A/T tires on a Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Laura-Ann, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Laura-Ann

Laura-Ann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am trying to find an off-pavement capable tire for my 2019 Prius Prime, for a trip to Death Valley in December. It's not that I want to do rock-crawling, I just want tires that are more puncture, cut, and abrasion resistant than the banana skin Toyo's the car came with, for driving on the gravel roads in the Park. Especially Racetrack Road, which is notorious for shredding street tires. The smallest A/T tire made appears to be the Yokohama Geolander, in 205/70-R15. This tire is 1.3" larger diameter and 0.6" larger in section width than the 195/65-R15's the car comes with. This is not enormously larger than the stock tire. Has anyone tried to mount these on their Prime?

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    A-T type tires won't give you any more sturdiness than any other good tire. I'd suggest Michelin Defenders, there are several variations.
    All you really need to do is take a spare along on the trip.

Laura-Ann likes this.
  3. Laura-Ann

Laura-Ann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks! I do in fact have a spare now, purchased at America's Tire last week (with a plain steel wheel rim). I've never liked this trend that the manufacturers are on, completely eliminating spare tires. I've had 3 flats in the last 2 years on my PP, and had to call a tow truck once.