1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A fifth season...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by canuckican, Mar 1, 2005.

1. canuckican

canuckican New Member

It occurred to me while browsing the fuel economy forum that to the traditional four seasons of summer, fall, winter, spring we may need to add a fifth: the "people who buy a new Prius in cold weather and then log on to PriusChat to cry about low mileage" season.

I bought my Prius in August, and at the time the forum was full of interesting insights into how to eke out 55 to 60 mpg. Now, in the dead of winter, it seems to be post after post all in the vein of "...man, Toyota lies! I can't believe my mileage is so low! I'm seriously considering trading this car in!"

Undoubtedly, once warm weather hits, these complaints will stop and then maybe we can add a 6th season: "The repentant former-complainers see the light (and high mileage) once warm weather arrives" season.

And then soon enough it will be October again, and the Prius faithful on this board will have to brace themselves for the arrival of the 5th season and prepare to copy into their replies such phrases as "do a search for cold weather effects", "be patient", "wait until warm weather returns", and so on, and so on. Once the posts about low mileage begin to pour in we'll look at each other knowingly, nod, and think, "Yup. It's THAT time of year again..."

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but do new drivers/posters even ATTEMPT to search for information before posting their complaints or is it straight from addled brain to keyboard? Didn't mean to rant - and I am thankful for the many, many much more patient people than me who reply with valuable information to the cold-weather complainers. You have much more patience than I. I just want to find the posts I find useful and informative, and all those others seem to get in the way.

2. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    im already in the fifth season. just purchased my 2005 last month and have almost lived on priuschat reading and learning. i dont pay much attention to how many miles im getting to the gal because the snow flake dont need to tell me its cold outside.but im verry happy with 39 mpg knowing thats all the cold will let me have.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: From reading MANY posts, it appears that some Prius buyers depend on the EPA mileage figures, actually expecting to achieve those results: 60 mpg city - 51 mpg highway. The EPA figures are not "real world" figures and very few (IF ANY) cars achieve those figures.

The REAL comparison would be more appropriate if made between a similar conventional car and the Prius. In my case two Camrys (1988 and 1996) in which comparisons, my Prius achieves almost exactly twice the mileage of either Camry. :) So, I smile. In my case, my fuel costs average about 4.3¢/mile - not bad!!

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    LOL canuckican!!

very very well said! and too true.

that deserves points

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Rather than complain, I look at the glass half-full:

When the weather finally begins to warm up, the improved MPG makes you feel like your Prius is celebrating Spring!

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Spring Fever!!

YA!! cant wait... after two weeks of gorgeous weather, have had one day of rain and looking forward to more sunshine already!!

now all we gotta do is figure out how to keep all those sun worshippers from southern california from moving up here!!