1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A man who makes Al Gore seem somewhat normal

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daronspicher, Apr 18, 2007.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/17/edw...r.ap/index.html

Has anyone donated to his campaign? Just think.. if you gave $50 bucks, it probably cost you anywhere from 3 to 5 hours at your job, and you only got to pitch in for 1/8 of his hair cut. Maybe you should pony up bigger bucks next time and get into that 1/2 haircut range.

When I read this, I got to thinking... Al Gore lives in a tiny little 11,000 sqft shack, I wonder how he gets by. Then I remembered, Al only does that house because of his office and his security detail. Edwards must have a staff of about 500 at his house.

Does anyone here think that Edwards has 'alleviated' the poverty in his own life by this point and maybe should start working on the rest of the world?

I'd add more here, but I have to run to the other end of my compound and go for a swim in my olympic sized indoor pool and catch a game of basketball on my full sized indoor court with my groundskeeping staff.

2. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Who cares about a haircut. I am more interested in that he doesn't invade the wrong country and gets thousands of americans killed either directly by war, or indirectly by refusing to fund stem cell research.

3. ari14850

ari14850 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 18 2007, 06:42 AM) [snapback]425217[/snapback]</div>
    You're right daron, only republicans should have the right to be rich!

4. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ari14850 @ Apr 18 2007, 07:33 AM) [snapback]425230[/snapback]</div>
    More power to him for being rich. More power to you if you don't mind his lifestyle as he preaches on for your vote based on the fact that he wants to 'alleviate poverty' as one of his main concerns.

You probably will also vote for the town hooker who's trying to stamp out prostitution as her main campaign promise.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Feeling our oats this morning aren't we Daron....have a cup of coffee!
    I think we can all agree that such spending is silly and extravagant, but that a there are other politcal issues going on. and to pretend that the repubs do better is just insane. It's not good on either side, but of all the insanity that is politics in America today this hardly warrants it's own thread.

6. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 18 2007, 07:47 AM) [snapback]425235[/snapback]</div>
    Or, to put another way... this looks really bad, so why doesn't everyone just relax and pretend that this article is not on CNN's site today.

Alright...

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 18 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]425284[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if it's on CNN or not, but they've certainly had stories like this, about democrats and republicans, in the past....but seriously, this is the stuff of Rush Limbaugh and Fox News...and National Enquirer as you're very well aware.

8. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 18 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]425284[/snapback]</div>
    Do you know how much Bush spends on haircuts and what the size of his house(s) are? Again not mentioning the deaths and scandals:

List of controversies associated with U.S. President George W. Bush and his administration.

Alleged retaliatory acts against opponents

* Plame affair
    * Al Jazeera bombing memo
    * Bunny Greenhouse

Controversies surrounding pre-Iraq war intelligence

* Iraq and weapons of mass destruction
    * Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda
    * Office of Special Plans
    * Niger uranium forgeries
    * CIA leak grand jury investigation
    * Downing Street memo
    * Bush-Blair memo

Controversies surrounding human rights

* Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse
    * Extraordinary rendition
    * Unlawful combatant
    * John Negroponte

Controversies surrounding spying

* NSA call database
    * NSA warrantless surveillance controversy
    * Spying on the United Nations

Controversies surrounding propaganda

* Bush administration payment of columnists
    * Lincoln Group
    * White House Iraq Group

Controversies surrounding obstruction

* 2002 New Hampshire Senate election phone jamming scandal

Controversies surrounding response to national crisis

* Criticism of government response to Hurricane Katrina
    * Walter Reed Army Medical Center neglect scandal

Controversies involving business / economics

* Halliburton
    * Dubai Ports World controversy
    * 2002 United States steel tariff

Controversies involving influence / lobbying

* Energy Task Force

Controversies involving secrecy / censorship

* Executive Order 13233
    * State Secrets Privilege
    * Free speech zone
    * EPA 9/11 pollution controversy
    * Misrepresentation of cause of death of Pat Tillman
    * Use of Republican National Committee servers and private mail systems for Government business

Controversies surrounding nepotism / cronyism

* Michael D. Brown
    * Harriet Miers Supreme Court nomination
    * Uncle "Bucky"
    * Sam Fox

Controversies surrounding the growth of executive power

* Unitary executive theory
    * Signing statement
    * Line-item veto
    * Dismissal of U.S. attorneys controversy

