1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A graphic display of current MPG as part of the Avatar?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by cybele, Dec 19, 2003.

1. cybele

cybele New Member

I belong to another chat board that uses the same phpBB software.

It's for National Novel Writing Month - where the object is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. The users input their word count as part of their profile and a little status bar shows the percent towards 50K is displayed in the Avatar area.

I was thinking something like that integrated into the PriusChat board for MPG would be kinda fun - you could post your current or lifetime MPG and have it displayed in a graphic format.

Take a look at the NaNoWriMo.org site to see how they use it (the blue bars are for those who don't get to 50K, green for over 50K and purple for novels that have been verified by the site). You'll have to drive down to a conversation thread to see what I mean.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    27,000 USERS!!!

Wow, that's a ton - maybe someday we can get that big 8)

I'll take a look and see what I can do about something like that. I've been investigating several things - if anyone knows PHP that would be a big help.

3. cybele

cybele New Member

Well, they're five years old. The first year they had a website ('01) there were about 5,000, '02 had 12,000 (that's the current version of the site) and this year they doubled again.

It's a huge task to manage a board like that. They divided up the forums with some 200 different moderators. I handle a local forum for Los Angeles (which is one of the largest traffic regional forums) and another one where I answer questions about the rules and software stuff. So I am only familiar with moderator duties, not admin ones.

But it is their downtime right now at NaNoWriMo, so I don't know if you want me to try to put you in touch with any of those folks. They kept the site as low bandwidth as possible because of the huge numbers of users and large database. Because of our small group here, we can have image avatars and upload files, which is its own special joy!

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    These are a few things I want to include in the Avatar soon:

MPG
    Order Date
    Delivery Date

Now to figure out how to do it... :)