1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A newbie with two questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tom G., Mar 23, 2011.

1. Tom G.

Tom G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi. I just got my dream car, love it, but have two questions:

1. My battery icon is never totally full. Does that last bar ever show up? I doubt it's an issue, but figure if the charge is low now....

2. I've filled four times, and each time the computer shows mileage about 5% better than the actual purchase of gas calculates out. So I'm wondering if the calculation is a little high, of if my gas station is "a little off." I plan to use a few gas stations and compare the results. Anyone else notice this?

By the way, can someone explain to me why people think I'm a tree-hugger, when I bought this because I figure spending an extra three grand for a Prius gives me an 18% return on my investment?

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats on your new Prius and welcome to PriusChat.

1. Your hybrid battery icon will always be a couple bars short of full unless you happen to do a very long downhill run. Unless the battery icons consistently stay very low ( 1 or 2 bars), this is nothing to worry about. The owner's manual talks about this.

2. Many drivers say the same thing. Some drivers may get more or less than display calculations. Check out the mileage threads and/or do a search on MPGs here at PriusChat.

3. I don't know why people call you a tree-hugger. Do you like to hug trees? Maybe it's because your Prius is a hybrid with near zero emissions, high MPGs and great technology!

I like the investment idea. Is that 18 percent pre-tax or after-tax? Is it ROI, or ROA? I'll assume you're thinking 18 percent based upon today's supply/demand pricing.

Have lots of fun in your new Prius. When you drive by gas stations, be sure to wave to the name callers.

3. lolder

lolder New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. The HVB by design is seldom full. Long downhill coasting and braking can fill it up.
    2. The 5% high computation is common.
    3. You've put yourself in a group that may believe in Global warming and may believe it's caused by man. Welcome to the bulls eye.

4. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are a tree hugger because Republicans are in control in NH (I live here too) and they believe in driving Hummers and giving tax breaks to oil companies, not to mention taxing the poor and giving it to the rich.

It is unfortunately humorous that the Republican leadership in NH is going to repeal the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative that is providing lots of money for home insulation for the poor and for alternative energy. Their reason: they don't like tax brakes or tax credits. But then they support tax credits for oil companies at the federal level. A bit disingenuous.

Not that I have an opinion!

5. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Various talking points have been distributed in the media and via word of mouth. Prepare for people to tell you that a Corolla or a Metro would have been a better idea, that a Prius uses more energy than a Hummer, and that the NiMH battery is an environmental nightmare. Congrats on the new Prius.

6. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

7. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh brother ...... :sick: What's a tax brake ??? LOL.

REV

8. Rstaton

Rstaton New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I get mine in a few days, I can drive to the forest and hug all the trees! :rockon:

9. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ALL normal.

10. Tom G.

Tom G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WHOA! I'm just an itty bitty history teacher.

Here's my reasoning. (I'm pasting from another forum.)

If I want a midsized car. I can pay 20,000 for a gas drinker, or spend an extra 3 grand for a sipper Prius.

Say the 20grander gets 30mpg. Pretty good. A Prius gets 50. That's a 66% improvement.

Say gas is $3.50. For someone driving a thousand miles a month, instead of using 33 gallons, one only uses 20. That's a $45.50 savings. Each month. $546 a year

Invest 3 grand someplace and get an 18.2% return. But if you drive 24,000 miles a year, the return is doubled. A 36+% return.

And when you sell your Prius, you'll probably get a premium on trade-in- try to find a used Prius.

(I have no idea which of your ways I used- ROI?)

BTW- I would hug a tree- just before tossing its dismembered limbs into the stove.

11. andrewrohn

andrewrohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a few numbers I came up with...

Do some basic math to find out. If there are NUMEROUS posts on here with miles in the 250,000's (and many that have exceeded 300,000) with relatively minor issues, then I think it's safe to assume they can round at LEAST 500,000 miles before being laid to rest. At 50 MPG, that's 10,000 gallons of gas consumed. Let's compare another car (the average car) that get's 25 MPG. That's 20,000 gallons. And I've yet to see any other car with 500,000 miles on it (though I'm sure there are a few anomolies). They're usually junked after around 200,000 if they make it that long. Let's say the average car makes it to 200,000 (and we're being generous on that.) It would take TWO cars and starting on a third at 50,000 miles to achieve what a Prius can as far as longevity. So, that's not only 10,000 gallons of gas saved (let's round to $4.00 a gallon, since it's currently $3.50, soon to be a hell of a lot higher), You've just saved $40,000 in gas over the life of the Prius. Plus the $20,000 cost of the new car to replace the old one that just couldn't make it to 500,000 miles. Plus the third one at another $20,000. That's a total savings of $80,000 over the life of the Prius.