1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a pulse and glide question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by pappyt, Jun 5, 2007.

1. pappyt

pappyt Junior Member

instead feathering the gas peddle to go into the pulse and glide will it hurt anything to just put it in neutral ? and coast that way

2. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pappyt @ Jun 5 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]456013[/snapback]</div>

This question has come up before and to make a long story short the general consensus is to NOT shift into N and to simply just feather, for the best results.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've lately been playing with the used of neutral in lieu of maintaining the 'no arrow glide' condition by feathering the pedal. It works well, but I miss the ability to fine-tune the glide by adding a little pressure to the pedal to extend the glide if needed. Also, you've got to be very careful to put it back into D before you apply the brakes or you miss out on the regen.

Finally, you have to make sure the ICE is off when you go into neutral otherwise it will continue to run during your entire Neutral glide.

Although I'm going to continue my experiments, I think I'm sticking with the 'old school' feathered pedal glide most of the time.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I use Neutral when it's cold outside and I can't go into Glide.

For example, when I'm coming to a stop light and the engine doesn't seem to want to shut off. The only thing is that when you want to use the regenerative braking you need to shift back into [P]. It would be a waste to apply the mechanical brakes in Neutral.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Tony meant shift into [D], not [P]

6. priussoris

priussoris New Member

lets hope maybe too much sauce :)

7. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can't confirm, but I've actually heard that shifting into neutral to slow down may be illegal. It probably isn't a good idea IMO because it would limit your ability to react in an emergency situation.

8. echase

echase New Member

Coasting in neutral is illegal in many states, California and Georgia (where I have lived) for sure. It's dangerous in any state, since you cannot accelerate for unforseen circumstances.

Forcing the ICE off with the use of neutral is unwise, inneficient and may cause harm to your catalytic onverter.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Jun 5 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]456203[/snapback]</div>
    It's impossible to force the ICE off w/ neutral and won't cause harm to the catalytic converter in any way.

10. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use neutral at times when I get a cramp in my ankle from pulse and gliding with no issues.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For testing, I used "N" to ensure the glide is a ballistics glide:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were 25-43 Pulse and Glide and 34 mph constant speed. I wanted to compare and contrast two methods that maintain an average of 34 mph. In this particular case, P&G came in about 10% better:
    [​IMG]

Yet I have other data using a narrower P&G range closer to the optimum speed, 18 mph, and steady state came in better than P&G:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In all of these tests, the glide used "N", a completely ballistics glide. I have not tried any 'feathering' tests because without automation, it is difficult to quantify and replicate the results.

Bob Wilson

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 5 2007, 08:22 PM) [snapback]456170[/snapback]</div>
    Pammit, Evan. Derhads the droblem was drecicated by some jokester swadding the pamned keys on my keyboarp. Pip you take the time to conciper that dossibility?

:lol: B)