1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a minor problem (I think)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vespasian, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

I was sitting in my car [in park] inside of a parking garage. The car was on but the ICE was off. After about a minute or so the ICE turned on, causing the car to "leap" forward a foot or two and subsequently casuing the front end of my car to make contact with a concrete wall. Other than the license plate holder there really isn't any visible damage. Is there something wrong with my car or is this normal? I'm now making it a point to park at least three feet from all concrete walls.

EDIT: The "leap" was probably closer to a foot than two feet.

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Next time press the P button.

3. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

The car was in park. :huh:

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Troll alert!!!

5. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's a technical explanation somewhere here that says why the car moves slightly when the ICE kicks in, and I'm sure others will chime in with that explanation as well. However, if the car was in park when the ICE started up, it is, to my understanding, physically impossible for the car to move more than a few inches unless something has damaged the prawl.

6. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

Maybe it was closer to a foot than two feet. I really don't know for sure. But I know I wasn't only a few inches from the wall.

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. You were parked too close to the wall.

2. Standing still ICE start is totally normal based upon battery SOC, engine/cat temperatures or cabin temperature requirements. There is quite a bit of torque forces in action between the ICE and MG1, which starts the ICE, during a standing ICE start. In other words, in park you will drift forward with an ICE start, but limited to the play that is inherent in the parking lock system (all automatics have this play). If your parking brake had been set this would not have happened.

3. There is probably absolutely no damage to your bumper of front fascia. Get a new license plat bracket and frame and learn from this lesson, always set your parking brake.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Was this a startup situation, or had you pulled into the space after a drive?

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A troll with 90+ prior posts? I doubt it.
    That would be some serious dedication to the art of deception!

10. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

I probably was parked too close, but I didn't want someone to clip the rear end of my car when they were coming around the corner. And I was gonna ask if I should always have my parking brake engaged.

11. lsa55

lsa55 New Member

Okay, Prius novice here -- What's "ICE" and MG1?"

12. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

Start-up. I had disengaged the parking brake when I got into the car, but I didn't pull out right away.

13. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I recommend getting into the habit of using the parking brake every single time you park your car...

I notice than the P gear still allows for the car to move a significant amount before the car is "stopped."

Put the parking brake on, just to be sure!

Edit: and possibly leave it on until the car begins it's warmup ICE run.... i noticed in your last post that you did mention that you had the parking brake on.

14. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

So I shouldn't disengage the parking brake until the moment I'm ready to pull out of the space?

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ICE is the Internal Combustion Engine. There are two Motor/Generators MG1 and MG2. MG1 is the smaller of the two and it would need to start when the ICE started.

There are some really good explinations of how the system works and if you wish to take the time you can find links to them here.

Here is one to start with.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-car14.htm

16. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I usually disengage the parking brake right before i put the car into gear with my foot on the brake, yes.

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think if your car leaps forward a foot or two, or even a few inches, when it's in park something must be seriously broken. Does it do this often? has it ever happened before? Could you have bumped the selector when your foot was on the brake and accidently put it in "D" or "B" without noticing?

I just went out and tried starting the engine in "P" parking brake off about a dozen times. I couldn't get the car to move forward even a fraction of an inch. I am not saying this indicates that yours didn't do it; but I think it might indicate that it shouldn't have.

18. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Not really. Every automatic trasmission car I have driven has some play in the park position. The car will roll several inches until the slop in the geartrain and motor mounts are taken up. This is also true of my Prius. The car can roll a few inches with the park pawls engaged. I've also noticed that when the ICE starts up while in park the car will move forward to the end of that slop. This seems normal.

If the car moved a few feet, then something is really wrong.

19. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

20. lsa55

lsa55 New Member

Thanks, Tumbleweed.