1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A strange question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AlbertoC67, Dec 19, 2006.

1. AlbertoC67

AlbertoC67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi to everybody,
    as you already know each equipment using an electric motor has some cables with electric current and every conductor with current has a magnetic field around.
    My question is: May Prius cause problems to the people using pace makers because of the cables inside it?
    Sorry for my english and Merry Christmas

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The magnetic field from the current carrying conductors drops off rapidly with distance. Perhaps if you wrapped one of them around your intended victim you could do something to his pacemaker. ;)

Seriously, though, as with any other field producing equipment, just keep a little distance and you should be fine.

Tom

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlbertoC67 @ Dec 19 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]364089[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Alberto,

Yes, the current flowing in an individual wire creates a concetric magnetic field. Point your right hand thumb in the direction of the current, and the vector of the field will point concentrically the direction your fingers curl around. That is called the "right hand rule" for obvious reasons.

Ever notice that wires to various electrical devices are kept clost together, like with plastic (zip chord) or being twisted?

Imagine two wires, with current travelling in opposite directions. Apply the right hand rule to both wires. Whay do you see? The fingers point in opposite directions! The magnetic field cancels. The only leakage is then due to the weakening of the field of one wire, as its farther from the field generated by the other. So, if you keep the wires close together, nearly perfect cancellisation occurs.

There are electronics reasons to do this. The induced currents in other wires can mess up the operation of those circuits. So, its prudent for an electronics designer to keep the high current wires close togehter, and emitting minimul magnetic fields, especially if the current is changing allot and rapidly, as in a motor drive.

As to the sensitivity of pace makers, I defer to medical professionals.

I would think a bigger concern might be the motor fields. But I would expect the pasenger compartment is somewhat shielded by the steel chasis from the motor fields.

4. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlbertoC67 @ Dec 19 2006, 07:35 AM) [snapback]364089[/snapback]</div>
    2006 manuel refers to disabling the smart key system when pace makers are going to be near or in the car</span></span>.

6. jojorlin

jojorlin New Member

I have a pacmaker and check with its maufacturer. They stated that the Pruis system including the smart key will have no effect on the pacemaker system. I have been driving my pruis for over a year and all test on pacemaker have check out ok no effect.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are my thoughts on this....
    The main concern would be magnetic fields.
    When a magnet is applied to a pace maker it causes it to go into a 'default' mode that is a preset rate.

So, some pacemakers (demand type) will only pace your heart when it senses a missed or delayed beat. Some pace makers constantly pace the heart and pay no mind to any intrinsic beats.

If one has a demand pacemaker and enters a strong magnetic field the pace maker will go into it's default mode and become a constant pace maker causing the heart to beat at 70 beats/min (or whatever rate was set by the cardiologist) no matter what your heart is doing intrinsicly.

To me, that would be the worst case scenario We do this in the ER often...if there's something weird with the pacemaker or the patient's heart rhythm we put a big magnet on the pacer, it drops into default mode and helps clarify what underlying rhythm problem there might be.

I suppose it's possible that there could be some exact frequency and energy going through the car that could cause the pacer to do something it's not supposed to, but that seems highly unlikely from what I know of how they work and are programmed.