1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A little bummed...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Feb 4, 2006.

1. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

I just got off the phone with our salesman. Our car is expected 2/2 - 2/6. The dealership is open tomorrow (Sunday), but the service department is not. The car has not arrived yet and he called to let us know that even if it arrives tonight or tomorrow, the soonest we can pick it up is Monday afternoon. DH has to be there for the DMV paperwork, which has to wait until the vehicle itself arrives, so that means the soonest is Monday night. I'm a little bummed...

We put our deposit down on 12/3/05, but I have been waiting to buy a new car for several YEARS. (I've never even owned a brand new car before. We've been saving money for almost 4 years.) I know plenty of people have waited a lot longer for a new car and the Prius is particularly prone to long delays. I am not complaining. Just a little blue... (Our car is seaside pearl...) Thought some of you could relate or would have something cheery to say... :)

In related news, I have a potential buyer for my 95 Corolla coming over tomorrow afternoon and another one calling me Monday to set up a time. (Second potential buyer is out of town right now.) I emptied out the car of all personal belongings (well, everything actually, except the manual and registration and insurance) and got the tires rotated/balanced today (free) and washed it and vacuumed it. I ran into a little trouble with two so-called window clings that became stickers, but finally got them off and the windows cleaned. It looks really good for being 11 years old!!! (It runs great, too.)

I realized today that I have really only owned and operated two cars in my life. The first one was an '87 Plymouth Colt. Half that car was Japanese and half was American...right down to one door handle having to be held up while shutting the door to stay locked and the other one staying locked without any special treatment. I was rather happy to trade that car in when I bought the Corolla in '97, even though it was a good car for the first few years. It had quickly become a money pit. The Corolla was the only car I researched and purchased completely on my own. I negotiated the whole thing on my own and got "extras" added, etc. It was an excellent purchase and I guess I am a little sad to see it go.

I'm sure I will get over that really quick when the Prius arrives!!! LOL

Thanks for listening/reading my ramblings...

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    it's funny. I miss my 96 Maxima as well.... not for the hp or anything like that but the car and I shared a lot of moments together and it never really let me down (more then once).

My new Prii is more then the Maxima ever was but still, I don't have the same history shared with it, even if I know more about it then I ever did with my Maxima. It's funny how the emotions work. I hope someone takes good care of her! She's running fine and is a blast to drive (though being traded in at the dealer must have hurt her).

3. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

Thanks SommervillePrius! :)

I did sell my Corolla today. The buyer paid me with a cashier's check and I gave her the keys and paperwork. She drove down in a rental car, though, so she's going to come back tomorrow to actually pick it up. I forgot to give her the title. Plus, I don't even know how to deal with the title...

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

MAKE SURE THAT CASHIER'S CHECK IS GOOD BEFORE YOU HAND OVER THE CAR!

Apparently a cashier's check isn't the guarantee I once thought it was. I'm told by those who know that it has about the same protection as a personal check these days. Take the check to the bank where it was drawn and verify it is valid. If you can, have them wire transfer the money into your account.

5. Springtime

Springtime Member

Not sure how they operate in CA, but, in PA my brother and I have to meet at the auto tags place this Saturday to have the paperwork done. Both buyer and seller must be present and show valid ID's. As seller I bring the title and my brother as buyer has to have proof of insurance. He is required to get new tags and I have to take my tags off and send them back to the state.

The Auto Tags place collects any sales tax due the state (none in our case because I am giving him the car) and has to notarize the transfer of ownership and sends it into the state via computer. This removes my name from ownership of the vehicle and puts my brother as new owner.

Check out your state's web site to be sure you know the rules for transfering title in your particular state.

Springtime

PS At least my little 94 Tercel stays in the family.

6. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Out of curiosity, where did you advertise and how much are you asking. I started listing my '92 corolla at $3K and had a few looks, but nobody wanted a manual transmission and the paint job looked like crap! Just unloaded it for $1500.

7. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Title: Write in the odometer mileage and sign (on the front). Ignore "lienholder" boxes. If you feel OK about it, you can let the buyer write in the purchase price (there's a box).

8. Springtime

Springtime Member

Excellent point regarding a cashier's check. People use computer software check programs to make up what looks like a valid cashier's check. It takes about 10 days to be sure it is good. The computer software allows them to enter a valid account number that actually belongs to an unsuspecting 3rd party. So the problem is not always noticed until the 3rd party notices something wrong and reports it.

Springtime

9. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

Sign it and have the buyer sign it. Do it in front of a notary. (Preferably the Tag Office. They will want to know the sale price also) MAKE A BILL OF SALE and have both parties sign it and make copies for each. Make copies of DL's and title.

I sold a truck to a guy in Texas. He calls me 3 weeks later and says he lost the title. The only thing I had verifying that I sold him the truck was copies of the title and the BILL OF SALE. That shows the buyer took ownership and relieves you of responsibility if the buyer plows into someone on the way home.

Until the buyer has the Title changed into their name, the state still shows you as the owner. Protect yourself and don't leave anything to chance, and don't say "That won't happen to me". Goggle "Bill Of Sale" and you will see why that is VERY important.

OUscarb

Very good reading.

http://siy.cars.com/siy/qsg/tipsClose.jsp;...tional#transfer