1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A new oil "drain-tainer"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevewoods, May 9, 2016.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Back in 1980, I met a blue-eyed, blonde-haired Danish dairy farm girl. In the United States. Who was going to college -- arguably so was I.

I fell hard for her. She had an Opel Manta. I had a 10-speed bike. I offered to work on her car. I changed the oil. I bought an oil "draintainer" from Sears. We got married. I still feel pretty lucky.

Except that old oil drain pan is on it's last legs. It is 37 years old in dog years. It looks a lot like a jerry can, with an opening on the flat side. I love it.

Can not find anything like it now. The stuff at the auto stores SUCK. BIG TIME. How can they sell it. Anyone got any suggestions? I paid about $8 originally, but would go up to $8.50 LOL. :p

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pics or it didn't happen.:p

have you looked on amazon? is it a rectangular jug 18 x 24 or so, with a depressed side and plug to catch the oil, then you stand it up and it's a jerry can to pour the oil out? if so, i have the same one. probably the same age, too. :cool: if i can find it, i'd be happy to send it to you, i haven't changed my own oil since i started to make a buck.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To paraphrase John Candy: it's not pretty but it gets the oil where I want it to go. Pretty much indestructible. The funnel's Canadian Tire's largest:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Found what looks like my new container. Not exactly what I want, but the few people I can find that do use tend to rave about it on various forums.
    OilFiltersOnline.com Oil Drain Pan, Oil Recycling Container

The second choice is the following, but it is made for motorcycles and a bit small. BTW, what am I doing up at 4 a.m...:rolleyes:

5. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this what you're looking for?

I have this one and hate it, every time I take the cap off to empty, oil that is collected there spills out because of the turn down spout.

6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    MilkMan, the top one without the elephant nose is the type I am looking for. The image I am posting below is along the same line, it's the Geo Plastic brand that I linked to in an earlier post. I like the lines of this Geo Plastic one a little better than the flo-tool, that you referenced, but the Flo-Tool is for sure the style I am after.

I want something that doesn't leak and is easy to move around. I don't usually take in the oil except once a year or so.

[​IMG]