1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Abizaid says we could live with a "nucular" Iran

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Sep 18, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070918/ap_on_go_ot/abizaid_iran
    Remember we're the only nation to have vaporized innocent civilians with a nuclear device, twice.

2. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 18 2007, 12:55 AM) [snapback]514172[/snapback]</div>
    Step 1. Call Iran, Iraq, and North Korea the "Axis of Evil".
    Step 2. Invade Iraq.
    Step 3. Watch North Korea develop and "test" a nuclear device.
    Step 4. Wonder why Iran might want a nuclear device...

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Sep 18 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]514175[/snapback]</div>
    thankyou, well said. Nothing to add.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    a couple of points:
    1. Yes, our military strength does make a nuclear attack on the US a suicide mission, and despite what we may think of them, the leaders of Iran are leaders because they want power, not because they're suicidal. Launching a nuclear strike against the US would be suicide, or if nothing else would remove all their power, which they won't want to do.

2. Yes, a preemptive strike is not the best idea for dealing with the situation. As we've seen with Iraq, wars in that region should be avoided. If you want more on that one, check some of the hundreds of posts about Iraq on the board...

3. What the retired General didn't say was that the threat of Iran going nuclear isn't to the US, but the results could very well effect us. Iran might be willing to use a nuclear bomb against their "enemies" in the area, which could have dramatic effects on the world wide economy. Imagine that they use one, and irradiate half the oil fields in the middle east as a result... that wouldn't be an attack on the US, but it would still devastate our economy and country.

So with all that said, diplomatic and economic methods should be used to attempt Iran from going nuclear. Should they develop nuclear arms, it would be in the world's best interest for the existing nuclear powers (us, Russia, France, UK, China, etc) to say in a joint press conference (thus showing everyone that this is a question of world-wide security, not just the desire of one country to flex it's muscle...) that any detonation of a nuclear device that originated in Iran would be treated as an act of war against all nations, and an equal response would be visited upon Iran.

Such a conviction would show the leaders of Iran that using a nuclear device anywhere would be a suicide mission. And as stated in my first point, those leaders are in place because they crave power, and like all politicians, they won't do anything to destroy that power. If they develop a nuclear weapon and we attack because of it, we may push them back into a corner forcing them to use it.

As it's been said, MAD is a stable situation, even though it's a crazy, F'd up one. It becomes both more and less stable when you remove the "M". more, because the weaker power won't act, and less because the stronger power might. In this case, i don't think we have to worry about the second case.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 18 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]514248[/snapback]</div>
    Question for all you "let Iran go nuclear" believers:

What happens when Iran develops and produces nuclear weapons and delivery systems (beyond humans, ships and commercial airplanes) that have extended ranges including cruise missiles (land, air, and sea based) and ICBM's?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dr. Berman, I believe you are missing the point.
    The thread title says, "we could live with a nuclear Iran."

What it doesn't say is for how long.

There, does that help? ;)

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 18 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]514340[/snapback]</div>
    Yes and really no. Because once they are a nuclear power, what can you do about that. So, the title is what i believe is the mistake. We cannot live with a nuclear iran as much as we could have lived with a nuclear nazi germany or imperial japan or al-qaeda.

so lets all play along to see the fallacy of letting iran go nuclear... what do you guys think would happen with a nuclear iran???

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Berman, do you really believe that Iran will ever launch a nuclear attack on the US? The entire country would be a pile of radioactive slag before their first bomb hit US soil. As i stated, the leaders are there for one reason: Power. they aren't going to give up that power on some whim.

Do you think Iran could even come close to developing enough of a nuclear arsenal to be a real threat? remember the cold war back in the day? There were far more nuclear missiles pointed at us than Iran could even fit in their borders, yet we still had a somewhat stable peace. You think that if Iran obtained nuclear weapons the same principles that dictated that peace wouldn't apply? If not, please explain why.

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 18 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]514389[/snapback]</div>
    As a true neocon,Dr Berman is worried about the security of Israel .

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 18 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]514389[/snapback]</div>
    Yes I do believe in my heart iran would let loose the nuclear dogs either directly or more probably indirectly through a allied terror group like hezbollah.

you make a tragic mistake by operating by the old soviet-american MAD equation --- remember with both of these cultures they treasured life over death. with iran, you are dealing with a culture/religion that prizes and rewards death.

again, answer the question.... iran becomes a nuclear power, what do you think are the immediate and near immediate sequelae?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Sep 18 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]514396[/snapback]</div>
    I could respond... As a true anti-Semite Mojo could care less if Israel is attacked with nuclear weapons...

but I wouldnt.

