1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A liberal with praise for GWB, however faint

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack 06, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I'm not into the growing trend toward demonizing one's opponents, even if most of what I have to say about George III (Washington, Poppy and him) can be mistaken for that. :p

Bush has done a few good things, for whatever reasons:

1. Appointing two African-Americans to serve as Secretary of State. Even if he did humiliate the first one (WMD). A good "message" to the world.

2. Signing an energy bill with a tax incentive for buyers of hybrids. :)

3. Creating the 9-1-1 Commission. Even if he "caved" to do it.

4. Supporting Homeland Security at Cabinet level. Yes, it's pretty much a mal-
    functioning mess so far, but he did what the 9-1-1 Commission asked---even though, yes, some of it has been lip service (devil's in the details).

5. Appointing a Special Prosecutor to investigate the Plame affair---yes, again caving, but nevertheless.

6. Throwing John Ashcroft overboard (even though JA was becoming radioactive).

7. Literally shoving the Medicare prescription drug assistance---terribly flawed though it is---through Congress. It can be fixed.

8. The concept behind No Child Left Behind. Yes, its lack of funding is a perverse double-cross to the states, but he did listen to Kennedy to do it in the first place. It, too, can be fixed.

9. Deposing the Taliban. Then backing Karzai, an amazingly good choice.

What am I missing, moderates and liberals? Or did I overdo it?

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

This one has all the intrinsic appeal of a fart in church. :p

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Sorry Jack,

[​IMG]'s

back!

Let's face it, in this crowd, no one wants to hear anything good about Bush. Now, start a Bush-bashing thread, and you'll get faaaaar more responses...

:ph34r:

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Thanks Jack, my respect for you has increased. You have shown the ability to push through the hate-filled Bush hating and simply analyze the issues.

I have long said that all our leaders can be vilified....Americans don't want heros anymore...look at the overall direction. All paths in politics are zig-zag, the question is, in the end, did we go forward or backward OVERALL.

The jury is still out.

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

I'm trying to get into my once-a-year Christmas mode. :eek:

Upcoming: an apology to malorn. :blink: B)

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

This is true... All we see to want is someone to blame for our woes... The ones who point the biggest finger become heros... just ask that idiot fat nice person michael moore...

:ph34r:

7. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would very much like to support the President. However, when his handlers emphasize "substituting oil for knowledge" (fossil fuels) and do everything in secrecy, there is no long-term, sustainable perspective. Trade agreeements constantly undermine the middle class while benefiting a select few individuals and corporations.

Regardless of who occupies the White House, people seek sustainable solutions, not political expediency. While claiming to be "conservative" we have generated record debts, encouraged short-term use of natural capital, severely damaged relations with other countries, set back cost-effective conservation policies by 50 years or more, done nothing for transportation (actually sabotaging rail transport), confused faith and belief systems with objective evidence, pushed education policies based on opinion without funding and made political discourse highly polarized.

The current administration continues to work against science at every step, instead, preferring ambigous ideology, and strongly fighting anything that is in opposition to the ideology. If objective explanations cannot be pushed away, then the answer is denial.

We expect to be an open society with relatively free exchange of ideas, goods and services.