V battery
    check serpentine belt?

Again just wondering if anyone thinks any of these are not needed OR if there's anything I should have done that I've missed. Also, any ideas what all of this might cost (ballpark)? In the St. Louis area if that matters. I'm sure I'm looking at at least $500 but would certainly like to keep it this side of a grand.

Also - and I did a search but couldn't find anything on this - the top glove compartment won't close, although I found that if I stick the head of a pen (or any other skinny device) in there and slide it across, it will close. Anybody know what the dealership would charge to fix something like this? It's not a big deal, and I doubt I would get it repaired unless it was an easy (hence cheap) fix.

One other thing - anyone from the metro east (Illinois) area that has experience with Newbold in O'fallon and Mungenast in Alton that would recommend one over the other? Or, alternately, have experience with just one of them but would recommend/not recommend them? I bought the car at Newbold, and took it there for the first few oil changes, until they stopped taking appointments for oil changes and I had to wait several hours. Since then I've just been going to a regular mechanic I trust and everything's been fine (and much cheaper).

Once again, thanks to everybody here, and any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Suggest getting a quote from the mechanic you trust. I use the brakes so little that I'd be hard to persuade that brake flush and clean/adjust rear brakes couldn't wait.

I would certainly have the transaxle fluid done. Rest of list looks prudent, as well.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aren't the spark plugs supposed to be good until 120k?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are quite welcome, glad that my advice helped your situation!

I would not pay to have the 12V battery tested. Instead I would use that money towards replacing the battery.

The 12V battery is the most likely Prius component to cause a no-start situation. Therefore my recommendation is to replace it as a routine measure after four years, since you live in an area with cold winters.

I would also suggest that EFI cleaning could be eliminated if you do not note engine rough idling.
    I agree that those items could be deferred especially if no problems are noted with the brakes at this time.
    Yes, this item could be deferred until 120K miles.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick is a good guy. Now some of them moderators, well that is a whole nother story...... :p

6. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with the brake flush - brake fluid absorbs crud/water over time despite the hydraulic brakes not being used that much. The contaminants will accelerate deterioration of brake system components.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yea, a real pack of jackals.

:D

Tom

8. bawelser

bawelser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll skip cleaning and adjusting the brakes, since I'm not having any problems with them, but probably go ahead with the flush.

As for the 12V battery, I did the MFD/headlights on and off 3 times check, and the numbers seemed okay, though maybe a tad low. In ACC mode the reading was 12.1, upon pressing START the second time it went down to 11.7 but back up to 11.9 within a couple of seconds, and when I pressed the brake pedal and went to READY it was 14.1. (Car had been off for ~15 hours if that matters.) Does this mean the battery should still be okay for a while, or, given the age (4.5 years), is it something that can go out suddenly?

Another battery question: my parents also have a 2006, though with less miles than mine (around 70,000). Three times in the past two weeks their battery has been dead in the morning and they've had to jump it. I told them what I read on here, that given that it's almost 5 years old and that it's dying like that they need to have it replaced. They took it to O'Reilly and had it tested and were told that the voltage was fine, although they said it was at 78% whatever that means. My parents looked online and read that driving short distances can cause the battery to drain. They've been rehabbing a house just a few blocks from theirs for the past few months and have made many short trips back and forth. So they're convinced that alone is causing the non-starting in the mornings and that, since they're about done with the house, nothing needs to be done. That doesn't sound too likely to me, but is it possible? For the record, my parents are thrifty to the point that even if they can easily afford something, they won't do it unless they are absolutely convinced it needs to be done. Having something relatively cheap done like battery replacement every 4-5 years as a "routine measure" would be pretty much out of the question.

If the battery is bad, I'm sure at some point they'll realize it and have it replaced. But can any other damage be done to the car before that point?

As for the spark plugs, I was just going to get it out of the way now since i'm almost up to 110,000 but might wait a bit. Is this something any mechanic can do or should it be left to a Toyota dealer?

Also, if I bought a battery for $112 - or the yellow top one for $165 - is this something anybody who replaces batteries could do? I think I read somewhere that someone had Pep Boys put one in for $15 or something?

One last thing - and sorry for so many questions - but Patrick you mentioned probably not needing the EFI cleaning if I haven't noticed rough idling. I don't think I've noticed rough idling, but one thing I have noticed is that many times when the ICE kicks on or off - usually off, actually - it seems rather violent, like kind of shaky and jerky. It's pretty much always done this though, and has always done it in my parents' car as well, so I just figured it was normal. Is it?

Thanks again, you guys and gals :rockon:!

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am going to guess that if the 12V battery voltage was 12.1 when ACC-ON, that it probably is 12.2V when IG-OFF. IMO the battery is marginal and you may have trouble this winter.
    It is true that very short trips can deplete the 12V battery. If the car has needed to be jumped several times, the 12V battery is probably on its last legs.

Did your parents put the 12V battery on a charger so that it could be fully charged? Alternatively they would need to leave the Prius READY for several hours, or overnight, to bring the battery back up.

The only damage that can be done to the Prius is if the jump start is botched so that the battery polarity is reversed from the donor vehicle. In that case the Prius inverter will probably be destroyed, which amounts to a four-digit repair.

If your parents don't mind having to jump start the Prius when the 12V battery fails and are confident that they will never reverse the polarity of the jump cables, then they can continue that process indefinitely - until they notice abnormal vehicle behavior which results from the weak battery.
    Any mechanic should be able to replace the spark plugs. However you will want the correct NGK or Denso iridium spark plugs to be used. Joe Mechanic may not have easy access to those plugs and may be tempted to install a lesser plug. If you decide to use an independent you may wish to purchase the correct plugs separately, then furnish them to the mechanic.

Yes, replacement of the 12V battery is not particularly difficult.

The gasoline engine transitions on and off can be abrupt, and if both Prius have behaved similarly then I would call that normal.

1 person likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    patrick, is there a reason some of these batteries seem to be going bad so bad so soon? or is it just the nature of batteries that the length of service falls across a broad pectrum?

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Consider that the population of Prius is utilized in different ways by their owners:

1. Some owners commute long distances daily <good for battery life due to plenty of charging time.>
    2. Some owners live in areas with moderate temperatures <good for battery life because hot weather encourages electrolyte loss while cold weather diminishes battery capacity due to slower chemical reactions.>
    3. Some owners might use the car only for short trips or on weekends <bad for battery life due to insufficient charging.>
    4. Some owners occasionally leave the hatch or a door open, which results in cabin lights remaining on and draining the battery <bad for battery life as this can drain the battery below 50% capacity.>
    5. Some owners live in areas with extreme hot or cold temperatures <bad for battery life, see #2 above.>
    6. Some owners like to operate aftermarket electrical accessories that impose a heavy current drain, even when the Prius is not READY <bad for battery life, see #4 above.>

When you consider all of these factors, it is not surprising that battery life will fall on some sort of curve with a fairly wide distribution of results. Some owners have to replace the battery after 3 years. Others are still using the original battery after 9 years.

My personal practice has been to replace the Prius 12V battery after six years of age although at the time the battery is still performing. We put lots of miles on the Prius that we own. It would unduly inconvenience us if the Prius did not start when we want them to.

Now that we have moved from an area with moderate climate into an area with fairly hot summer weather (~110 degrees F for at least a couple of months each year) I'll have a chance to find out whether a shorter battery life will result.