1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A LOT

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by mhawkin1, Nov 2, 2007.

1. mhawkin1

mhawkin1 Matt

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why do so many Prius Chat members spell a lot, alot?

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhawkin1 @ Nov 2 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]534051[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect the percentage isn't any higher than the general population.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhawkin1 @ Nov 2 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]534051[/snapback]</div>
    Enough all ready with the spelling complaints! I can not understand why some people care so much. Don't you know the affect these complaints will have on some people. Their are many people who's self-confidence will be destroyed if you continue to point out there poor spelling. They're many times when you need to just be quiet and not complain. There is to much attention paid to spelling and not enough too content.

Did I cover everyone's personal pet peeve when it comes to misspelling with that paragraph?

4. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Nov 2 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]534058[/snapback]</div>
    You forgot to work in the its/it's bits. ;)

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moxiequz @ Nov 2 2007, 01:54 PM) [snapback]534069[/snapback]</div>
    Your right. I will take you're advice.

6. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have rather large fingers and don't type well. On blogs I usually write as I speak--in Washingtonian-Seattle not Dc. For more importanrt/formal correspondence I do revert to proper English. It takes too long to type that without spending extra time to worry about "mistakes". When someone is volunteering information to help me I certainly wouldn't criticize him/her for spelling, syntax, slang etc.

Acronyms drive me nuts. Since my propulsion system is temperature sensitive why would I keep ICE under our hoods?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Nov 2 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]534058[/snapback]</div>
    Poeple wit bad speling deserve to half there sef-confadance distroied. :p

Mot

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moxiequz @ Nov 2 2007, 01:54 PM) [snapback]534069[/snapback]</div>
    Not to mention there/their/they're (They're going there once they finish their lunches), your/you're (You're supposed to bring your frisbee to the beach tomorrow), whose/who's, then/than (He is taller now than he was then), affect/effect (The movie's special effects affected the audience powerfully), loose/lose (Tim will lose his loose change if he doesn't sew the hole in his pocket) and past/passed (In the past, he passed by the old movie theater every day on his way to the ice cream parlor which was just past the theater).

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    brake/break seems to be a favorite here.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't mind bad spelling per se. What really annoys me is when people use the wrong word, as several posters above have pointed out, some with amusing examples, and some in a more straightforward manner.

When you confuse its/it's or their/they're/there or any of the other analogs, I, for one, assume I am reading the words of an uneducated, or an ignorant person. You may not care, and that's your right. Most people make typos sometimes. (I proofread my posts at least twice because my first draft is usually so full of typing errors, and some still get through.) But your arguments lose much of their impact and your assertions become suspect when you present yourself as an uneducated person.

I don't know why it annoys me so much. I don't know why fingernails on a chalk board, or sudden loud noises annoy me so much either. But they do.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With Firefox, there's no reason to have a misspelled word. Having a misused word that is spelled correctly (eg, your/you're) is your own problem.

As for me, my pet peeve is apostrophes on plural words where they shouldn't be.

Also, Acronyms and abbreviations might be confusing at first, but they have their place. Writing out "Internal Combustion Engine" every time is a waste.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you know what the poster is saying does it really matter?
    The important thing is you receive the message not the means of delivery.

13. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I generally ignore most misspellings I see on the basis that Americans cannot use proper English - you all use Ameringlish. :D The fact that you use different spelling for a large number of words, when compared to proper English - or at least the English I learned and as spelt in the Oxford English dictionary - means that I do not expect people to always use the right words. :)

I spend a major part of my time travelling the world teaching people my company's software product. We have built the system so that it can operate in multiple languages, so when in the US I flip the settings to run American English. This stops all sorts of questions as to why we spell "check" as "cheque", "authorize" as "authorise", and definitely gets over the issue of "licence" (a noun meaning a permit) versus "license" which is a verb meaning to grant a permit. I also write a number of manuals for the company and even with the use of spell checkers and just proof-reading, I am still amazed at the number of mistakes that I make and do not see until months later, so I do get to accept misuse as a general failing.

I am still getting used to the American spelling of "tires" - we use "tyres" - while we use the word "tire" to indicate a need of rest.

In some respects, I see the current trend of misusage of words, and the misspellings, as a move back in time. At the time of Shakespeare, a lot of the documents of that time had different spellings for the same word - people just worte down the word as it sounded to them. It was after this that the concept of a dictionary was first considered to provide a definitive document on the correct spelling of words. Now we seem to be going back to the olden days, but more from the desire to get something written and out to the rest of the world. No time to check what we have written.

Priusenvy - you got two of the to/too/two misusages, but missed on the number. :D

StevO - unfortunately not all spell checkers can tell the difference between words such as their/there/they're, but I agree, use of a spell checker can help some of the major gaffes. :)

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ 2007 11 02 13:24) [snapback]534058[/snapback]</div>
    I counted ten errors. Were you keeping track? :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AussieOwner @ 2007 11 02 16:49) [snapback]534144[/snapback]</div>
    Right arm, dude!
    Hey, you wouldn't happen to have a spell checker that speaks Canadian, would you? :)

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 2 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]534138[/snapback]</div>
    Once upon a time, proof readers caught most errors. Now many people use a spell checker instead of a proof reader, and the result is that while spelling errors that have no meaning are caught, errors that end up being a different word are not.

But I get the feeling that a lot of people (and a lot of people on this board) do not know the difference between their and there and they're. Or between its and it's. Or many other homophones.

I love language. And so I dislike the abuse of language.

16. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AussieOwner @ Nov 2 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]534144[/snapback]</div>
    H.L. Mencken recognized that and rewrote the Declaration of Independence in American, to refresh awareness of that remarkable document. It's a marvelous tour de force:

Declaration of Independence written in American by H.L. Mencken

Set down in plain language, it's rather a shock to discover so many of its grievances apply to the present occupiers of the White House.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is easier to read than the original

18. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhawkin1 @ Nov 2 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]534051[/snapback]</div>
    do you know much about real estate? (as i grab my male package i then ask) do you think this is a lot? works better in person..lol..