1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by NorcrossPrius, May 8, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. NorcrossPrius

NorcrossPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I dove right in and bought my first Prius this week. I had been scouting them for a few months, tossing back and forth between a low mileage used and a new 2009. I dont think that the 2010s look that good, I just cant get pass those headlights. So, after much deliberation, I purchased a 2009 Black with option #2.

The original dealer offer was MSRP ($24.5K) plus taxes and fees, which came to about $26.8K. After some negotiating with the dealer, I offered my solution which was $20K out the door, including taxes and fees. The salesman looked shocked, he thought I was joking, and I told him I wasnt. I explained my reasoning through the following points:

1. Prius sales are down 50% overall this month (75% in Atlanta)
    2. Gas is only $2 a gallon
    3. I acted as if the price of the #2 shouldn't be included since I really just wanted a base model (which was kind of a lie)
    4. 2010s will be here in no time, need to account for depreciated value
    5. Other dealer wanted $21K out the door for same car

They lowered the price to $20.9K and I walked. Two days and three phone calls later, I got the $20K I had asked for. In signing the papers later that day, I noticed that the price for the vehicle came to $18.5K, which is $6000 UNDER MSRP. Better still, the dealer invoice in what they paid was $22.8K, so I actually paid $4000 less than what the dealer paid (assuming there were no additional discounts).

My question, is this a good deal? Or am I just imagining that I made off with a steal?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

You lied to a car salesman? You're going to burn in hell for that. :madgrin:

3. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, you did good.

In comparieson, I just paid about 18.5 for my used 2007 package 3 Prius (bought May 5) with 10,200 miles on it. It wasn't the greatest deal, but with a quickly deteriorating PT Cruiser, I had to switch cars faster than I would have liked.

However, I did not shop new. I intentionaly did not want to buy any 2009 or 2010 cars. I'm worried with the auto companies losing money hand over fist where they are going to start cutting corners...

-->Adam

4. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the rebate in your area? 22,800 sounds about right for the invoice, and take out all the misc charges, 21,900 is dead cost.

So yes, you get a whopper of a deal. Assuming the dealer doesn't have dealer cash incentives or rebates.. EVen if they di, I still think you got a great deal. Be proud and enjoy your car!