I am not worried about Israel. as you might be aware they attacked a nuclear depot deep inside syria about two weeks ago that probably contained materials from NoKo, Iran and possible Iraq.

Israel has hundreds of nuclear weapons loaded upon multiple delivery systems - they will use them if necessary. they will also prevent iran from going nuclear in my opinion.

back to reality

what do you think would be the consequences of a nuclear armed iran....

11. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 18 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]514401[/snapback]</div>
    Y'know, you're awfully quick to play the anti-Semite card. Considering Mojo has said nothing anti-Semitic, your claim borders on being a personal attack.

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 18 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]514401[/snapback]</div>
    Are there any consequences in nuking Iran preemptively?

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 18 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]514409[/snapback]</div>
    i dont want to get off topic when this is such an easy one to show you guys the errors of your thoughts.

per chance.... how did or why did he bring up Israel and NeoCon when neither were mentioned prior to his post?? once you riddle me that one, you can answer the question:

what would be the consequences of a nuclear armed iran?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 18 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]514410[/snapback]</div>
    i love the answer a question with a question gig -- try answering my question and then we can answer yours...

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You know, all this politico-talk has started spawning an increasing quantity of personal attacks and offensive behaviour. I'm less interested in figuring out who started boiling this frog than I am in trying to make it stop.

Multiple suspensions and warnings have already been handed out by me and other Moderators.

We've had the discussion many times that "Fred's" is a place for non-Prius open discussion. But we also remind people from time to time that when things start getting heated we will clamp down. Though the introduction says that the first amendment is your friend, when you are posting on a privately owned and operated forum, we still get to make - and interpret - the rules on a case-by-case basis.

Carry on...

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 18 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]514449[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed.

so here goes, again,... please tell me, all of you who support a nuclear armed iran, what you believe the consequences would be upon their acquiring home grown nuclear weapons....

16. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consequences of Iran going Nuclear?
    Dr B. is right in that it's Bad. Very bad.
    So what? Does anyone have a grand idea to stop it?
    There isn't anything we can really do about it other than sabre rattling. Which is exactly what's going on. Dr. B can wish for his Iran conflict all he wants, but it aint gonna happen. Iran holds all the cards. Until we kick our oil habit, we can't do anything about it.

The Abizaid quote should have read "we'll have to live with" not "we could live with". Best we can hope for is an Iranian Chernoble to turn their populace against nulear energy.

Option A: Tip the ME into a regional war, causing oil supply to go into crises mode, causing the western world to shut down economically, until they can slowly rebuild using new energy.

Option B: Develop alternative energy at home so we can wean off oil, and remove the leverage oil gives to ALL of the ME countries. Then we can deal with these kind of issues diplomatically, since they won't hold the cards (oil).

17. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 18 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]514460[/snapback]</div>
    Better yet, make oil irrelevant and get out of the politics of the region. It's foolish to think that we can just shape the world as we see fit through political/military will.

Dr. B, I don't think anyone here supports a nuclear Iran. No one has said that. However, what we want and what we get are usually two different things. We're going to have to deal with it, like it or not. I don't see there being much we can do about it. What precisely are you proposing we do about it?

18. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Abizaid is one of the idiots who have badly mismanaged the war in Iraq.

The danger isn't Iran attacking anyone. The danger is Iran handing off a nuclear device to one of its terrorist proxies, who then puts it in a big cargo container and ships it to New York or LA, where it is touched off.

Harry

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's why we have radiation sniffers.
    BTW, it is impossible to have timers for those bombs in such a scenario. They (the terrorists) would have to have someone visually watching the ship at all times to confirm it's arrival and detonate at the right time remotely. Port security is a must because of this.

So let's sell our port management to some middles eastern businessmen!!! Remember that attempt? Brilliant....

20. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Sep 18 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]514476[/snapback]</div>
    True, but then they run the risk of

1.) us blaming them and annihilating them.
    2.) the terror group deciding to use the device in some other, "unapproved" way.

Either way, they are risking a lot and have no control over the situation. That's what it's all about, too. Control. Iran wants regional hegemony. They can't achieve that through the reckless use of nuclear weapons. In fact, such activities carry with them the strong likelihood that Iran will cease to exist. Iran doesn't want that. Nobody in Iran wants that. Suicide is only useful to them if it furthers their cause.

Burritos, read Flyboys and then tell me if you think that Japan was better off without us using bombs. It was the right move, given the choices before us (none of which were pretty).