1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A question about using navigation that's plaguing me.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaguaraja, Apr 22, 2005.

1. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

I use the navigation almost daily in my deliveries of diabetic supplies. I enter in a customer's address and I go. The problem I have has been bugging, but may have a simple solution.

When I finally get to the last street at the end of navigating, she'll say 'the destination is ahead on the left/right'. Fine, at this point I need to know the house number and keep an eye out for it. It's at this point that I forgot the house number that I originally entered and I have to go back to my invoice to look up the house number.

Is there a quick place to view the house number I'm looking for or a way for the navi to 'say it'? The navi took me all this way, but is not able to help me by letting me know which house number I'm looking for. Am I missing something?

2. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

Your destination appears on the map as an icon, right? If you touch the destination icon, it should give you info at the top of the MFD. If you touch the 'info' button at the right, it should display the info you want.

(saying this from memory, but give it a shot)

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Once you stop, you should be able to use the Previous button on the Map menu. That should show the last entered address.

Without a NAV mod, you have to stop, even just briefly, to get the button to enable...

4. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

those ideas didn't work. I'm surprised this issue hasn't come up before. Especially with those who frequently use navigation.
    it's really awkward to type in the number of the address and when you approach the destination, to not have access or be told what the house number is. I would count this as a huge failing.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Odd about Previous not working out. Maybe it's only there after the destination has been reached or cleared out...

6. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You might try pressing Route & then Destination Delete. I believe that the current destination info is then displayed. You can use the back button to cancel the action so you don't actually have to delete it.

7. popoff

popoff New Member

Along the same lines, I was driving to a destination yesterday, within the city limits, using the NAV function. Without warning, when I was within a mile of my destination, the lady told me the NAV function could take me no further and said goodbye, leaving me high and dry.

I have a Delorme GPS and their Street Atlas program, total cost $125, that I use on my laptop is superior to any built in NAV system I have seen.

8. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

$125 plus the laptop...

9. raf

raf Junior Member

I've had this happen to me too. It took away the turns that it already had displayed!!

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: Howdy popoff and raf...

When you find yourself in an area not mapped in detail, as in small towns, county areas, etc., the NAV system will take you near your destination but not to the street address or sometimes not even to the street. It's amazing to me the detail provided on a single DVD, but there are limitations.

11. popoff

popoff New Member

12. popoff

popoff New Member

Your point?

I've had a laptop since 2000 and have moved it from car to car as I needed it. I used it on an airliner once, before they made it a no-no, and it was fun to track the trip.

I would guess that a poll of Prius owners would show that a great majority already have a laptop.

13. DanP

DanP Member

And you don't really need the laptop if you get maps that are compatible with your handheld GPS receiver. My Meridian can use maps from Magellan MapSend software. Its routing feture works well. The receiver and the software together run about $300. For about $1,000 you can get a nicer model with a color screen and voice directions (my little Meridian model just beeps when a turn is coming up).

14. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you switch the map view to compass mode, it should have your current location and destination listed, both address and coordinaties. If you selected a destination as a POI (as opposed to inputting address) it will just list the POI name, not the actual address.

Anytime I put in an address with incomplete data along the way, she informs me at the start. I've never been unexpectedly dumped and totally unprepared.

It has been against federal air regulations for passengers to use GPS devices on commercial aircraft before 2000. The regulation doesn't discern between radio devices that receive only vs. those that transmit and receive.

15. popoff

popoff New Member

I get that message every time I leave my home since the first two or three miles are not covered by the system. I'm new to this system and just did not expect to be dumped within the city limits of the county seat in a fairly major city.

As far as GPS being illegal on airplanes, it has been only the last year or two that they have added GPSs to the announcement of the no-no list. Have you read that the FAA is considering allowing the use of cell phones in flight?

16. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's been debated if there's any real danger with radio devices in the cabin or not... plus lots of politics as usual. My guess is the announcements came about as GPS became more common, the airlines write their own announements and they differ between carriers.

17. Erick

Erick Member

What's the NAV mod? I would love to be able to hit the blacked out buttons while I drive (or have my passanger do this).

Thanks!

18. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Before I udated the Nav DVD, I could get directions right to my house but the roads nearby that they redid 7 years ago were not there so it would appear as if I were running off the road into neverland. Since the upgrade, those roads have been corrected but as I get closer to home the nav lady tells me she can't help me anymore with three turns left to make. Thank God the car knows the way or I'd be in trouble.

19. popoff

popoff New Member

20. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I would prefer a built-in Nav with the screen on the dash to a laptop that takes up space in the cabin. On the other hand, if your copilot is using a laptop anyway, then there's no penalty.