1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A very ideal idea for best top balance Enginer battery pack every day!

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by hkgngplugin, Jan 20, 2014.

1. hkgngplugin

hkgngplugin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I came up with an idea that, would it be cool if I can get 16 3.65v charger and connect them on every cell of the Enginer Pack. In this case, all the cells would be perfectly top balance every morning I start my car. Is there anyone has this kind of experience? I already have source to get 3.65v 40A chargers (which charge the cells at 0.5C, perfect!). At this rate I could get my pack fully charged in around 2 hours of time. This is a much faster charging then the Enginer charger. Also, I can charge the pack without the participation of the fault designed BMS.

2. nikmaster

nikmaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    First - is not a good idea to charge to the top and discharge to the end the battery every time. You will have few times shorter life on them. Using 80% of the capacity could extend the life 3 times. Is not important to have perfect balancing every time.
    But yes - is good idea for fast charger, very complicated to make it, but if you want to spend time - do it. For 40A you will need thicker cables - 17 pieces, good connectors for 17 cables - calculate the minimum cable gauges to avoid heating.
    Basically you can remove the BMS in this case - still need to have some control over discharging.
    I know some people does not install BMS at all, charging battery to a little under the maximum - for safety - with regular charger, and balancing manually once a month. That is good for 5-6 cells, for 16 will be harder.

chenyj likes this.
  3. hkgngplugin

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3.65x40x16=2336W, 2336W/220V=10.6A. Enough buffer for a 13A cable!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best, be safe!(y)

5. nikmaster

nikmaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You will need 17 - 40A cables for the batteries, 220V there is ok any cable

6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think it would be "cool" at all.

Every day you would have to connect 32 leads to the battery pack instead of just one.

Then, just ONE slip up and you could kill the battery AND maybe even yourself.

Nope, not "cool" at all.......in my opinion.

7. nikmaster

nikmaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If all chargers are small enough, and permanently connected, then only need one cable to be connected - the 220V. Just comment the idea. I will not do it for me.

hkgngplugin likes this.
  8. hkgngplugin

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm pretty sure that I'm a geek, not a fool. I would not plug and unplug 35 leads (you missed the three leads from the wall) every day. Even though I slipped, I'm only dealing with at most 58.4V DC. Wouldn't be enough for a killing.