1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABG: Poll: 74 % of U.S. voters support 60 mpg fleetwide average by 2025

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Sep 21, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here we go again...
    Poll: 74 % of U.S. voters support 60 mpg fleetwide average by 2025 — Autoblog Green

This is real similar to http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...fuel-economy-standards-50-mpg-poll-finds.html.

What is it with the American people and these polls? That's great they support CAFE numbers be required to be so high by 2025 but the 2010 Prius already gets "70.894 mpg" for CAFE purposes. The 2nd gen gets "65.778 mpg" for CAFE purposes. They don't need to wait for the government or the standards to go up when vehicles already exist that surpass that average.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perfect time to raise the gas tax.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure where you get the CAFE adjustments, when I read 60 mpg I was thinking EPA numbers on the sales sticker. And the only way people would agree to such a dramatic improvement would be the idea that 2025 sounds like it's a long way off, and the future should have dramatically better vehicles, maybe with Mr. Fusion as an upgrade option.

If you say 60 mpg in less than 15 years, with the understanding that a car design cycle is about half that time, then it becomes a different situation.

As you say, the Prius and a select group of other cars are close to that now, but it's certainly not a fleet average. Not when you count minivans, sports cars, and a necessary number of pickup trucks/SUVs for people who actually need them (which is about a 10th of the number currently out there).

4. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The question asked is basically "do you want other people to drive high MPG cars?"

That's the reason for the disconnect, imo.

5. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found this line interesting:
    If that's the case, then why the heck does Ford mark up their hybrids more than any other manufacturer, compared to similar models?
    You can get a Ford Fusion base model for $19.4K, the hybrid is $28.8K, the Ford Escape is very similar. I know I'm not comparing apples to apples, because they add features in as standard on the hybrids, so I shouldn't use the base model, but that's my point really, offer a base version of the hybrid to see what people really want.

(For Toyota, the Camry isn't much better, but the spread is a few thousand less, and if you don't like it, you can still get the Prius at $3K over the base price of a Camry, which a lot of people do do, but can't do that at Ford, the Fusion is their cheapest hybrid. Honda Civic jumps from $15.8K from the base ($16.6K with automatic) to $23.9K for the hybrid, also quite substantial, but again they have the Insight at $19.8K).

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yep ... YOU drive it ... that way WE can keep our land barge. Actually, the 60mpg equivalent is already in production vis a vis the Tesla, and the Leaf is righ behind it. When you do the math / conversion of an EV's 'fuel' consumption easily works out to over 60mpg. Oh, I forgot ... no one want 'em.

7. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. They probably weren't given an option either on how much to raise it. Just yes or no, should it be raised (to 60 mpg).

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The Cafe ratings have a far different and higher number than the epa. It would be nice if these things were better linked to reality. If a car is flex fuel it gets the score from the cleanest fuel usually E85. 60 mpg is a crazy number if it was epa and closed loopholes.

5 years is a typical design cycle now. 15 years means 3 cycles. Car makers are already planning for the 2016 standards so it would be better to think in terms of 2 cycles to raise it up from 2016.

The 60mpg would include sports cars but not trucks/SUVs that would have a different number probably based on footprint. The 8500lb loophole should be fully closed by 2025

Part of the hybrid premium is being forced to have a certain equipment level. Ford actually has a lower hybrid premium than most cars other than the prius/insight if you use terms like premium percentage based on efficiency improvements.

These are different animals. Ford will have a hybrid/phev/bev focus to compete in the hatchback mode with the likes of the prius and insight. These things take time.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One can get the unadjusted EPA dyno numbers that are used to calculate CAFE (except that it doesn't include the E85 scam/incentive) at Download the Fuel Economy Database. If you look at the UNRND COMP column, you'll see the combined mileage. The 2nd gen Prius scores "65.7778 mpg" and the 3rd gen scores "70.894 mpg".

I've posted about the adjustment to what's on the pre-08 model year stickers at 46.8 MPG city?? - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars.

"Fuel Economy: Doublespeak at its Best" Green Car Advisor is one of many articles talking about the doublespeak that is CAFE vs. window sticker. "35 mpg" for CAFE purposes == ~26 mpg combined on the current sticker.

The Prius is obviously past "60 CAFE mpg". But yes, if you add in a lot of other vehicles, no manufacturer's fleet averages are anywhere near that.
    They are "linked" to reality, just by a percentage. :) Yeah, the E85 scam sucks but at least it's going away.

A great example is per CAFE calculations
    That Tahoe got 14 mpg combined on CR's tests on gasoline and 10 mpg combined on E85. That's a "35 mpg" vehicle right there. :rolleyes::mad:

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's to be taken as seriously as a New Year's Resolution question.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius