1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A parking guide for under $10.00.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Arizona Charlie, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

One of the biggest concerns that I have with the Prius is that I cannot see where the front end of the car begins. Thus, it is difficult to judge distance when parking or putting the car in my garage. I finally came up with a solution to this problem.

First I went to the local auto parts store [Pep Boys] and purchased a black painted universal replacement antenna for $7.00. The antenna has a threaded fitting at the bottom end which is designed to attach to the antenna fittings on a Ford, Chrysler, and many other cars.

Then I purchased a 6 millimeter by 1/2 screw to screw into the threaded fitting at the bottom of the antenna. The antenna which you buy may need a different metric screw size but this is an easy problem to solve. Finally I purchased a 1 and 1/2 by 1 and 1/2 angle bracket at the hardware store. This bracket has two holes on each of its arms.

I screwed the antenna into the hole furthest from the end of the bracket and used a lock washer to make certain it would not come loose. Next I used my grinder to cut off the un-used hole and rounded off the end of the bracket.

Next, I removed the license plate frame and license plate from the front of the car. Using the license plate frame as a guide I marked the spot on the un-used arm of the angle bracket and drilled a hole into the bracket so that the hole in the bracket lined up with the hole in the license plate frame. This is where the threaded screw which holds the license plate and frame would go through the antenna bracket and mount it to the car.

That done, I painted the bracket, screw and washer with black spray paint. The final step was to screw a yellow wire nut onto the top of the antenna to make it more visible. After the paint dried I mounted the antenna bracket on the license plate frame holder. Manufacturing time for this procedure was less than one half an hour. The cost for all of the parts to make the parking guide was under ten dollars.

Now, when I sit in the Prius I can see the yellow wire nut which tells me exactly where the front end of the car begins.

If you don’t have the skill or tools to make this bracket, enlist a friend. It is a very easy part to make.

Arizona Charlie

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, you have the wireless option for charging the car! No unsightly plug hanging out the front ;-)

3. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmm, since I'm short, I can't see the front of the car I currently drive :D. Of course, this means I occasionally bang my front license plate against the foot rest thing of my roommate's motorcycle :roll:. It has a very nice assortment of dents (luckily, it only hits on the part of the plate that overhangs the grill and not the car itself... at least I hope).

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have a picture? I would like to see this. I sorry I am just not visualizing this.

5. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bob Allan has posted a picture on page 4 of PriusChat.com Forum Index » Album » Appearance Modifications... with Bob's permission...I went to PEP Boys and bought a fake cel antenna (sale $6) just used the sticky tape base... mounted it on the fat side of the license palate holder...have had it for about a month and 700 miles it seems to be staying and works like a charm... Like Bob I call it my 'static electric receiver' and put my priuschat license plate holder, 'NO I DON'T PLUG IT IN' below... :lol:

Bob

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmm. I see.

Well, I don't have access to or expertise with a grinder.

But I see where this is going.

I'll have to explore parts at Home Depot and auto parts stores to come up with my own alternative. But the spare antennae certainly gets me started.

Eventually I'll learn where the front and back are, just like I did with my Saturn.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Big thanks to A/C

Big thanks to Arizona Charlie. I can't use a grinder but I can use a screw driver! Thanks so much.

8. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

Here's 2 more, for under $2.00.
    If you have any #12 AWG 3 conductor home electrical wire around, pull out about a foot of one of the wires, put a loop in the end, with a pair of needle nose pliers, then attach it under one of the licence plate bolts and add the wire nut to the top.
    You may want to trim it's height and add a small 90 degree bend where it's mounted to the bolt.
    If you don't have any electrical wire around, you can usually pick up, at a home depot, lowes or hobby store, a piece of steel wire for under $2.
    Sometimes found with ceiling tile or sold as 'Rocket' launch pad upright in hobby store.
    It will either be marked as #12 or 10 gauge or look for something around 3/32" diameter.