1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A funny thing happened on my way to buy an SUV

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by silks, Feb 24, 2008.

1. silks

silks Former SUV Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey all, first post!

I've been in the market for a new vehicle for about a year now. I owned a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder that I bought 2001, and it was a great vehicle but had reached the "one of these days it's going to give up the ghost" stage. I knew it needed repairs, but I also knew I was going to get rid of it soon and didn't see the point in dumping any more cash into it (heck, I was even reticent to get an oil change). After putting it off for a long time, I finally decided to get serious about a buying a new vehicle.

I'm an SUV guy at heart. I love big trucks - old Dodge Rams, big Hummer H2s, etc. I didn't have the bankroll for an H2 and its ridiculous gas mileage, so I figured I'd compromise and get a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Very cool vehicles, and I even test-drove one a while back, but I never pulled the trigger and bought one. My Pathfinder was paid off, and I'd racked up a sizeable amount of credit card debt in the past few years that I wanted to get rid of, so the idea of jumping into what would at least be a $500/mo car payment didn't appeal to me all that much. However, I knew that I needed a new vehicle, emphasis on "new". But I wasn't really feeling anything on the market. What was a boy to do?

About a month ago, a buddy of mine who lives in California was in town on business. His rental car was, of all things, a Toyota Prius. I'd never been in a hybrid before, but my opinion going into it was: "Hybrids are great if all you care about is gas mileage, and don't mind a hideous, uncool little vehicle." To my surprise, I thought the Prius was...cool. The touch screen was awesome, and it had a pretty comfortable ride! I'm a tech geek and love cool technology, and the Prius is all technology. I wasn't about to rush out and buy one, but it did make me me say, "Hmmmm".

This weekend, at the urging of my girlfriend (who has been bugging me to get rid of the old Pathfinder for a while - it has this crazy shimmy that may become life-threatening at some point), I decided to go check out a Prius - just for the heck of it. To make a long story short, I found a slick black 2007 model at a local CarMax, traded in the Pathfinder, and drove it off the lot four hours later. So as of 8pm tonight, I'm a Prius owner! I couldn't be happier. It's a really cool little vehicle, and the fact that I won't be getting 13mpg and spending $50/week or more on gas is gravy! I do have several questions though:

1) Is there any easy way to find out which package my vehicle has? I see people listing what package their Prius is equipped with, but since I bought mine used it wasn't listed in that manner. Here's what the sticker says (maybe somebody can discern it from this list):

ABS, A/C, AM/FM Stereo, CD Player, Cruise, Rear Defroster, Side/Overhead Airbags, Power Locks/Steering/Mirrors/Windows, Alloy Wheels, Cloth Seats, Rear Spoiler, Traction Control

2) The GPS feature isn't added to my touch display. Is there a way I can get the Toyota GPS added, maybe at a dealer? Or is that the best route? I've heard some people complain about the Toyota GPS, mainly that you can't edit your route unless you're stopped, which is dumb. I really want GPS though, since I now have the touch screen to support it.

3) Same question for the backup camera. Can it be installed afterwards?

4) Anybody have experience putting a moonroof on one of these bad boys? I realize it's not a factory option, but that's never stopped anybody.

I know there's forums specifically dedicated to some of these questions, but I figured I would pose them here to get some quick responses before I go to the right places to get the nitty gritty details.

Anyways, proud to be a new Prius owner! "So much for the H2." :D

-silks

2. silks

silks Former SUV Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    BTW, it's a 4-Door Liftback, not a Touring. So that might be my trim right there.

3. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    With no backup camera, that would be a Package 1, but it is still loaded with goodies.

I am one of those who would say get a Garmin Nuvi and forget about the Prius NAV system with it's Voice Missrecognition. I have Toyota NAV and a Garmin GPS I keep in the glove box. I have tried several time to use the Toyota NAV and I usually end up getting the Garmin out and turning off the Prius NAV. Sometimes Prius NAV gets into modes I am not familiar with and I cannot get out of them. The Manual for the Prius Nav is about 200 pages I think, but the Garmin has about a 16 page manual and is also very intuitive.

4. silks

silks Former SUV Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's what I figured. It sounds like the Toyota GPS is a "perfectly fine if you already have it, but don't go out of your way to get it if you don't" kind of thing.

What about the backup camera? Do you think it's worth it to have that? I don't have much problem backing up in such a small vehicle, but since the Prius' rear view is a little obstructed I can see its benefits.

5. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here is something exciting...you have only just begun to find the cool things about your Prius. You'll find yourself reading a post on Priuschat and WHAM you find out something new that just blows your socks off. Some good examples are hidden compartments that some people don't find until years later, the free and not-so-free modifications, the wonders of your non-shifting (or infinitely shifting) transmission, the mysterious bladder in your fuel tank, the fluid thermos (not for coffee!), and the list goes on and on...

BTW, the back-up camera is essential for our family and we are going to add it to our mini-van.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well first off, congratulations and welcome to PriusChat!

now to your questions

1. Yes there is :). Check my sticky thread under the Knowledge Base "Prius II Features and Options" It's listed by country (US first) and then by year and has all the packages so you can take a look and figure out the package of your vehicle

2. I think you've found the answer already in your post above.

3. Yep. With the higher resolution screen of a 2007, you can retrofit one. Just pick a camera you like and wire it yourself!

4. Yep. A quick search will reveal a few people here on PC that have added a moonroof. IIRC, cost was about $1,000 give or take.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't have them get both the owner's manual and the scheduled maintenance guide from a Toyota dealer or online. They will save you trouble and expense.

8. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the main use for the Backup Camera is when you need to back into tight spots up close to another car or wall if you have trouble judging the distance. With some practice, the camera lets you take the bumper up to within a couple inches from the wall or onother car without hitting it. You still have to move slowly as the space will close deceptively quickly when viewing on the screen. I don't use it for backing unless it is in close proximity to something.

9. silks

silks Former SUV Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Awesome responses all, thanks. Looks like I'll have to look into getting:

1) Garmin GPS
    2) Moonroof
    3) Backup camera

Now I just have to figure out why I'm getting only 37mpg (no complaints of course, I'm coming from a 13mpg SUV). I think that has to do with my commuting distance - I'm only 2 miles from my office.

10. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No worries. You should be able to obtain MPG in, or near, the 50's relatively easily. There are lots of threads that speak to ways of driving the vehicle to improve one's MPG. Tire pressure, temperature, duration of trips, etc. can all affect MPG.

Have fun and congrats on the car!

12. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    If most of your driving consists of 2 mile trips, you will always be on the lower end of the mpg spectrum. However you'll see better numbers anytime you have occasion for a longer drive, and things should also improve when the warmer weather hits.

My commute is 4 miles each way. In the summer I was getting about 47 mpg, and in cold temps I was down to 37 mpg. This is without any mods to maximize gas mileage -- no engine block heater, blocked grill, increased tire pressure, etc.

An engine block heater would help you if you have access to an electrical outlet where you park the car, because it helps with mpg in the first five minutes of driving when the car is normally warming up.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :welcome: Welcome Silks. Congrats on your new Prius. It's always great news when someone with a big truck background discovers the Prius.

As for your statement:
    It might be because . . .
    . . . and you probably currently drive your Prius the same way you drove your SUVs. That's not a horrible thing, especially since 37 is about 3 times what you were getting. But yeah, in time, the car will break in and you will alter the way you drive. Eventually, you will celebrate when you breach 40MPG average and then 45, 50 and in time, 60MPG.

Check the mileage chart link in my signature. I use that as an example of someone who got off to a really slow start but eventually turned it around. I'm hoping to top 70MPG for the first time this summer.