1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A new Prius owner can trade up her tires!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Taylor, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

One nugget of advice that I cannot use for myself right now I pass along to our astute readers of PriusChat:

The local Goodyear retail store informed me that a new car with less than 500 miles on it can trade up the tires. This costs 40 bucks a tire to go from the Goodyear Integrity (which is a piece of junk) to the Goodyear Comfortred (a user rated tire of high caliber and satisfaction)

In addtion to the trade up cost, you have to pay mounting and balancing and taxes on the difference but it is well worth it. The Comfortreds have 20% less transmitted vibration, a vastly smoother and quiet ride according to the user feedbacks on the sponsor link of Tire Rack.

I intend to upgrade to these tires, since I am sick of the poor performance of the bike tires that are on the car now.

2. bontrra

bontrra New Member

Robert,

Do you know the distinct difference between the tires? It's too late for me since I now have close to 3k on the Prius; however, I may switch to the other ones when it's time to replace them...or even before then.

Do you know if the other tires you are recommending are wider or have a low-profile stance? Better question: Would it affect the mileage/efficiency?

Bontrra

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've heard of several places that offer trade-up opportunities, including Pep Boys and some Toyota dealers. In fact, that is yet another reason I was willing to begin the tire upgrade research so early... so people would know ahead of time what would be available.

4. creditking

creditking New Member

Had a bad time in some snow on a reasonable hill with the Goodyear Integrity that was on the car as delivered. Dumped 'em with my local mechanic (who did get the courtesy how to drive the car lesson from me) for some "agressive" Coopers.

5. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bontrra\";p=\"67190)</div>
    There are reports of the Goodyear Comfortred affecting fuel economy in a negative manner. I have spent quite a bit of time reading the user feedbacks on the sponsored link, Tire Rack. Overall, the feedbacks are that this tire, which is a high premium tire with an extra shock absorbing layer, is the utmost in quiet and noise/vibration reduction.

One apparently solid choice is the Michilen Hydaedge, another premium tire that is over 100 dollars each, sometimes avaliable with a slight discount from Costco. This tire is tops in rain, treadwear. I think I saw John1701a write that he put this tire on his Prius. Feedbacks have been positive from those who have these tires who have posted commentary about both the Comfortred and Hydraedge on PriusChat. The OEM tire is a very basic tire, poorly performing in any sort of inclement weather and poor gripping power. It has a short tread life, many reports of being worn out at 20K miles. It howls at any speed, has the road noise levels of early radials. I had it slip on me in the rear on dry pavement under acceleration getting onto a five lane road. Basically, the description of it being a "bike tire" is about right.

Oh, and the reason I am choosing this particular tire, the Comfortred? My desire is the reduction of vibration, best possible ride. Vibration is the enemy of component life, and getting the tires that will delay the onset of various noises, body rattles, etc. is desirable for me. This tire is a luxury car touring tire. The Hydraedge is a sure bet in the safety and wear catagory.

No matter the tire, there will be some people who have a negative experience, but taken in total the feedbacks are uniformily negative on the OEM tires and positive for the two cited tires.

One Khumo tire was listed with very positive feedbacks, and it is cheap.

Use the listed sponsor link on the left side of the page, follow the links to the Prius and click on manufacturer for the tires, then look at feedbacks.

Feedbacks can be filtered to Toyota's only, which helps give a more apples to apples comparison.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, I have the HydroEdges. With 13,000 miles on them now, I driven through pretty much everything at this point. They are absolutely fantastic on rain and an decent improvement on snow.

For my details, following the collection of links on this webpage... http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-maintain03.htm#Tires

7. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Robert Taylor,

I have had them on my 04 Prius fo r three months now. They ride smooth and now that it has warmed up a little, I have not really noticed a hit in gas mileage.

Ben

8. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    thanks for the info. i called goodyear today and they said they only will take a trade for employes and retired employes of goodyear.my 2005 has 1950 miles on it and i called around and traded for the goodyear assurance comfortrend for 45 each at a local tire store.only have 10 miles on them but will watch and report. thanks again.......

9. CTScribe

CTScribe New Member

TireRack

An objective opinion from a two time Tire Rack customer:

They were just fine to deal with and Fed Ex delivered the tires right to our door just like getting any other package. These were tires recommended by Consumer Reports and put on non-Prius vehicles.