1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Prius that drives 100 km / 60 miles in EV (Belgium, Europe).

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by WaWa, Aug 27, 2014.

1. WaWa

WaWa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My name is Walter and I am from Brussels, Belgium. Frustrated by the short electric range of my Pius-II, I decided to transform my 2008 Prius into a plug-in hybrid with 100 km / 60 miles electric range with all Hybrid functionalities unaltered.
    Therefore I used 2040 18650-type batteries in following configuration:
    30 clusters of 3.6 V, 2.2 Ah in parallel (= 66 Ah) from these: 68 in series to arrive at 244.8 V. ► 244.8 V x 68 Ah = 16156 Wh = 16.15 kWh ◄
    In order to install the battery pack, I got help from an electro-mechanic, Nico de Visser, from Eindhoven in the Netherlands. The Prius was finished with a plug under the rear bumper in order to be able to charge easily from the grid (you can see that in the pictures-link). The battery pack is nicely put under the trunk-panel so the cargo space remains unaltered. The cooling of the battery pack is taken care of by the existing blower that sucks air from the cabin. adjusted at a higher speed.Its speed is monitored by a thermostat.
    So, my Prius doesn’t use any gasoline during normal day-by-day usage, since it is never more than 60 miles. This means I can go for several weeks without using a drop of gasoline. Still, I do 15.000 km / 10.000 miles/year.
    To see a lot of pictures:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cbfr9gbmu5wwuds/AAC9FXrN6NAHoaVSLvTyr9y_a
    also:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cbfr9gbmu5wwuds/AACanaxKcPr9rDT5gQdeNqIpa/Artikel
    Kindest regards,
    Walter

#1 WaWa, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Tideland Prius, R-P, Pantelis and 5 others like this.
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Impressive. You'll be after a job at Tesla.

Not sure I'd be keen with that weight of batteries behind me though. Did you upgrade the suspension.

3. WaWa

WaWa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes Grumpie, I did change the springs. You can see it on one of the pictures: the blue springs. They came with a CEE certificate, so I am safe for the technical control (a state-obligation here in Belgium). I had this control once and had no remarks (10/10).
    BTW, the weight is not so much with these batteries: 85 kg (x2 for lbs, I think). The whole system is enclosed in a very strong steel case. The total weight is about 100 kg (x2 for lbs).
    Kind regards,
    Walter

Data Daedalus and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It looks nice Walter. Can you tell us how much money the conversion cost, I imagine it wasn't cheap. :)

5. WaWa

WaWa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uart,
    Well, 2040 x $ 2.5 = $ 5100 + charger $ 800 + steel case $ 500 + $ controller + Battery Management System Orion + software many, many small parts = must be over $ 10.000 in parts alone. If you want all the details, I can add a scan of the invoice.
    Plus many week-ends and evening work, plus angry wife. ...But now she is not complaining anymore as the gas is no part of the houshold budget anymore... And we enjoy a silent car.
    Kind regards,
    Walter

#5 WaWa, Aug 27, 2014
  6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No that's ok. I was thinking about $10k in parts, so you've confirmed what I was estimating.

Yes, it looks like it was (at least in part) a labour of love. :)

BTW. Did you use "solder tab" batteries or just the regular "nipple" type. From the photos it looks like just the plain nipple type, just wondering what mounting technique you used to keep them making good electrical contact.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Walter. Do the individual cells have tags spot welded on for connection purposes? Or are they just stacked together in the
    case.
    From the pictures it looks like you have removed the OEM battery but retained the control contactors. Were you able to keep the original battery ECU and regen capability?

John (Britprius)

8. WaWa

WaWa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uart,
    No soldering involved. That would have been too much work manually. The nipple type was used. Alongside of the cells there are endless-screw-bars (sorry, there must be a name in English) used and the batteries are staying in place by sheer pressure. You can see that very clearly on picture # 20 in the first link. In spite of the Belgian roads they stay firmly in place. Simple solutions are sometimes the best.
    Best regards | Walter

@Britprius: The Original battery had to be removed. All the Original functions, like regen are working well. In fact, better: the 16.5 kWh battery is regened to a much higher level and therefore for long distances - above 60 miles - the consumption is only 1/3th of the original MpG.
    Regards to you too.

#8 WaWa, Aug 27, 2014
  9. WaWa

WaWa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    See my answer to Uart. Thanks.

Walter

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very similar to the original Japanese only Prius from 1997-2001. That used D cells soldiered into tubes of about 7 if I recall.

There are a few of these still running on UK roads, though they're quickly becoming extinct.

