1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A miracle in the Prius universe?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by markie45, Jun 18, 2006.

1. markie45

markie45 New Member

First off, this is a great site with an incredible amount of info. I'm really looking forward to learning more about my Prius here.
    Okay so here's my story -- I finally made up my mind to take the Prius plunge last weekend. After calling 27 of the closest Toyota dealers to me and coming to the realization that the horror stories I'd been reading on this site about finding "your" color and options (or ANY Prius' for that matter) were indeed true - I was ready to settle for a second or even third choice on my color and options. And at that, I knew that I'd have to be Johnny-on-the-spot for the privilege -- like be there to help the driver take it off the truck, bring cash, prep it myself, etc.... I was looking for a silver pine mica #8 that I wouldn't have to wait months to obtain -- if ever.
    Just as I was about to succumb I called Toyota of Redlands. I nearly fell out of my chair when the salesperson said, "I have a green #8 coming and I have the VIN, it should be here within a week" After making her repeat that line several times, I drove out that day and did the paperwork. In retrospect I probably should have bought a lottery ticket that day too...I mean how fortunate was that?? Still skeptical, I asked to see the paperwork showing the actual color and option package to be sure it coincided with the VIN, which it did. I was told as I left that it would be "3 or 4 days". Well 2 days later I got a call saying it was there and ready to go!!
    I don't know if it was the fact that the dealership was in Redlands (small town 60 miles east of L.A.) or what, but when I picked mine up there were a couple of others that had come in that day including a blue #7 -- when I drove back out late that same night to pick up my old car, the blue #7 was still sitting there! That is simply not happening anywhere closer to the city. I'd like to put in a plug for Denise Garcia (how often does a car salesperson get a compliment?) who was very down to earth and helpful -- not at all typical of what you'd expect. I'm sure we can all relate to the typical salesperson...I know I felt like washing my hands a few times just after calling around on the phone.
    Well I picked it up with all of 2 miles on it, and it's GREAT! People that have been for a ride are amazed with the roominess, ride, options, etc.... I think lots of people think a hybrid means "cheap ride, sacrifice,etc...." and of course they all want to know how often I have to plug it in.... So far I've driven 450 miles, 90 percent at 60 - 70mph with a/c on and I'm at 51.1 mpg -- fantastic! Of course I'm still figuring out how everthing works and I'm continuously amazed at how many cool little things this car has in it. I feel like I've gone from Fred Flinstone to the Jetsons -- automotive speaking that is! Looking forward to the Prius ride for a long time to come!!

2. cabillings

cabillings New Member

That's great! I do think that it was because of the location. My brother went to test drive one in Ontario. The buyer backed out and he got it the day that he went in for a test drive. He didn't even have his checkbook with him. It was a silver pine mica too! I had pretty good luck too. I sent an e-mail to Power Toyota of Buena Park and was told that my silver #7 was at the dock. It took about 10 days, but well worth the wait which was nothing compared to others on this site. Did you pay MSRP?

Congrats!

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    congrats. It is good to hear of a good experience since usually we only hear of something when it goes terribly wrong.

4. markie45

markie45 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris B @ Jun 18 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]273143[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Chris, I dig on the silver pine mica and I think silver would've been my next choice. As far as MSRP goes...well, let's just say that I'm glad I didn't have to pay for dealer installed chrome wheels (or other stuff) that I really didn't want. I paid 3k over which is currently what every dealer I called quoted and of course that was for a car that I'd be waiting awhile for.
    As an aside, last sunday I called 15-20 dealers only to find 2 prius' actually on the lot within a 30 mile radius...by the time I made it to the first place, Prius #1 drove past me and left as I pulled into the dealership, with its smiling new owner at the helm. I hauled over to the next place to find Prius #2 (not my color or package, but I just wanted to be able to sit in it and give a thorough going over -- not intending to purchase) was behind several other cars in a warehouse prior to being prepped. The salesman was nice enough to let a friend and I in to give it a good lookover in and out. My friend couldn't believe that they were charging -- not asking, OVER the MSRP. I reminded her that we couldn't even find ONE to test drive in southern california -- they pretty much can charge whatever they want right now.
    Tack onto that the carpool access and well, I'm good with it! Somebody on another post said something like this regarding the Prius and carpool access, "who says money can't buy you time!?" I know for me it's going to buy a lot of time :D in addition to being a great car!

