1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A little community responsibility here folks...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Penny's Dad, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok I am really bothered by this and those who know me know how preachy I can get but really I am abosolutly not ashamed to say how ashamed I am of this community...

And please Prius car kid please know this thread is not directed towards you. I believe you know what you did was a problem...This thread is directed towards a bunch of irresponsible adults!

I just noticed that 3000+ people viewed the thread encouraging juvenile delinquency and said nothing about it! Except for one poster who noted it was D A N G E R O U S.

Wow! My faith in this community is well...shaken.

I wonder how many of you 3000+ people have kids? There really should be no need to reply to his thread...please just think about it.

2 people like this.
  2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh...what thread are you talking about?

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Don't feel bad, I didn't read it quite honestly until I figured out it was the referenced thread.

7. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    are you really serious? did you you read the post about how he was on a closed runway? it's a right of passage to get your car over 100.....let's not freak out about it. sure it's not the safest thing in the world, but it's going to happen.

8. Blizzard10

Blizzard10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The "Think of the Chiiilllllldren!" argument holds even less water for me than comparing anything with Hitler.

Besides, it's not like once you're over 20 you're physically incapable of driving over 55.

10. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know what to say really.
    I feel that everyone make's mistakes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has driven fast, so.... yeah. I think I speak for everyone when I say that when your paying for a 30k dollar car, your going to at least see what it can do once. I know that doesn't give me a reason to do it, and I know it was bad, just saying that everyone learns.

11. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All I can say is I'm glad you weren't my dad. I started flying airplanes at age 14 and soloed at the earliest possible moment, my 16th birthday. More than one parent forbade their teenager from flying with me when I was finally licensed at 17. Too dangerous, in their eyes.

We all have different risk thresholds, but what's more salient is most of our perceptions of risk are badly askew. Parents routinely drive their kids to school and elsewhere, exposing them to risk of injury or death in a wreck that is statistically much higher than the risk they are theoretically protecting them from, the risk of abduction by a stranger.

Getting excited because a car got driven in excess of 100 MPH (under what appear to be very responsible, controlled conditions) shows its irrationality by failing to get excited by the car being driven in excess of 70 MPH. By the time you're traveling better than about 40 MPH you're in the range where mishaps can be lethal; by 70 MPH the odds of lethality are greater than the odds of mere injury in a mishap. 100 MPH just increases the ratio. It sounds scary because we usually travel at 70 MPH, but I believe driving at 30 MPH in traffic is statistically more dangerous than driving 100 MPH on straight dry pavement in no traffic.

3 people like this.
  12. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a precedent of this - minors that committed suicide after cyberbullying.

Granted that's the most extreme case, but just entertain the thought of a future article reporting a teen getting killed after attempting to check out the max speed, and it's reported he was active at said thread in PriusChat...."Oh that could no more happen than the Deepwater Horizon blow." ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ... Yes dad.

14. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't get it.

I have zero authority and not the real killjoy.

Think about Danny and the trouble he's gone to on PriusChat over the years. Supposed some teen got killed trying to do 115mph, it was on the news and the parents sued PC.

Would smarting off to the lawyers be wise? ;)

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your head hits something solid at about 15mph, you're dead. The faster you go, the less painful it is, because it's over with that much quicker. :rolleyes:

As for exceeding 70mph on a bicycle, now that's just complete and utter insanity. Ah, the invincibility of youth. :p

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no no no... I wasn't referring to your post... I was referring to the post in general and actually the OP specifically.

17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope you never find out about a website called YouTube. You'd have a heart attack seeing what some people post there, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving somebody a heart attack.

18. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You must not have a good answer if you resort to attacking me.

The question: A teen is encouraged by that thread to see how fast a Prius can go, then the parents post-mortem sue PC....cases like that in principle have already happened...it's expensive even if you win.

I don't care for a lot of things limited by lawsuit risk, but it's a fact of life.

Can anyone say there is no risk of a lawsuit if the situation I mentioned happened?

19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, spiderman....I now realize you were not responding to me.

20. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Um, all I can really say is, my Dad wouldn't have sued anyone. I don't talk to my Mom, so...yeah. I can say that if I were to have wrecked and died, my Dad would have known that it was my own fault. Not you guys.