1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABC's The Lookout: Women being ripped off by mechanics

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jun 20, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a shame, especially when the "mechanics" are caught on camera. Unfortunately, women need to be more aware, and some men too if they are perceived as being naïve. Growing up, my mom would make friends with a local gas station owner/mechanic and would only take her car to him - she never got ripped off. Especially important as my dad was in the military and would be gone for months at a time. Of course cars were much simpler back in the 60's/70's too, but they required more frequent maintenance. She still take her car in every 3,000 miles for oil changes, but these days that's every 6 months or so.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know when my two daughters were living on there on and away from home, they both called me multiple times asking me questions about what repair shops were recommending and the prices they were estimating. Every time I would get the mechanic or shop manager on the phone and once they realized that a knowledgeable person was involved the recommendations and pricing would be greatly reduced.

It is a shame. My wife is really reluctant to take a car to the shop without me calling first and doing all of the up front negotiations.

I really feel sorry for women in particular and non-mechanically knowledgeable people in general.

WE0H likes this.