11. WaWa

WaWa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Possible. I do not know the Prius I well. I know one in Holland.

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No it was the JDM RHD only Prius which was made before the Prius gen1 which was later released in the US and Europe. It looks very similar but didn't have a rear spoiler and the internals were completely different.

[​IMG]

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you for your quick replies. I think you will now be spending many days here answering questions.
    What now is your maximum EV speed without the engine turning on? I can see that much work, and thought has gone into this project.
    I do feel not using tagged cells may give trouble for you as the battery pack ages. Not from movement of the cells but from corrosion of the contact surfaces. I hope I am proven wrong.

John (Britprius)

14. WaWa

WaWa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    John,
    My max speed is 118 km/h (plaese calculate - must be about 73 m/h., as from 119 it jumps to mixed mode with very low consumption. As soon that I slow down it reverts to EV. I do not expect trouble. If corrosion would come, it will be around the contact - not in-between. I hope.

#14 WaWa, Aug 27, 2014
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done wawa!(y) that is a labour of love, thanks for sharing it with us. how much is petrol in your area and electricity? thank you!

16. WaWa

WaWa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    B.,
    A full charge, good for 62 miles in EV cost $ 4.00 when charging during the day. Usually, when at home, I charge overnight – cost half = $ 2.00.
    The same distance at normal Prius petrol consumption = $ 13.
    Note that the ICE requires much less maintenance and less oil replacements.
    And my Prius is as quiet as a flying carpet...
    Regards | W.

#16 WaWa, Aug 27, 2014
    Data Daedalus and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! that's wonderful compared to gas. i pay $3.50 for 60 miles of gas and $2.00 anytime charge for 60 miles electric. thanks!

18. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gas must be cheap where you live. Or you get get really good mileage.

My 05 prius gets 45.0 mpg avg = 1.33 gal per 60 mile. Local gas is $3.37 gal x 1.33 =
    $4.50 per 60 miles driven.

$10000 cost to convert divide by $3.37 gal = 2967 gal of fuel ( the number is always changing due to fuel prices) but let's convert the to miles @ 45 mpg = 133531 miles of driving.

You must drive at least 10 more years to accumulate that mileage assuming an annual 12,500 mile per year just to break even on the initial investment. Your also buying electricity during this period. Let's add charging cost to the equation and probably pushes it out to 14 yrs. Mean while your car has depreciated to $1000 at best.

Now let's use WaWa numbers. $13 /1.33 = $9.75 gal

$10,000 \ $9.75 gal = 1026 gal of fuel
    1026 x 45 mph = 46170 driven miles or
    About 3.8 yrs for the break even point. This does not include the cost of charging. If I had to guess, the added cost would move the ROI out to 5 yrs. before you realize any cost savings.

In the end this investment should pay off for WaWa if he keeps the car another 5 + years

It would likely never happen for bisco.

19. WaWa

WaWa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello guys,

I do have some difficulties to deal with miles and gallons, but I understand enough from your calculations too agree fully with a ROI of 5+ years – even more than that. Particularly with the European price of fuel that is almost double of yours.

However, ROI has never been much of a concern for me - as I had other reasons to keep myself busy with this project. If I may, I would like to make you understand why: I had a very active professional life in a high-tech business. I am now retired since five years or so, and in order not to end up in a ‘black hole’, I had to compensate for the sudden stop of being busy. Therefore, I joined a small group running a computer help-site for people with problems on their Pc (we do this free of charge – as a hobby). And at the same time I spent – almost obsessively - a lot of my free days on the internet looking for information on electrifying my Prius. O nce knowing how to deal with it, I looked for proper help as I did not have a good workshop and all the necessary tools to end up with a decent product. Another six months of so went by until we had a working system. In doing so, I am sure that I avoided a depression or at least an uncomfortable time.

As I said before, I now enjoy driving a quiet car and also (almost) never have to make a stop at a service station. I make a middle finger to the gas-stations and the sheiks, while I treat my car like my cellphone by connecting it practically every evening to the grid and have it ready in the morning for 62 miles in EV for $ 2.00. On longer trips my fuel consumption is only 1/3th of that before, due to a more efficient use by having 16.3 kWh of battery capacity.

All the best and kind regards from the old world.

Walter

Pantelis likes this.
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Walter,
    Thanks for sharing!

I have this vague recollection from past discussions of converting the G2 Prius to mostly EV of a potential problem related to ICE (petrol engine) dependent lubrication of a non-engine part. I'm sorry I cannot be more informative. Ring a bell ? I'm wondering how you solve the problem.