1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Gas Tax Now Could Save Us in the Future

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by jkash, Oct 9, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A Gas Tax Now Could Save Us in the Future
    By funding energy research, the U.S. can prepare for fossil fuel's end.
    By Kenneth Swift
    Kenneth Swift lives in Tustin.

Here's a sobering statistic: According to a report published by the U.S. Geological Survey, in 2000, 27 billion barrels of oil were consumed throughout the world, yet just 3 billion barrels were replaced through new discoveries. At the current rate, by 2020 or so the demand for oil will exceed the available supply. The USGS terms this "the Big Rollover."

You think the price of gasoline is high now? As the man said, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

I'm no economist, but the concept of supply and demand is not too difficult to understand. Simply put, the more we need of something, and the less of that something that is available, the higher will be the price.

Back in the 1960s, when I purchased my first car, gasoline was 25 cents a gallon because there was more than enough oil to meet the demand. Now we are consuming every drop that is produced, and gasoline is more than $2 a gallon. Can you imagine how quickly the price will rise when there is not enough to go around? This is no Chicken Little story. The sky will be falling.

Here is one of those rare situations in which reasonably certain knowledge exists with respect to a future event. That being the case, immediate action can be taken to manage the effects. Right? Well, unless this is one of those highly classified projects buried deep in the black hole that is the federal budget, I don't think this is happening. So, here's my idea: Raise the price of gasoline even further. First, let me don my Kevlar vest and then I'll explain.

This increase should come from a new tax levied on each gallon of gasoline and other refinery products. The resulting funds would be used to finance serious research on alternative energy technologies. We are going to run out of oil, and all fossil fuels for that matter. We'd better have a replacement ready when the time comes.

Another reason for raising the price would be so the cost reflects the true economic value of this most precious commodity. I know this flies in the face of laissez-faire capitalism, but it is better to make the adjustment now than wait for a nasty spike, such as the one that occurred in 1973, when the price quadrupled.

Any funds not used for research could be held in trust and used in the future as an offset to increases in the market prices. Look, I don't like paying $2.40 or more for a gallon of gas. Nobody does. But I'd rather plan for, say, a 50-cent increase a gallon every year for the next 16 years, than wait until 2020 and watch the price quadruple to $10 a gallon or more overnight.

I'm not expert enough to figure out alternative energy sources, but I'm willing to pay for someone who is. We can pay now or we can pay later. One thing is certain: We will pay.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the unfortunate thing about raising the price of gas, is it will cripple the car-crazy american economy.

i read a study that said that a permanent rise in gas to $3 a gallon would put about 2-4 million americans out of work.

during the spike in prices during the memorial day weekend, the news was full of stories of small businesses nearly shutdown because their transportation costs were making them lose money.

but i still have to agree that if we dont start now, we are just fooling our selves. i still say that financing mass transit and alternative energy sources should be done now. by raising the price of gas through taxes, we will force the oil companies to give up some of their 150 BILLION DOLLAR profit they collected last year.

and before you believe the propaganda by exxon and co, let it be known that the 43 billion they put away for future exploration and research was not part of the profit figure.

3. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"44305)</div>
    Yes, the US is addicted to cheap fuel. And like a person with a dangerous drug addiction, it's very important to break it even though it is a very hard thing to do.

I believe that taxing gas so as to more accurately match its cost (including the wars and environmental costs that are currently financed by other taxes) will lead consumers to use it more efficiently which will ultimately be good for the economy. Don't forget that those other taxes can be lowered (or maybe the national debt can be reduced) and also the price of crude will fall due to lower demand.

Many experts believe that if we'd increased the tax on gas years ago the price would be about the same as it is today. We can't change the past but we can work on it now before things get even worse.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well we have gone too long and too fat that there is really no other choice now.

unfortunately, unlike a large portion of europe, people on the fringe will not be able to rely on mass transit in most areas of the US.

i still think that we should tax the gas 50 cents a gallon and take all that money and put it into a NATIONAL mass transit system. whether it be maglev or trains or what ever, we need something.

too much gas is wasted simply because of congestion. building more freeways wont do any good especially since most areas dont have efficient enough surface streets to support the freeways we have now.

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    [img=right:a9ed541d53]http://priuschat.com/data/MetaMirrorCache/news.bbc.co.uk_olmedia_930000_images__933965_fuel_duty3_300.gif[/IMG]This is what our government has done over the years - the price of petrol has gradually been going up thanks to tax. Here's a link to an old BBC article about it

As you can see from the graph, the vast majority of our petrol cost is tax. This has one very positive benefit - we're not terribly susceptible to minor shifts in oil costs like the ones at the moment, although it does mean the chancellor is less able to keep increasing the tax while the oil price is rising.

As you may note in the sidebar to that article - not everyone's happy about there being so much tax. :roll: We had some protests in 2000.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep, england is doing it right as is most of europe. the only way to live with inline energy costs is to wean the americans off of their wasteful ways. that takes time, and the oil companies reacting to the rise in gas taxes, raised the price of gas on their own which in effect caused a public uproar when new gas taxes were suggested in many states.

the clinton administration raised gas taxes to pay for funding on alternative energy sources and public transportation. well bush lowered the taxes back down to pre 1985 levels and the oil companies promptly raised prices 27% to offset over 60% of the tax savings. (i guess the oil companies felt that their 150 Billion $ profits were not enough!!)

i wont even mention what bush did to the program that would have brought hybrid technology to the mainstream...