1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A little claustrophobic

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, Sep 17, 2009.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I sat in a 2010 Prius today and felt a little claustrophobic compared to my 2004. The roof seems lower (closer to my head) and the large console seems to intrude into the driver's space. Have you noticed this? Is this something one quickly gets used to?

2. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I am not coming from a previous gen Prius but I find it a lot more roomy than I was expecting.

I do think they moved the peak of the roof back a little bit, maybe this is what you are perceiving.

Personally I am fine and I think you will quickly get used to any little differences you perceive. Maybe it is harder coming from a previous gen of a car as opposed to a completely different make/model like me. You probably feel the little differences more.

3. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I didn't feel the same way. I found it to be roomy, and much more roomy than my 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. I have adjusted well to the cabin and the nicer refinements. I have the Leather Seats and those are the best for my back etc. With the addition of the Power lower lumbar support that's a nice thing to have as well. I think it's more an adjustment. I had a Generation 1 Prius and compared to that, yes the dash seemed like it was far forward, but this has been quite good after 3.5 weeks of ownership. I love it now....:)

4. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe someone had the seat jacked up. Did you lower it to see if it made any difference?

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed. The new interior is a bit more like a cockpit.

Tom

6. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Qbee42,

Agreed for sure. I think that is what sort of makes it appealing after you get used to it. I think the longer center console area and shifter location, would be what people may tend to cause the Claustrophobic syndrome. But as I found it now very much appeals to the driver area. (Except for those heated seat controls, but I am sure those will be old news once I start using them in the cold winters! :().

7. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's the center console, you either love it, or learn to live with it as I have. I guess it make the car "feel" more like a SUV?

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I am going back to the dealer to check on the seating position. The second generation has a rather high seating position and when I duplicated this in the 2010 the top of the windshield was closer to my head than in my 2004. The large console also seems to make the interior smaller.

9. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Jamarimutt, The 2010 is my first Prius, so I can not compare to previous generation Prius'. I sold a Durango to buy the Prius. I noticed every other car on the road suddenly got much bigger and other drivers seem to encroach on the aura of the Prius then they did on the personal space of the Durango.

I find the interior, especially the driver's space to be very comfortable. The bridged console took just a little getting accustomed to, but I think that would be required in any, and every, newly purchased car. I'm six feet tall and don't have any issues the roof/head clearance. Maybe your seat has been raised? --TK

10. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a Gen II and Gen III Prius. I like the feeling of being in a cockpit on my 2010. It's very comfortable!

Bryan

11. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A friend let me drive their 2009 first, then when I sat in a G3 ... I was very pleasantly suprised. I am 6'3" and find the interior very comfortable. I weigh 190 pounds .... I suspect that larger people would find it cramped ... as they will find most cars.

But folks ... this is the way of the future for most cars. To achieve the high mileage, cars must get smaller, lighter, to enable small engines to provide satisfactory performance. Look at the auto shows, and they are all showing small, fuel efficient vehicles. I figure my full-size diesel truck should get more valuable .... electric vehicles will not haul heavy boats, RV's, 4 wheelers and etc.

Also ... personally, I like the center "bridge" console. Everything seems to just about right. I like the cup holder; the "shifter" and the arm rest. I guess I am too easy, but I have no complaint about the "READY" light, the beeps, the red power symbol (I never even look at that screen) my Prius is not a "bug" catcher; and it does not have a pet name. It is just a solid, well engineered, comfortable, fuel efficient vehicle. That is all that I ask of the Prius.

12. Pugsy

Pugsy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I feared the console would make me feel claustrophobic but that hasn't proven to be the case. I kind of like it now.

I also found my head almost hit the roof when I first got in it, and I'm only 5'6". But I realized the seat was jacked up to the highest setting. After I lowered it I was fine.