1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Prius in hand ??

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Varko, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's cliche, but a Prius in the hand is worth...?

Could you believe it?!!

After saying I would not buy from Moses Lake, they called this morning to say they have a 2005 Tideland AM (the car I want) and offered it to us at MSRP! I could not believe it, after I wrote yesterday that I would not buy from them because they were greedy and changed their pricing policy.

http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?...r=asc&&start=35

We got on the phone to Burlington where we had an 'order' and we were number 12 on the list with 2 others wanting the same car ahead of us. They just had received word yesterday that they had a silver AM and white BC, both 2005, due in. No one ahead of us on the list had noted interest in them, so they offered them to us. The BC was out due to color. We agonized for hours abou the silver AM, calling and asking about our options:

If Burlington could swap with Moses Lake? - No; I understand due to the increase of expense to the dealerships.

I had read here that someone's dealer was able to swap allocations to get the car they wanted, so-
    Could they swap with someone else who is allocated a Tideland that they don't have yet? - Not likely, many orders are for Tideland or Seaside.

That's when we asked how many ahead of us ordered the same car (2). We also found out that they had only seen about 4 Tidelands in they last 6 months. It could be a long wait.

Moses Lake called back around 5pm and my husband tried to get them to throw in the extended warranty or sweeten the pot, but they wouldn't - not surprising. We told them that it would be a few weeks before we could get over there and they said that wouldn't be a problem. We declined because at this point we do not trust them. And we don't want to go all that way to be surprised with add-ons or other "oh, didn't we tell you"s.

Finally, I decided that a Prius in the hand was better than a green one. We said we would take the silver one from Burlington. We will ask to stay on the list for a Tideland and perhaps keep or sell the silver one, if it comes in.

We don't have many details about the car yet. They say they just learned about it yesterday. Apparently Tuesdays are when most of the dealers around here learn about their allocations. Our salesperson said they would have more details next Tuesday, but that the car was about 4 weeks away.

After thinking about it, Moses Lake probably doesn't have the car in their lot like they gave the impression of. I'll bet that they got their allocation info yesterday and offered us the allocation.

I have to let off some steam-
    :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

This shouldn't be this stressful.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

My position is usually to "stick to your guns" (I mean, I'm sticking to mine, rather than calling up Moses Lake and saying, "Hey, I hear you're getting EXACTLY the car I'm looking for...").

However, reading PriusChat over the last couple of weeks, my feeling is that the tide is turning -- that dealers are really starting to get more Prii in, and that the wait will begin to dwindle.

It already seems to be resulting in the unheard of situation of Prii being offered to people at MSRP, off the top of deck (so to speak).

Good -- the Prius has been a ridiculous seller's market long enough. Hopefully it will just transform into a solid seller's market.

3. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with you - the tide is turning. Last night after deciding on the silver one. I remembered to see if Dianne had posted the latest allocation numbers for SoCal. They are getting a whopping 561 Prii for the last half of the month. That is over double of what they usually get, except the exceptionally high month of July. So I think Toyota has finally gotten the picture and ramped up production of the 2005 model. If this trend continues they will get over 1000 allocations in October, increasing their numbers by a third to double to that of the past. That is significant.

That green one may not be as far away as I thought.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

And Bob Allen just posted that Toyota of Lake City says their waiting list wait is now down to ~4 months.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    varko:

dont hold out for a green Prius. the reason i say that is because i have a tideland and it aint green, its a light charcoal gray. its too bad i miss you at brad's house, then you could have seen first hand what they look like.

6. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did get a look at another Toyota car with a similar green and when we bought our minivan (shame on us, but I'm reformed now) a few years ago Ford's green was the same. In overcast conditions it was gray, in bright sun it could be green. But I kind of like the dark gray and it is different than silver. After making this decision I have seen tons of silver vehicles on the roads in the last day.

I'm sorry I missed you too. I might/hope to make it down this Sunday and maybe I can see your car then.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    umm. i dont know if you know what im talking about. the only time tideland even remotely resembles green is in very low light.

in bright sunlight it looks even grayer. keep in mind that the classic Prius has a color of green that is light years away from what i have

8. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmm...have you washed it lately? :p

That is different than I expected, but I am still not totally sold on silver. I will really try to make it down to Bellevue to see your car. There is suppose to be some sun, so maybe I will get a chance to see what you mean.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i wash my Priuscess every week rain or shine!!

10. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is just one more thing I am looking forward to. Now when I wash our van it is like washing two cars and I can never get the center of the roof even with a handled brush. I even have to get on a ladder if I want to get the windshield really clean.

A Prius will be a joy to wash. ahhhh :angel:

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ahh a another hidden joy of Prius ownership!!

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I really, really like the Tideland's color -- grayish green; I've seen it in person several times, and as Dave says, it really changes in different light. (Though my impression was that it was getting greener in bright direct light (well, maybe "olive-er" :) ).

My broker tells me that's the color my AM package is coming in; hope he's right!

13. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I saw a post on the yahoo Prius-2G board that the Tideland green gets better mileage than the gray one does... hold out for the green :lol: :lol:

All kidding aside.....

Tideland does NOT have a corresponding Toyota color... Tideland is a Prius color only... you really need to see one...

Bob Andersen

14. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just about have myself convinced that silver won't be so bad, when you guys come along.

I might just have to leave it up the the Prius gods.

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Varko\";p=\"41471)</div>
    That's the way to go! Go with the flow and accept your karma. If you were meant to have a silver you were.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    silver ??

EEEEWWEEOOH!!

well actually, if i had a choice now of waiting an extra day and getting another color, i say keep the color and love it as i would your own...(shows im not prejudiced towards WASP's: White American Sports cars...)

i know i whine about the lack of glowing greeness sometimes, but deep down, i have become very attached to my tideland Prius and have only mentioned the color to soften your disappointment in getting a SUPER silver one Varko.

i love my car... i hope you can learn to love yours as well and i have full confidence in you to do the right thing...

17. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Dave,

Now that I have seen Tideland in the wild I don't mind silver so much. Tideland is nice, but it is darker than I expected. You are right in the sun it becomes more olive. Silver is a fine compromise. The only thing is that, particularly in Bellevue, it seemed like nearly all the cars were silver. Although I think I'm going to like the grey interior better.

I didn't think I liked the Salsa red, it seemed too bright, but I saw it in the wild in Vancouver B.C. a few weeks ago and now I think that is the color I like the best. But I hear from our dealership that that is a popular color also.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Salsa is good. Too wild for me. :oops: What would people think if I drove such a car? Actually do people think? Sometimes I wonder however I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. There are a few that I am not sure of....

19. epic

epic New Member

Old topic, but...

Tideland Pearl is discontinued for the 2006 model year by the reports I've read. Anyone who has a tideland (which I personally have yet to see) now has a vintage color.

Thought that slice of info might be interesting, though it's probably been posted elsewhere on PriusChat a few zillion times :)