1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A positive post for CoastalEtech

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by philwojo, Jun 3, 2007.

1. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just wanted to put up something positive with my experience with CoastalETech, I know they get a lot of bad "press" around here.

I ordered 3 kits for my 2006 Pkg #8 Prius from them, the Lock Pick 3, the EV mode kit, and the auto door lock kit.

I ordered all 3 at the same time and had them shipped and at my door in less than 1 week total, with the jelly beans in the box :) .

I put the Lock Pick 3 in in about 5 mins top, very simple and easy to do, and works great.

I waited until yesterday to do the other two as I was also going to hard wire in my valentine one radar detector. I watched and read some stuff from here on those two and read the instructions provided, which were all very helpful.

Had never taken any part of my dash off before, but it all went smooth. Had all the taps in and hooked everything up, or so I thought, and started up the car. Had lots of blinking lights, woops!! Looked back at the plug I had to take out and found it wasn't totally clicked back in, thought I heard it click before, woops.

Now I pushed it in and started it back up, but still had the warning lights, so I power cycled the car (on/off) 4 or 5 times and it cleared, but still had a check engine light on. Took it for a drive and the EV mode worked, but the auto door locks did not, not at any speed.

Went to the coastaletech web site and called their support number on a Saturday morning and got what appeared to be an answering service that took my information and a description of my problem. They said they would try and get someone to call me back. Less than 10 minutes later I my phone was ringing and Kelly from CoastalEtech was on the line with me. Told her about what I had done, and she had me disconnect my 12V battery in the back (Also new for me) and that cleared my Check Engine light. But my auto locks still did not work. I have emailed them for a replacement module for that and I am waiting on a response now, but that email didn't go out to later in the day yesterday.

So, I got my shipment fast, and everything went in very easy using their directions, and I had to call their support line and they called me back no problem. All-in-all a great experience with this company. Again, just wanted to give them something positive as I almost always see people complaining about their slow ordering and poor customer support, I had totally the opposite experience.

So now I have the lock pick3 in and working, have the EV mode, and hardwired my radar detector, just waiting to get the new module for the auto-door locks and I'll be all set. Just need to order a replacement cabin air filter now as I found mine was pretty dirty at about 18,000 miles.

Thanks for the great products and all the help CoastalEtech!!!

Phil

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since you ordered 3 items, did you get 3 times as many jellybeans?

3. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lenjack @ Jun 3 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]454633[/snapback]</div>

Nope just one bag.

Phil

4. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So I was looking at all this stuff, earlier, and I am looking for an answer.

Does the lockpick require any sort of fiddling which can void warrenty? Or is it just go here, plug this in here, and unplug it when you wanna take it in for service, like some kind of sterio system?

5. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Jun 4 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]454892[/snapback]</div>

I know there are several versions of the lock pick, but the version I got, which does not implement any video stuff, it just unlocks the NAV features and BT stuff while driving (all I needed), is a simple plug in device.

You unplug one connector from the NAV system under the drivers seat. Plug the connector in to the coastaletech kit, then take the other plug from the kit and plug it in where you pulled the one out of the NAV system under the seat.

You could always go backward if you wanted to as well.

Phil

6. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So in your experience for that lockpick, it is 100% completely and absolutely reversible? Moving the front seat or getting to that cable doesn't break any kind of.. i dont know (i know electronics have warrenty stickers for example) a sticker or some such which might tell them that i've messed with something? Something entirely stealth that they could never figure?

7. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Jun 4 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]454950[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing that I saw on my 2006, no stickers, nothing. It is a plug, you unplug it and plug in another one. Reverse if you want to put it back to normal.

Phil

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have Coastal's EV mod, Auto-Lock and NAV kit (pre-Lockpick) for some time. I've never removed the mods when it goes in for service.

9. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i'm going to chime in here, too..... i've wanted to post here since i placed my order, but wanted to wait until it was recieved and installed.

i ordered the hitch, lockpick3 and power outlet mod the day after i picked up my prius. i had read all the good and bad posts in here, but since they are the only place that had the lockpick and the best hitch (to carry our bikes... VERY important to us).... we ordered.

during the order... the lockpick3 showed up as backordered in the cart. i debated completing the order or splitting it so as to not cause the other items (namely the hitch which we needed for this coming weekend) to be held up, as some companies do not split shipments. so i backed up, placed the hitch and power outlet order, then immediately placed the lockpick3 order. oops.... that caused my card to flag fraud... unfortunately i was at work and used my home email. so i get home and already had an email from kelly (time stamped shortly after placing the orders) telling me about the "fraud"... i also had TWO emails with tracking numbers... 2? hmmmmm is the lockpick in stock? i contacted the credit card, then emailed kelly.... asking about the lockpick23 and explaining why i had split the orders and if it was, in fact, ready to be shipped... could i combine the orders to save shipping charges!? i got back a response that there was no problem combining, then got another email telling me about the refund for the difference in shipping!

my order left the next day (as confirmed by the tracking status, pick up and routing).... it arrived yesterday (darned holiday caused us to miss getting it last friday). got a phone call from UPS on sunday saying we had a signature required package coming....

everything arrived safe and sound.... including the jelly belly's that i had already informed hubby were MINE since "I" placed the order! lol! he got them all installed with the excellent instructions....

when i got home with the iPod and it wasn't... ahem... working to play a movie.. i placed a call, got an answering service who said she would page tech support.... and even though it was 9:00 back east... kelley returned our call and explained what we needed/what were were doing wrong (video cable and booboo hubby had done on the install).... and she also explained about some other booster thingamabob thing we could use if we wanted to...

i have NO complaints or problems iwth coastaletch... and for all you sarcastic ones.. NO... they did no pay me to write this.... and until i got my prius i had never heard of them before... this is all me writing this!

i say: order without fear!

p.s. i also asked the status of their ipod interface... sadly she has no update *pout*... so i'll just be patient and keep checking their site... it's in the hands of the manufacturer!

10. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I put up a post mentioning an issue I am having with their mods and Bluetooth on the other thread.