1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a Top 10 list?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by DaveinOlyWA, Sep 27, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i recently became aware of a very cool thread that was OP'd over 2 weeks ago. i, quite frankly was lucky to have seen it which brings a few thoughts to mind

1) i spend a lot of time here
    2) the number of new posts here have escalated to the point that i am missing several of them
    3) i (sorry all) dont have an interest in seeing all of them

Danny, what the possibility of creating a like weekly top 10 list? based on popularity, # of responses or thanks ? or least some sort of metric that can be tracked automatically?

this would allow me to browse the home page for a quick glance at what is popular or maybe sticky them on the new threads page?

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've actually been thinking about the same thing. My intention was to do a weekly "Top 10" list to post to the front page.

I'll start looking for a vbulletin coder who might be able to do it. Doesn't seem very hard, but it's not built into the standard functionality of the software.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think it would be great. i spend a lot of time here, but at the same time due to family, etc, i have a block of time that prevents me from being here other than maybe a few minutes.

i end up missing a lot of stuff, so a metric that bases it on viewer responses, ratings, # of thanks or something might work well

4. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like this idea, Dave. I would love to find out which threads or posts are most likely to provide some value to me -- or at least be interesting reads.

In terms of a thread's value (or a post's, for that matter), there are some which may have great value to a few and others providing great value to the community. Though the latter may encompass the former, the reverse is not necessarily true. I think there may be reason to post separate Top 10 (or Top 25) lists for 1) Number of views; 2) Number of Responses; and 3) Number of Thanks. The first two may be limited to threads, while the third probably would be limited to posts.

Every once-in-a-while a particular post really hits the mark. The "Thanks" response is usually pretty strong in that instance. I think we've had a couple just in the past week that have had 8 or 10 "Thanks" within hours. These are posts that I'd like to see, but I probably simply stumble upon them. Having a way to go right to the post (or at least see the thread it is in) would be a bit help in terms of navigation.

I don't know what to suggest about the ratings for threads. I don't see that many threads being rated. When I do see a rating, it almost always is given 5 stars. Perhaps it would be better not to show ratings until a certain number of people have rated the thread (discounting the OP)?

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    at this point, i am open to any suggestion that will help sort out the volume of posts here. when i started here, i can confidently say i read EVERY SINGLE post made here.

now, if i did this as a full time job, i dont think i could read them all. there was the post of the picture of the underside of the 2010 Pri. only found out about it because i asked the poster what his avatar was. it had like 50 thanks, and i missed it completely. makes me wonder what else i missed.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I didn't know about that post. This is one I'd like to have seen, and if it received 50 "Thanks" from PCers, then it really is a "must" see post. Maybe there should be most thanked today or this week, as well as lifetime.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

i believe it does set the record for "most thanks in single post" . i venture to say that it probably out did the previous champion post by probably 100%+

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/68549-photos-taken-bottom-my-prius.html

actually it was 67 thanks. check out the hi-res pics. (post # 24...heck, it got 8 thanks!) definitely should be in FAQ or whatever we have for collecting tech data.

**edit** LOL!!! just checked out thanks list. Danny not there either...does that mean you didnt see it either?? Danny?

8. jesse

jesse priusinging

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    160,000 miles on my prius 2008. is working great but...I dont see warranties over 100,000 miles.please let me know.