1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A More Balanced Analysis to the LA Times / ABC News Accusations

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by DeadPhish, Mar 29, 2010.

1. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/miarticle.htm?id=6032

This is not something that Toyota can say in public. It's being left to those with no axe to grind as opposed to those with papers to sell ( LA Times ), viewers to draw in with breathless hyperbole ( ABC News ) or reelections to be won ( Congress critters ).

It also reflects the disconnect between the real population of drivers who have never experienced any of these issues who in addition know no one who has ever experienced such issues either. It reflects the real world day-to-day existence of some 30 to 50 million owners who are looking at their vehicles thinking, MINE has never done that(?) who's creating this smokescreen?.

Why this disconnect from tens of millions of satisfied owner/drivers and an isolated complaintant? Why? because it very like is NOT the vehicle at fault.

Why should these complaints target the elderly so often? No one who is unbiased has explained this disconnect.

6 people like this.
  2. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Geez, It looks like I'm a long time overdue!!

If I remember correctly, many of the Audi drivers claiming unintended acceleration were found to be short in stature, suggesting that their reach to the pedals could have been a factor.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Old people are short too :D

4. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    While I am not a big fan of National Review, in this technical matter I think they are on to something.

Not a big fan of this publication but I found some interesting information at: The taint in the Toyota probe | Washington Examiner. Ms. Claybrook and Mr. Ditlow are not without controversy of their own. The article didn't mention the Kaine controversy. Apparently there was a lengthy delay between his discovery of the Firestone/Ford problem and his report of it to NHTSA. His response was that he just needed to be certain and that he did not delay to help the lawyers' cases.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Great NEWS! I just turned 60 in December and we have two Toyotas!!!

So where is the nearest <people I don't like> rally? The Big Dog is ready to go cruisin' <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm 5 months older so I'm well within the risk pool...heh heh...:D

7. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had occassion to watch Paul Newman the last time he drove in the 24 hours of Daytona. About 2AM in the rain, HARD rain, he spun out at the very same spot three times. The word passed around was that he then foreshortened his turn at the wheel and said something like, "that was my last race".

I think he was nearly 80, if not actually, at the time.

I'll be 70 in July, time to go racing.

If my wife would give her permission.

8. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Flight 405 give a hint:

1 person likes this.
  9. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so age seems to be a correlating factor.

How about occupation, too? For example,
    is there a high percentage who happen to
    be housekeepers?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o.k., o.k., i'm 55 and 5'7". you got me. feel better?:cool:

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, the solution is simple: Toyota can refuse to sell its vehicles to anyone over 40 years of age.

Or, Toyota can continue to try to figure out why its cars log a higher % of these issues than its competitors, and make design changes accordingly (such as throttle override).

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    noooooooooooooooooo! don't relagate me to GM!:eek:

13. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    While Toyota may have a higher percentage of the complaints that has something to do with their higher percentage of vehicles sold. Toyota was 17th in percentage of complaints figuring in the number of vehicles on the road (at least before the Panic set in).

And Toyota has promised the throttle override is coming to all models. Too bad it isn't coming to Ford (number two in number of complaints).

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If this was just elderly drivers, it would be easily explained. How old was the state trooper in the lexus? How about the elderly woman in flint? do you thnk she had her foot on the acceleator for blocks and blocks? Even the broke realator in San Diego, the CHP is sticking by their story, even though Toyota has done everything in their power to discredit this guy. People are still having the sua problem after the recalls,that are not 80 years old. Check with your service departmetn Dead phish.

The damage to toyota has been mind-boggling, the value of toyotas are still dropping at the auction against a rising used vehicle market.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think education is the key. Just as teenage drivers can be dangerous due to error in judgement, older drivers may be prone to different type of error.

16. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Lexus: the dealer was told the floor mat was causing SUA. It was an SUV floormat. They didn't change it out. SUA happened again. The driver fits the other profile in that it wasn't his car.

The elderly woman in Flint? Why not?

Sikes? Toyota didn't need to do anything. He discredited himself. The CHP is going to admit to their trooper being fooled? I doubt that happens.

Pedal misapplication happened to me in my teens. It may happen in my 60s 70s or 80s. It is certainly more likely as brain cells disappear.

And while I feel sorry for Toyota's workers, I'm not selling my Prius soon. And I'm likely to buy a new TMC product in the next year. Not because I hate GM. I just don't think they get it. GM still thinks a small, efficient car has to be cheap. Ford doesn't get it either. Yes, their crossovers are selling now. Will they when gas returns to $4 or $5 a gallon? I think not.

17. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The fact that the CHP stuck by the the broke realtor only speaks to the fact that cops stick together. Cops have a job to do and it does not always involve telling the truth. I had to take some law enforcement classes as part of my degree and I learned a lot more than I bargained for. The instructor was a detective and he had a low opinion of state and local patrolmen in general. After looking at and talking to the would be next generation of patrolmen, I would agree. Scary man!

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why do you think Toyota gets it and GM and Ford do not? How does that make sense. The economy will crash long before gas approaches $5/gallon nationwide. As I have said before whatever recovery we are experiencing is hanging by a thread. YOu want a recovery, build things in the US and stop importing. ANy other recovery is temporary at best.

19. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Frankly it's TMC's hybrids. Low emissions and fuel efficiency city and highway. I like their Tundras and Sequoias as much as I liked the Hummer and the Excursion.

What GM and Ford don't get is that small cars do not have to be inexpensive to sell. Have you used the "build and price" for Mini's? Versus the new Ford Fiesta? And it's not just the price and features. It's also the amount of customization people want. People don't want their car to look just like every other car on the road. Not everyone hates chrome. Not everyone loves it. I like red cars. Why can't I have a red interior? I didn't say TMC got it either. At least I can get an Lexus RX hybrid in red or beige.

As for gas prices, you may be right about what it will do to our tepid recovery, but $5 gas is inevitable. Anyone not planning for it within the next five years is short-sighted IMO of course.

The problem is that American business doesn't want to make anything. They don't know how. Running a manufacturing plant is different from designing new ways to place bets. I guarantee our wages are sufficiently low we could make high-end stuff (other than health care costs) if we wanted to.

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's like asking Pepsi to figure out a way not to put syringes in the Pepsi cans.

1 person likes this.