1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A poor man's HSD keychain

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by geognerd, Dec 29, 2009.

1. geognerd

geognerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An eBay auction just finished on a Prius/Hybrid Synergy Drive keychain. I had read these tend to go for around $50, and this was no exception. It went for $52 and I got outbid earlier. Can't justify spending 50 bucks on a keychain, even if it is a cool one.

I have a question. Do you think it would be possible to buy one of the HSD badges (like the one on the trunk) and make your own "poor man's" version of the keychain? I'm not sure what the reverse side of the HSD badge looks like. If it's smooth, it probably wouldn't look too bad. If the HSD badge is concave or hollow on the back, I was thinking of gluing on a piece of plastic or metal to make it smooth. Maybe even gluing on a second HSD badge might work. My last concern is about the durability of the HSD badge. Would it be able to handle being beat up by keys and other objects in my pocket, or would some sort of coating need to be put on?

Any thoughts about this DIY keychain idea?

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The back is some what hollow. You could buy to and put them together but it would be pretty thick plus the badge is pretty big to begin with. It also made of plastic. It would get beat up pretty quick being next to metal keys.

I know all this because I bought one just so I could have one.

I really wish Toyota would make more of these Prius/Hybrid stuff available. 95% of the cool toys and stuff stay in Japan and in limited quantity.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Don't know about cost but how 'bout this:

[​IMG]

SKS built right into a watch

Wrist Dreams: Toyota Car Key Watch

I'm waiting for the version built into (or can be added to) your phone
    ;)

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I want mine implanted under my skin. Won't ever lose it.

5. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had one of those dandy HSD keychains for my 2005, and it was cool indeed.

However, the key fobs themselves got beaten up by the metal keychain tag in my trousers pocket over the years. That hard, heavy metal was too much for those membrane-style pushbuttons. Of the two fobs I have for my 2005, only one has working pushbuttons right now, and the other one had been previously replaced in warranty.

For my 2010, I have lightweight plastic keychain tags from my dealer. I have high hopes my key fobs will not fail in the next five years.