1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NorcrossPrius, May 8, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. NorcrossPrius

NorcrossPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I dove right in and bought my first Prius this week. I had been scouting them for a few months, tossing back and forth between a low mileage used and a new 2009. I dont think that the 2010s look that good, I just cant get pass those headlights. So, after much deliberation, I purchased a 2009 Black with option #2.

The original dealer offer was MSRP ($24.5K) plus taxes and fees, which came to about $26.8K. After some negotiating with the dealer, I offered my solution which was $20K out the door, including taxes and fees. The salesman looked shocked, he thought I was joking, and I told him I wasnt. I explained my reasoning through the following points:

1. Prius sales are down 50% overall this month (75% in Atlanta)
    2. Gas is only $2 a gallon
    3. I acted as if the price of the #2 shouldn't be included since I really just wanted a base model (which was kind of a lie)
    4. 2010s will be here in no time, need to account for depreciated value
    5. Other dealer wanted $21K out the door for same car

They lowered the price to $20.9K and I walked. Two days and three phone calls later, I got the $20K I had asked for. In signing the papers later that day, I noticed that the price for the vehicle came to $18.5K, which is $6000 UNDER MSRP. Better still, the dealer invoice in what they paid was $22.8K, so I actually paid $4000 less than what the dealer paid (assuming there were no additional discounts).

My question, is this a good deal? Or am I just imagining that I made off with a steal?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Whoa, deja vu, didn't I just see this poll?

3. NorcrossPrius

NorcrossPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, accidentally posted in the wrong section. My bad.