1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Valentine for Danny (D: open 2/14/06)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack 06, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    On a thread yesterday two posters were saying how PC had helped them, and for one, it was clearly THOUSANDS of dollars. That forced my hand a little, as I was going to put this up anyway.

I've wondered what kinds of more "tangible" (trying to avoid saying "actual") help PCers have gotten. Sometimes it's harder to be specific with money saved, though some can come close.

Find a car more easily? Avoid expense by getting a problem solved? Make a good decision that saved trouble?

It's 28 days until Valentine's day (the date's in the title as a reminder for those last-minute folks). But with so many occasional posters, I wouldn't want to put this up in the last few days beforehand, anyway.

Yeah, Danny has received thanks recently on the occasions of the 10,000th member and an aniversary, but most are general well-wishes. Maybe we can be a little more specific here. I'm sure Danny will enjoy seeing what kinds of help his brainchild has spawned all in one place.

Danny, you can't read this until 2/14. :huh:

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    priuschat has been so helpful to us in the last year or so.

we've made friends, clashed on opinions with some people, learned some new things, and much more.

because of priuschat, my husband has had a chance to discuss some of the more (and less) common prius service issues that come up with some real technical gurus and the owners of the cars, and it's made him a better tech.

i've picked up ideas for some great mods and found some easy quick tips for installing them. we're also planning on picking up the extended warranty at the priuschat group price, which will save us a good chunk of money.

i only wished i was a more active poster before we went and bought the car- we probably could have saved even more money from reading all the great advice on priuschat.

thanks for everything, Danny! you're more appreciated than you know :)

3. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One tangible benefit that I've gotten from PriusChat was the ability to identify good dealers and avoid bad ones, saving me a lot of potential irritation and wasted time. PriusChat also saved me from paying $1450 for the extended warranty at the dealership.

PriusChat would have been instrumental in helping me stand firm about not accepting add-ons like undercoating and paint protection (generally my weakest area in car buying), except that the dealer I went to didn't even try to offer me that stuff. So technically this doesn't belong on the list, but I think PC deserves at least partial credit for it.

Thanks, Danny!

4. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Priuschat is the sum of all Prius knowledge. :)

No kidding, this site is the best Prius site on-line, and gives people the best overall Prius education!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, this site has helped me understand the car better. Never have I known so much about a car in detail and never have I even coughed up the courage to take a new car apart. All this P&G and feathering and not using the battery for best mileage would never have occurred to me without others here on this site sharing their experiences and knowledge.

Thanks to all!

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

No dollar benefits......I wish I had known about the savings on the service contract, but I didn't do too bad.

Nope, for me, it is friends and knowlege about the car. I suspect I learned a few tricks that helped my mpg a bit.

Something to think about people....how much money do you "spend" on entertainment. Well, how about spending some money on THIS entertainment. I have donated to PC, have you????????

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Dude, you DO KNOW, you're sending a Valentine's Day card to a GUY right?

:lol:

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i honestly think CANVIEW would have been a longer way off and i probably never would have heard of it anyway...

the AIC ipod interface i was part of the first group buy... that saved me what?? dont remember now... but im sure, that VAIS was more than slightly surprised at the number and the speed of the orders as they came in.

for a guy who is a techie nerd kinda of guy, the exchange of information has been awesome, there is no way that i could have learned the same amount on my own... too much work to track down all the related articles posted here.

this place has been awesome for sure

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Gasp! Blush!! What next, two chicks kissing? Oy-Vey!!!

10. Kestrel

Kestrel Bird geek

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All the tips on how to improve mileage will be my top long term benefit, I'm sure.

Several immediate ones that come to mind:
    * The regular updates on California's HOV sticker issuance have allowed me hours and hours more sleep than I would be getting if I'd just been fretting about if/when I'd get mine. Can't wait to be able to post my timeline (and oh yeah, drive in them, too).
    * I disabled the reverse beep on day 3, preventing further irriation and cranky driving.
    * My brother's girlfriend's parents disabled their reverse beep the next day, so I'm spreading the love.
    * I got some inspirations for evenual vanity plates (no decision yet)

My donation will truly be in the mail tomorrow!

11. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

For starters, I've saved around $1000 total in buying two extended warranties.

Vanity plate suggestions got my mind whirring, and led to a decision.

Getting my splash guards through a link provided here.

Posts here led to my further investigation of Nokian tires, and I bought a set.

And I've laughed harder at certain antics that have occurred here than almost any time in the last 25 years. :lol:

NOW IF I COULD JUST GET A GOD-DAMNED T-SHIRT, I'D BE HAPPY AS A PIG IN SLOP.

Oops. Just slipped out. B)

12. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Information I learned on this site (or because of it):
    * Saved me $660 on the extended warrantee
    * Gave me information to challenge dealer(s) lies and/or inaccuracies
    * Enabled me to achieve relatively good mileage within a week
    * Gave me lots of unexpected things to think about
    Thanks, all! B)

13. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is the best site for Prius owners, geeks, nerds, dudes/dudettes and just "normal" folk.

I have learned how to best drive my car with pulse and glide, tire pressure and such lines. I am left a bit far behind on the high tech stuff but it is cool to find out what people and this car are capable of.

It has also shown me that I am not an idiot for not knowing that I could talk to the car for two months or that it would take a few tries to learn to keep my thumb off the square button on the door handle while trying to unlock the door.

Thank you to all the posters for sharing their experiences, the good, the bad and the hilarious!!

:D

14. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Dudettes for Danny! :p

15. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Since I started this, I'll boot it up one more time, then let it go.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Danny. You've started something for everyone that's fun and factual at the same time. That's a hard thing to do, and a good thing. We luv ya, man. :D
    Happy Valentine's day!

17. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks so much for the great thread, everyone. I'm glad that PC has helped everyone in one way or another. I'm still amazed at what PC has become over the last 2 years, especially since I thought I had high expectations when I first started the site!

I'm all about deals and saving money, so I'm glad to be able to offer things like the Extended Warranty deal and the accessories I'm able to offer in the PC Shop.

Unfortunately there's only one of me to do a lot of work for this site, so I know that sometimes things come slowly, but hopefully in the future I'll be able to focus more on the site and make it even better!

Happy Valentine's Day!