Controversies surrounding criminal acts of Administration officials

* Brian Doyle
    * Claude Allen
    * David Safavian
    * Larry Franklin
    * Roger Stillwell
    * Frank Figueroa
    * Darleen Druyun
    * Lewis Libby

Controversies surrounding investigation of Administration officials or nominees

* Carl Truscott
    * Joseph E. Schmitz
    * J. Steven Griles
    * Susan Ralston
    * Kyle Foggo
    * Janet Rehnquist
    * Kenneth Tomlinson
    * George Deutsch
    * Richard Perle
    * James G. Roche
    * Philip Cooney
    * Bernard Kerik
    * Timothy Flanigan
    * Linda Chavez
    * Eric Keroack
    * Lurita

But Clinton got a BJ and Edwards spends too much on haircuts.... Some perspective please!!!

9. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Apr 18 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]425298[/snapback]</div>
    Bush is your benchmark? That's an interesting revelation, I thought he was doing everything wrong.

If edwards, or hillary or anyone was paying $450,000 of donated DNC money to get their fingernails done, would that be wrong? or seem out of touch at all... what does it take?

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it sure does sound like an incredible misuse of money. but i don't see where his being rich and his dayspa habit have to do with his campaign against poverty. you're saying he should do this personally rather than through policy?

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 18 2007, 05:42 AM) [snapback]425233[/snapback]</div>
    I'd vote for the town hooker, but not if she says she's against prostitution. A hooker who is openly a hooker is a heck of a lot more honest than a politician who pretends he's not a prostitute. A politician prostitutes his soul for political power. A hooker just provides sex for money. A hooker takes your money and lets you screw her. A politician takes your money and then screws you. A hooker negotiates with you for a price you both can agree on. A politician lies to get your vote, and never tells you what it's really going to cost you.

12. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 18 2007, 05:42 AM) [snapback]425233[/snapback]</div>
    This is very strange logic. From what I think you're saying every politician has to live the causes they back.
    If this is the case then besides Edwards there are other problems:
    Bush can't care about children's educations because he's educated.
    Hillary can't care about heathcare because she has it.
    Obama can't fight against the war because he's not in it.
    McCain is allowed to back research for cancer becuase he's had it, but the others are not.

This will really narrow people's focus, that's for sure.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Apr 18 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]425298[/snapback]</div>
    Can i please see your list of controversies associated with U.S. President Bill Clinton and his administration.

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love politics! :lol: :p :rolleyes:

15. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Alrighty then - one of your "arguments" essentially says that rich people shouldn't help out the poor since they are rich and that would be hypocritical.

16. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 18 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]425313[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, absolutely.

I have no problem with a man of means paying $400 out of his own pocket for a haircut. If you have money, spend it on anything legal that you want and I have no problem with that. I probably would choose different ways to blow my stash than you would and you'd think I was nuts.

Ask common people (as well as rich PAC's and weathy individuals) to send in donations to your campaign fund, then spend $400 of that money for a haircut seems outrageous to me.

If he believes in relieving poverty, he has the personal means to help out a lot of people. He has the connections to bring an even bigger impact. It's an insult to be the poverty candidate while being so calous with his spending.

You can feed a lot of hungry people if you spend 15 bucks at Great Clips for the hair cut and 385 paying for food for families who don't have any.

Helping poverty is not who John Edwards is... too bad it's what comes out of his mouth at political rallies.

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 18 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]425396[/snapback]</div>
    but... but... that won't get anyone into the white house ;)

18. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Haha...

This is hillarious..

From the left: BUSH SUCKS HE IS A CRIMINAL AND HE KILLS AMERICANS!

From the right: BUT BUT BUT.. BUT CLINTON!!!!

19. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 18 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]425407[/snapback]</div>
    I almost wonder if it would? I kinda think America would glom on to a leader they could follow. All we have right now is people wanting to lead who really don't stand firmly for anything and every issue is a 'murky maybe' with the idea being that any voter could look at their position on any issue and come up with a fit.

Too bad no one is willing to try having vision, absolutes and real positions on issues so we could see if it will get them elected.

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    playing clean (ie doing what you say, becoming an example) against others who play dirty isn't gonna work in this world. i wish it would, and i wish people would see through the crap. but politics is deeply tied to psychology nowadays, and when you know how groups of people work it's not hard to manipulate them as you see fit for your own ends.

you're right though, in that we need someone who has honor and integrity and is a doer, not a talker. the question is whether he/she would make it to office.