1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A mechanic's once-over before buying a used Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sapphireblue, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue New Member

I swear, by the end of this week, I will have a used Prius and will stop bothering you all with the silly questions :D

My uncle the ex-car-salesman has given me lots and lots of handy tips on buying used cars---something I've never done before. If he were anywhere near where I live I'd just go out shopping with him and feel smarter by proxy. But he's not...

One of his used-car-buying tips is, make sure the seller will let you have a mechanic give the car a once-over. You wouldn't buy a house without an inspection, right? But... with a Prius I couldn't just take it to anyone. I have a couple car guys here in DC I trust a lot but what do they know about hybrids? Not much I bet. So it seems like if I were to have a mechanic give a used Prius a once-over, it'd have to be at a Toyota dealership... and am I seriously going to get any honest/useful feedback taking a car from one Toyota dealership to another in the same town?

What say you?

2. jimrebekah

jimrebekah New Member

Just posted on your other thread. I think a once-over by a Priustech is essential before buying a used Prius, especially one with significant mileage. It's a bit like insurance. Although you can't guarantee that the Priustech will be full and honest (and really, when can you guarantee that?), if they catch something it will be more than worth the $100 for the inspection, and if they don't catch something that comes up later at least you'll have someone better equipped to deal with the fit you will pitch than the guy who is trading up his car and may not have known that something was going wrong.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd do it. I'd also have the extended warranty transferred if possible. Also check the VIN online to see whether it's been in a serious accident.