1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A speeding ticket? In a pokey little Prius?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by p21usa, May 28, 2006.

1. p21usa

p21usa New Member

On April 30th I got caught in a speed trap in infamous Tifton, GA. I saw the cop on the overpass well before I got there and looked down at my speedo to see that I was going 76mph. I let up on the gas and dropped immediately to 66mph. I wasn't too surprised when the beer-bellied deputy sheriff pulled me over (as three other smokies were pulling over cars). He said the radar car on the overpass clocked me at 85 mph in a 65 zone...wha?! That translates to reckless driving in my home state and stays on my license/insurance for 11 years! So much for my 20-year clean driving record.

Fast forward to yesterday, and the letter I wrote to the Clerk of Superior Court down there must have tugged at the right heartstrings because they are lowering my ticket to "defective equipment". So, my 3 month old Prius has a bum speedometer, huh? Yeah, right. Must be, though, because a Prius can't go 85mph that easily ;)

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p21usa @ May 28 2006, 02:34 PM) [snapback]262127[/snapback]</div>
    Good for you but if he would have said "you in a heap 'O' trouble. You’ll was going 130" I would have said no way, but 85 yes you can do that on the flat and with a full battery on the up hill! Daxx you are in good company we got stopped in the same area on the way to spring break in 68. Some things never change!! So what did it cost, as I remember the 6 of us had to pony up about 7 bucks each. That was a long time ago in a land far far away. Gas was under .50.

3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p21usa @ May 28 2006, 05:34 PM) [snapback]262127[/snapback]</div>
    I drove through a speed trap today in a residential area (30MPH) just down the street from my house.

People in front of me were braking for what appeared to be no reason and I was about to wail on the horn, when I realized about 50ft ahead of me were two cops - one with the radar gun pointing our way and the other writing tickets. Fortunate for me, I was following someone else who was driving the limit, or else I may have been caught as I usually drive about 40MPH through there.

The two vehicles behind me (a little ways back and closing in quicker) were both pulled over.

Whew! B)

- Kevin

4. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doesn't the on board computer record that sort of data black box style? Or does it only save in the event of an accident? If so its something I would have definately told the toyota tech guys to record and document that, easily fighting any 85 ticket, and since that's what the charge was you probably could have gotten off completely.

5. Scott_W

Scott_W New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p21usa @ May 28 2006, 05:34 PM) [snapback]262127[/snapback]</div>
    The other policefolk at his station MUST have gotten a pretty good laugh at his expanse when they found out that he gave an "electric car" a ticket for speeding. I can hear them now...It's not to say it can't happen, just that police really do get ribbed by their fellow officers when they do that sort of thing.

6. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I went through radar this morning, on a stretch of road where the speed limit drops from 45 to 35. I was going 39 went the radar hit - no problem - the cops generally give you a little wiggle room, knowing that there will certainly be someone zooming along any minute.

The radar was set up in a great spot for me - I was reaching the end of a "glide" and so my speed was slowly bleeding off. If the radar had been set up near the end of the "pulse" phase, though ...... :eek:

7. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same thing here just last week... going through a 25 zone where people often go 35-40, and I passed the camping radar officer when I was gliding... at a paltry 19 mph. Then I passed 6 cars that had been pulled over ;). Thank you for slowing me down, Prius! :D

8. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I used to think the Prius was a pokey slow little car too, until we got ours. I can't tell you how many times I've looked ahead at the digital readout to see I was going 70-75 MPH, much to my amazement. It may take the girl a few extra seconds to get there, but once she does, she speeds on down the road with the best of them!

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There's an electronic governor that limits the top speed to 104 or so mph. I've never went that fast, but others have.

10. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you sure it will transfer to VA? Some states the points transfer, but some don't. I know that DC doesn't transfer to VA. You just might get lucky with the state...but the insurance...you're probably stuck.

11. Subversive

Subversive New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ May 28 2006, 10:50 PM) [snapback]262214[/snapback]</div>
    In this situation, you should ALWAYS assume it is a speed trap. C'mon, it really doesn't happen that often.

Using your horn in that manner is illegal in at least a number of states. The horn should be used ONLY to warn other drivers of a possible impending accident, not to express your frustration through noise pollution at the reality of occasional traffic.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Boah ... *nobodeh* goes that fayust through Geawgah an' gits away
    with it."
    "Sherman did..."
    _H*

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 29 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]262397[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it's an electronic governor but the mechanical top speed. I remember about a year ago or maybe 1.5 that there was an argument whether the top speed was 106 or 107. Someone actually provided a picture of 106 - I think.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 29 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]262599[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I heard that with that removed the top end was closer to 130. For what it's worth a 2004 Prius holds the Land Speed Record for hybrids at 130.794 mph.

15. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Can we at least understand what a true speed trap is. It is NOT where police like to hang out and write tickets. It is a location where the speed limit either changes abruptly with no warning (or at least where reasonable people would not notice) or where there has been no sign for a long way and reasonable people could assume the speed limit had gone up.

If you KNOW what the speed limit is, there is no TRAP. If you see a sign saying new speed limit ahead...it is NOT a trap.

When you exit a 65 MPH freeway onto a side street...it is NOT a trap.

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's one for you Schmika.
    On my drive to work, I cut though a stretch of unincorporated county. There's a road that is 1.2 miles long. For 1.0 miles of that, the speed limit is 35 MPH. Then, for the last .2 miles, the speed limit increases to 45 MPH. This road ends when it T's into a more heavily traveled county highway with a flashing red overhead light and a stop sign right in front of the lane on the other side of the highway.

Can you, as our "resident PO" think of any reason whatsoever to bump the speed 10MPH right before the stop? (don't read anything more than curiosity into the question)

Sometimes I stealth the entire patch and never exceed 40 MPH. Twice, I've been passed on the double-yellow because I did not get from 35 to 45 fast enough for the speed zealots. Of course, as soon as they got back over, they slammed on their brakes for the stop.

17. p21usa

p21usa New Member

According to Wikpedia:
    The term speed trap refers to a point where speed limits are enforced by police. It is generally understood as meaning a specific location in which police wait in concealment, for example, a police car might wait behind a bridge or overpass, out of sight of approaching motorists, but has also been applied to locations where a speed camera is posted. In California traffic law, the use of speed traps (as specifically defined, see "Speed trap" in California traffic law) is prohibited.

The term speed trap is usually used by motorists, not by enforcement officers. It may be considered pejorative, and use of the term may suggest the appearance of speed enforcement by concealed means or excessively strict speed enforcement.

Speed traps have been used since the beginning of the 20th Century as a means to enforce speed limits, and Britain's Automobile Association was set up specifically to notify members of speed traps.

I know they are not the best source out there but they were actually the kindest ;) .

Anyone out there have any suggestions for a kinder, gentler name?

18. badaka

badaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been driving for 40 years without ever getting a ticket. One of the reasons I got the Prius was to slow me down ... I drove lots of new BMWs for the past 13 years (I work for them and Lambo)... faster and faster, and I'm not the best driver.

So @ two months ago I get pulled over by the staties gliding downhill at 57 mph in a 30 zone.

$270.00 OUCH!

19. wstander

wstander New Member

I got a ticket for 86 in a 65 zone in my 2004 HCH manual...coasting with the clutch depressed...

slow day for the CHP

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p21usa @ May 30 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]262829[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, really?

Well, I guess that doesn't apply to the city police.