1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A wild ride in a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bozebuurman, Jan 10, 2006.

1. bozebuurman

bozebuurman New Member

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only time I've heard of this problem was when someone's accelerator pedal caught on the floormat in the car and jammed in the down position.

Regardless, you just need to hold the power button down for a few seconds to shut the car down (just pressing it won't do). Pressing the "P"ark button has also been reported to put the car in neutral if you're driving at normal speeds.

Dave

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't rule anything out because I've seen some really funky computer glitches. But I would love to see more information about this incident.

5. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Ummmmmm... yeah... pressing the PARK button while driving along at regular speed puts the car in neutral and lights the big red exclaimation mark.

Not that I know that from personal experience... nope... wasn't me... didn't happen...

6. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This incident may or may not have happened, and I would be interested to know more about it. But I've read more accurate reporting than this in the rags I see in the grocery store checkout line. For example, they accuse Toyota of selling Prius with faulty software and that this is an indication of how dangerous high tech cars are. But there is nothing to show that this is a software problem at all.

It's ironic (and I could even say hypocritical) that this supposed whistle-blowing site engages in such shoddy business practices. I used their their online form to report them to themselves. Seems like the only way to give feedback.

7. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Wow, i thought it was bad when he did the tow-truck one. This is disgusting! Why do people pay other people to print lies? The least they could do it say how Toyota is allowing virtually ALL of their cars to be computerized and named Christine. This makes it sound like the guy honestly thinks he's doing 'investagative reporting.'

8. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As best I can tell that site is just a front for a Class Action law firm. Their funding appears to come from some lawyers and it looks to primarily be a shill trying to drum up lawsuits.

Consumer Affairs.Comâ„¢ is a service of The Oakton Press, Inc., in association with Joan E. Lisante LLC, licensed to practice in Virginia and the District of Columbia and the Law Offices of Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates, Ltd., licensed to practice in Illinois.

They also run the Chicago Law Center

The Chicago Law Center is your guide to legal resources in the Chicago area. If you have been injured, suffered a work-related injury or if you have a problem with a consumer product or service, the Chicago Law Center can help you find the help you need

And their Consumer News is provided by consumeraffairs.com

In addition Horwitz Law says:

Our office handles litigation aspects of consumer fraud from the preliminary investigative stages, through discovery and litigation. We work closely with ConsumerAffairs.Com, a leading consumer advocacy Web site, where you can find information about specific practices and companies to watch out for. We can defend or prosecute an action based on the Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Practices Act, the Magnuson Moss Act, breach of warranty, breach of contract, and the transaction statutes that relate thereto.

Oh yeah - HorwitzLaw.Com is a service of The Oakton Press Inc.

Edit: Another one - FairfaxLaw.com

FairfaxLaw.Com is an independent information and resource service operated by The Oakton Press, Inc. for the convenience of lawyers and their clients in Fairfax/Arlington, Virginia and the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.

Advertising Information Click here to list your practice with FairfaxLaw.Com

And that's just a quick search.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found it fun to google

("2nd floor" OR "second floor") "1601 cloverfield" "South Tower" "santa monica"

and to speculate on whether and how the companies in the results might be related.

10. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The name of the owner is Herbert! Maybe they are drumming up interest in a screenplay, a remake of one of the Herbie movies using a Prius instead of a VW.

11. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  12. Clar

Clar Member

Only 20 mph over speed limit? That's my normal speed. That ain't a wild ride to me.

Anyway. If this really happened, local TV stations will definitely try to interview that guy. Anyone seen any interview footage?

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I have become less prone, over time, to make "knee-jerk" conclusions like "liar", etc. These are computer controled cars and my computers have done some bizarre things. I also am not educated enough about fail sages. So, I use some other experiences and training to make general observations.

If Toyota has made 'fail safes" and tested them rigorously...then I will say my skepticism reigns high. I also know, when people get surprised, frightened, stressed, they lose logical thought.

Example, get into your car, start it up, and push on the gas to back up. NOW, if you, for some reason, had it in drive and you are suddenly jumping a curb heading for a pedestrian...there is a HIGH likelihood you will jam on the gas even harder and SWEAR you were hitting the brakes and they failed.

I have also investigated a crash where the driver swore his brakes failed yet i observed over 100 ft of skid marks. This driver just could not believe he couldn't stop before hitting the child (THAT is traumatic)

We can calmly state that pushing the power button or park would have solved the problem...but when sh*t is happening, you do not think clearly. You will then revert to what has worked in the past or just "panic".

Either way, when things are done and you try to calmly reconstruct the events...it is very hard to do.

I speak from training and experience in this. Our PD videotapes officers using simunlated ammunition in gun fights. It is amazing what is done vs what is remembered when you are being shot at.

I believe the premise of the story that the car suddenly accelerated (this happens to "notmal" cars...what I am skeptical about is ALL the factors that contributed or were tried.

Lastly, what does the owner/article write WANT toota to do...they couldn't find a problem. Ahhhh, maybe he wants a FREE new car or a refund.

14. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Good sleuthing, Tempus. That's the same suspicion I had reading that juvenile POS.