1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A little history

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, May 20, 2012.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Pearl is now gone, owned by a friend. I'm waiting for Pearl S, a 2012 Seaglass pearl Technology package Prius.

I just entered my mileage logbook into a spreadsheet as I was curious about how we did. It was hard to scan through the tiny notebook.
    In 71,000 km of operation our typical winter mileage was about 7 l/100 km or 34 MPG US, worst was 8.13 or 29 MPG US. Summer mileage was about 4.5 l/100 km or 52 MPG US, best was 3.74 or 63 MPG US, which doesn't seem to be an error as the tank before is normal and the tank after is also normal. Typical best summer was in the low 4s or 56ish MPG US, but the "typical" statement still stands.

Pearl wore Nokian WR tyres which were replaced last September with WR GII ones, and both were the stock size, running 40 PSI in front and 38 PSI rear.

I haven't yet figured out how to get the dates to graph properly so I'll leave that for a future day. My logbook records the odometer, date, distance traveled (which can also be derived by math), fuel used, and mileage in l/100 km. The spreadsheet does the math on its own, so I ignored the logbook entries for distance traveled on each tank and the mileage figures (the mileage calculator I used in the car is a cardboard slide rule from the Canadian Government, and isn't very accurate).

Anyway, some information you can use to compare your performance against. I never really tried to get "hypermile" type figures, I just drove conservatively. At the speed limit. ;)

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi David:
    Did you travel lots of very short trips as those are very low #'s. I can only imagine what #'s you would have got with a regular Auto! H

3. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Assuming you're using Excel, you'll want a scatter plot and not a line chart. Then right click on the X axis labels and choose Format Axis, Number.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that's pretty much my FE figures, I use stock tires in the summers and heavy steel wheels and oversized blizzaks in the winter. I never grill blocked or used EBH, I figured it was so good compared to any other car I never took the time.

I am about to switch to 0w20 so hopefully that will improve my summer FE, and when my pirelli's wear out I'll be switching to LRR so I'll get even better.

5. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have had my P2 2012 only three months so far and using Fuelly to track my mpg's. Weather was mild down this way in March, so I did well in consumption. So far very impressed with the car, as I am you will be too.

Bit lazy here to track everyday, so I find Fuelly great in the stats it shows as my page there shows: The Grey Ghost (Toyota Prius) | Fuelly

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Lots of short trips, typically in winter. The best mileage was on a long trip in B.C. Does best at 70-80 km/hr which is typical for most cars. Just did the sum calc. on the spreadsheet. 169 fillups, average overall was 5.26 l/100 km. I usually fill up at 1/2 a tank.

Oh, and if you think the mileage was poor, compare to -real- data from "normal" cars. The smallest Suzuki I had as a rental once here got 8-10 l/100 km in winter. Not only was it a POS it was a guzzler! Don't be fooled by the silly ads. from other car companies trying to convince you a normal car can even come close to a Toyota hybrid! It aint gonna happen! Just like the mileage figures the Canadian Government allows. There is NO WAY a 2007 Prius can get 4.1 l/100 km consistently. Yup, I did it or better once or twice. On a good day, with a tailwind (or something). But the figures don't lie. The EPA figures are surprisingly close when the ambient temps. are reasonable.
    Do keep in mind that a "nice winter day" here is -10C, and when it's not nice it's brutal. You're not going to get good mileage at those temps.
    At least we don't have to suffer through +35 to 45C summers!

Oh, and I almost tear up when I see Pearl. I guess she was a great car for me. Hopefully Pearl S will erase those feelings and create new ones.

7. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hear you about advertising of mpg's. 40mpg seems to be the hot advertising button, though most will never see that. I think that car manufactures should only be able to advertise their city mpg's.