5. Springtime

Springtime Member

The salesman was nice enough to let a friend and I in to give it a good lookover in and out. My friend couldn't believe that they were charging -- not asking, OVER the MSRP. I reminded her that we couldn't even find ONE to test drive in southern california -- they pretty much can charge whatever they want right now.

I guess people who live in California pay for the privilage. You certainly pay more for housing and most everything else - so why not pay more for a Prius?

When Californians pay $3K over MSRP, the rest of the universe feels great having securred their Prii at MSRP and I feel down right giddy having paid $1500 below MSRP ( for the exact model I wanted).

Springtime

6. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have to disagree about "having" to pay markups in SoCal...

I just picked up my White Package #3 at John Elway's Crown Toyota in Ontario, CA for MSRP, not a dollar over. I had originally had a dealer in Tucson, AZ who was going to get me one, and when he called with the Magnetic Grey #3 coming "in a week" I got all ready to do the deal, but then they tried to slip a $300+ documentation fee in there at the end and I said NO WAY. That day, I started calling around SoCal dealers (this was 6/7), and Crown said they had a White Package #3 coming "to the dock" around the 19th and "on the ground" about the 25th. Incidentally, my fiancee had changed her mind on the color to White anyway, so we jumped on it. After some cajoling, they "held" the car in our name for 2 days until I could drive the hour up there to put a deposit down on 6/9. All they had was the partial VIN at this point. 6 days later, on 6/15, they called me to say they had the VIN, and later on, that the car was actually there! I wasn't going to be able to go back up for 2 days, and they were like "well, you need to hurry, I can't hold the car without an official sale" even though I had a deposit... But I was able to convince them that they had better honor our agreement - which I was surprised that I had to do, but regardless, it was fine. Saturday, I went up to buy the car. 90 minutes later (mostly waiting for a finance manager since they were so busy that day) later, I left with the "option contract" so I could bring back my bank's financing check today, and with the Prius. They did not hard-sell the warranty or the pre-paid maintenance, I said no thanks and that was the end of it. The price I paid was the price I was quoted the day I put the deposit down to the penny. The color, package, and VIN matched up as well.

So the day my AZ deal broke down, I found a Prius only 50 miles from home. 10 days later, I drove it home, at MSRP.

Other dealers I know that are selling for MSRP are:

Power, Irvine
    I-10, Indio
    Hi-Desert, Victorville

There are more but I need to find my notes.

SoCal'ers: please do the hybrid-buying public a favor and (if you can) patronize the dealers who aren't bilking the masses out of thousands in markups.

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations!

I bought my Prius 'off the lot' in April after doing most of my shopping 'by phone', so I know what you mean by 'miracle'!

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jun 19 2006, 06:18 PM) [snapback]273664[/snapback]</div>
    I paid MSRP at Ventura Toyota. Pkg #1 Pine Mica. I had to wait 7 weeks, but I wasn't in a hurry.

9. markie45

markie45 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SCDrJ @ Jun 19 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]273482[/snapback]</div>
    Congratulations on your Prius buy SCDrJ. I suppose if wasn't in a hurry and wasn't too concerned about exactly which Prius I might end up with, I'd have tried to haggle. I called Power Irvine and really got the cold shoulder, i.e., "there's a waiting list and we're not adding to it right now" and tried the Ontario shop as well with no luck. I'm sure there are MSRP deals out there, but I wasn't feeling it from anyone. I think what we have both experienced is that your odds of landing a Prius and perhaps one without a mark-up are to go well outside of the city limits.