1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A little miffed!!

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by OUscarb, Nov 27, 2005.

1. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

A small rant:

I "preferenced" my Silver package "5" on Sept 4th 2005 from Riverside Toyota in Tulsa. At that time my salesman told me it would likely be an '06 when it comes in in 3 months. "Great", I say. So I research the changes, call my salesman back 2 weeks later and tell him,"I definately want an '06, just make it for sure". "We'll leave the prefrence like it is, because if we change it, we have to cancel the order and make a new one, and that would delay the car longer, but don't worry, it should be an '06. So I get a call last week, Your Prius has been matched and will be here next week. "Is it an'06", No it is an '05. Well, I don't want it, I want an '06. So he says I can pass on the '05, and they will re-preference an '06 for me, but it could be February before it arrives. I asked him if I would be 1st on the 2006 list, "No", since we have to re-preference an '06 you will be at the end of the line.

I'm really ticked at this prefernece, get in line BS. I've had a $500 Deposit for 3 months expecting an '06, to now get the runaround and placed back in the "Line" again is garbage.

To Toyota: I cannot wait 6 months to buy a Prius.

To any Dealers: I'm ready to buy a 2006 5-6-7 package, RIGHT NOW! I need a car now, not Jan. E-mail me and I'll come get it.

I think it's time to look at other options!

Thanks for letting me rant!

OUscarb

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you not get in writing that you wanted an '06 when you handed the guy your $500 deposit? If you didn't AND you're suprised they're trying to screw you over then I don't really feel that badly for you. Goodness sakes folks, trust no one. Even if the sales creature has red blood and is warm blooded it doesn't prevent one of the sales managers from forcing him to do something different than what he'd verbally promissed you.

Please let this be a lesson to everyone. Before you hand anyone your money get, in writing, exactly what you want. Specify the port and dealer add-ons you want and that you don't want any others. Specify MSRP...don't believe if they say "of course we'll do that" without having it in writing. Find out exactly what number you are on the list and ask, monthly, how many allocations they got.

We've been through this craziness before and I have every confidence it will be crazy again with the huge tax credit. You've got to protect yourself.

3. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you really don't want to wait, tell him to hold the 05 until Jan 1st and take it then.

And when someone says "should", that doesn't mean it will be. "Should" is a word people use to always leave themselves a way out.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Never give a car dealer a deposit (yes I've done it too). The only thing it does is protect the dealer by keeping you from going somewhere else. It gives you no protection at all. There are dealers that will sell you a Prius today or put you on their list with no deposit. You may have to go a few miles to find them, but it might be worth it.

5. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Most deposits are refundable, no?

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They should be. Another way is to put it on credit card. If dealer refuse to refund, let the credit card company do the work.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wait was shortened by the fact that I was willing to buy a car that was not my original color choice.

Ordered: Silver '04 #9 :: February, '04
    (told to expect it in April of '05)
    Bought: Tideland '04 #9 :: August '04

My wait was cut from 14 months to only 7.

It's unfortunate that your car arrived too soon.
    Get your deposit back, make some phone calls to Toyota dealers within a reasonable mileage, and multi-list.

8. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

From what I heard, they don't cash checks. They just hold them. And I know from experience that they charge your card right away.

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    There's no accepted policy among dealers. I gave them a card, but they didn't charge the bank until they had a VIN for my car.

Conversely, someone posted here about leaving a check, and it being cashed right away. :huh:

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That happened with me. I was planning to buy the Prius out of state (they could get the package I wanted). The day I mailed the check I got a call from them saying the package (#5) was no longer available. I asked them to return the check and they promised to do so. After a few days I called and was told that they had cashed the check when it arrived. They did send me a check for the deposit.