1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AAA offers free hybrid driver training classes & 5% discount for hybrids

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PeteSJCA, Sep 17, 2007.

1. PeteSJCA

PeteSJCA 2013 Prius Plug-In Base in Winter Gray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CSAA (AAA) is offering a two hour free hybrid driver training class in northern CA, NV, UT.... You don't have to be a member to attend. I attended one last saturday in Sunnyvale, it was very informative. See their website at http://www.csaa.com/portal/site/CSAA, the second link under "what's new." They are also offering a 5% discount on their car insurance to hybrid drives!

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sounds like AAA is trying to put some lipstick on their gas hog image.
    In case anyone's interested in a real earth-friendly auto club:

Better World Club

3. Spoid

Spoid New Member

What did they talk about? Obvious stuff like anticipating red lights or more advanced information?

4. PeteSJCA

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spoid @ Sep 17 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]513898[/snapback]</div>
    It was a bit more advance then that... it was an hour powerpoint that covered the history, technology and maximizing mileage, along with lots of questions and answers, then outside for a ride in a prius to demonstrate "gliding" and a talk about hybrid maintenance. AAA did a great job!

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PeteSJCA @ Sep 17 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]513817[/snapback]</div>
    Where is the info about the 5% hybrid discount on insurance? We've had CSAA insurance for about a gazillion years and we've not seen this. They give us the multi-car/homeowners/good drivers/etc. policies discounts, but they've volunteered nothing for the Pri.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Sep 23 2007, 04:50 AM) [snapback]516490[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. I looked around too and didn't find any info on any 5% off.

7. PeteSJCA

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey, I'm kinda confused, i got the flyer attached below at the hybrid driver training, and when i called CSAA i was told i didn't qualify.... I had the "wrong" type of insurance, or too many discounts. This doesn't seem right.

[attachmentid=11673]

Attached Files:

• aaa.jpg
      aaa.jpg
      File size:
      187.9 KB
      Views:
  8. tds

tds New Member

We are using Travelers for both our Prius and Highlander Hybrid. Travelers offers 10% discount for hybrid vehicles in many states, including CA. I got a much lower quote from them than AAA.

http://hybridtravelers.com/

9. PeteSJCA

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Howdy Dawning Sky, Thanks! My insurance is up for renewal, I will check out their website and give Travelers a call and get a quote.

10. tds

tds New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PeteSJCA @ Sep 26 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]518053[/snapback]</div>
    I believe you can get a quote online too. AAA insurance is kind of annoying to me. They ask for the odometer reading every a few months.

11. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My ins term ends this Nov.

I called AAA asking about this 5% off promotion for Hybrids. The CSR lady said it is still being implemented... I dont know what that means, isn't it easy just to take off 5%. So she told me to wait until it is completed, I ask "when", the answer is "I don't know"

12. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't you just love AAA? We had them for car insurance before and they needed pics of a brand new car? and the guy never showed up to take them. no one knew anything so we dropped them and added it to state farm

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 23 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]516558[/snapback]</div>
    The California State Automobile Club is the AAA affiliate in Northern California and Nevada. In Southern California, the Automobile Club of Southern California is the AAA affiliate.

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PeteSJCA @ Sep 26 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]517967[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm...I'll have to check again. DH assures me he has explicitly asked and been assured we have the Hybrid discount, but the wiggle-room in the above ("Save up to 5%...depending on your coverage...") does have me wondering.

On the other hand, DH has been a member since 1980, we also have our homeowner's policy with them, and we've had INCREDIBLY responsive service with all car claims. We've made no home claims--and the listing stuff with them has been a tad less helpful (e.g., we wanted to schedule an expensive piece of jewelry given to us by DH's parents, with an appraisal they--the parents, with the same surname--had had done within a couple of months--and they would not accept it until we had another appraisal done...It's not like I have many occasions on which to wear said jewelry, but STILL...!).

For the auto stuff, they HAVE been the least expensive we have found. Yes, multiple cars and multiple policies helps a lot. BUT--compared to my/our past experiences with claims, AAA has DEFINITELY come out on top.

At the moment, I'm in the middle of a claim for damage caused by a valet parking service in LoCal (at the Beverly Center Nordstrom's lot, no less--that's the last time I take my mother shopping!). The valet company's insurance people were, to say the least, dragging their heels. I had a PO box number (no phone or fax) for the insurance company (Maarco & Associates in Woodland Hills, CA--according to their letterhead, "Full Service Claims Management Specializing in Claims Consultation, Adjustment & Review"), to which I was instructed--in teeny tiny print on the form given me by the valets, that, to pursue my claim, I had to write to Maarco with full details of the incident to have them consider my claim. The letter I got back instructed me to forward to their office two estimates "for the repair of the damage in order that we may evaluate your claim." Interesting thing about that I discovered, as I started my rounds. Apparently, California law says "A consumer is entitled to: 1. Select the auto body repair shop to repair auto body damage covered by the insurance company. An insurance company shall not require the repairs to be done at a specific auto body repair shop...Any concerns regarding how an auto insurance claim is being handled should be submitted to the California Department of Insurance at...www.insurance.ca.gov.

I had some lovely chats with my AAA adjuster, whose opinion of the Maarco letter asking for two estimates in order that they might "evaluate [my] claim" was, more or less, "they can evaluate my nice person."

I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall when my AAA adjuster and Maarco's "Claims Examiner" talk.

Yes, once I get over having to peel off my HOV stickers and get 'em replaced (front bumper gone = one sticker gone = need replacement of all four...I'm hoping the body shop'll throw in getting off the residue from the old ones...), I will likely write to the CA Dept. of Insurance to complain about just how difficult Maarco makes the process. (I googled them, found a phone number and left a message...no one ever called me. I got their letter with a phone number and left a message. No one ever called me. I called and got a body to ask for a fax number. It was grudgingly given to me, but I was told faxes didn't count--I would have to mail my estimates to them at their PO number, which also meant I could do nothing but use USPS, which I have learned not to trust with anything important...and they wouldn't give me a street address. And, last I heard, they'd also not returned the calls of my AAA claims person.)

I do not know. I like AAA. They scare people. And they've been good to us, about cars, anyway...