1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Source for a Reasonably Priced OEM EV Switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by rerstad, Oct 1, 2004.

1. rerstad

rerstad New Member

I found this site mentioned buried in a post somewhere, but thought I'd make it more prominent for anyone looking for an OEM EV Switch. I got a quote from japanparts.com of 3,700 Yen for the switch (400 of that is the optional housing), 1,200 Yen for shipping and a 260 Yen mail-order credit card fee. A grand total of 5,160 Yen. Using the Universal Currency Converter, that means a current total price of $46.80 for all of that. Much better than what I've seen them go for on ebay (including the current auction that charges $24.99 for domestic US shipping!)

I haven't used them, but the other post I read sounded like things went well. I'm debating whether to keep my headlight flasher mod or go with the OEM switch. We'll see where I end up.

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yup! Mine arrived Wednesday. Express mail flew through customs, no problem. They haven't even charged my credit card yet, but have agreed to 5160 Yen (about $47). This included both the button and the connector.

Nate

P.S. I'm adding this to the FAQ...

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nate, does it come with installation instructions?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They're available here in the Knowledge Base...I doubt they would have instructions, and if they did they'd likely be in Japanese.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks Evan. I knew you had posted how to put in a switch in the console as you did, but I didn't know if there was something for the EOM switch in its 'proper' location.

6. rerstad

rerstad New Member

If I recall correctly, the housing (part no. 90980-10964) isn't necessary for installation since we don't have the wiring harness. Is that right? (It'd save a few bucks off the price.)

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ummm, for my installation I opted for the housing. It's not a switch housing, it's pin housing (a plug) that goes to the switch. I'm not sure how exactly to keep the pins connected and keep them from shorting without the connector. Toyota would certainly not consider it properly installed without one. It was less than 4 dollars, so for me if it saves 4 minutes it's worth it. I also opted for the Genuine Toyota lead wires to do the job right. I will be soldering and heat shrinking the connectors as well.

Technically, you don't need the housing, but technically you don't need the button because you can use any button from radio shack, but technically you don't need any button because you can always touch two wires together every time you want EV mode, and technically you don't need that because the computer will give you EV mode...

It's all up to you what you want to do to your car. For me, my choice was OEM equivalent, so button, pin housing connector, and oem pins soldered and shrink tubed in place. (Up to Toyota spec).

Nate

8. rerstad

rerstad New Member

Makes sense to me now. I wan't sure what the purpose of the housing was before.

Thanks.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It can be done without the housing, but it would not be easy and there would be no way to easily remove the button and then replace it. Spend the extra couple bucks and save yourself the headaches.

10. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Price sounds about right... EV swich is expensive and difficult to get..I ordered before from Toyota. They ask me bunch a question

11. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At our OC Meet today we talked about the EV Buttons. Toyota has issued some kind of Voiding of the warranties if you have installed an EV Button on a 2004-2005 Prius. Hopefully Cathy can post the info that she gave us at the Meet.

12. Mike N

Mike N New Member

Naterprius,
    What is official Toyota wire? You posted "Genuine Toyota lead wires". Is the Toyota logo printed on the insulation or something?

Mike

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not quite the Toyota logo, but there is a Toyota part number, and they fit the connector pin housing precisely, as opposed to the radio shack solution. I regret that I do not have the part number available because I gleaned my lead wires from an old harness connector. (This way I get different colors as well. The ones you order from Toyota are all the same color). An example of the genuine Toyota lead wire is part number 82998-126900 which fits the HV ECU. It MAY be the same one as the EV switch, I have not checked.

My point is that even my pins and leads are genuine Toyota, and their official wiring repair spec is fully met. (Not that there is much to worry about with the aftermarket pins, but I wanted pin fit quality that is worthy of the 15 year life I expect out of this car).

Nate

14. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

nateprius can you get the wire leads for the EV switch part from a US Toyota dealer or does it have to be from an over seas source. I just ordered the OEM EV switch and harness from japanparts.com but did not know about the wire leads.

Justin

15. ifftster

ifftster New Member

A word of warning on the oem lead wires going into the hv ecu. i bought 2 of them thinking how great it would be if everything were genuine. i found pushing those pins into the plug to be extremely difficult. i broke one after 7 or 8 attempts. with the second pin i got it in as far as i could ( about an eigth of an inch sticking out of plug) and tried it but it made no contact. i quit for the night. day 2 i pulled flasher pins and compared them. the shape is close but not the same and the flasher pin seemed a bit longer. pushed all the way with first try. done in 5 minutes 0 frustration. cost me 24.95 for the 2 oem wires with pins.
    got a little long winded there.. :wink: