1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About tables ... could we have a little help?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by bwilson4web, Dec 7, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

When generating a table, each "tr" tag generates a <CR><LF> or in HTML, the equivalent of a <BR>. But often it is helpful to format a table with each text row being a separate line. Unfortunately, the hard "RETURN" between the "table" and "/table" tags results in double "RETURN". The first comes from each "TR" and the second from the source text. Then the double "RETURN" show up as a boat-load of blank lines, one for each row. For example:
    Cold-start engine knock mystery @198,000 mi (and engine condition generally) | PriusChat

I would like to propose two solutions:
    1. "eat" any hard "RETURN" found between "table" and "/table" tags - this allows just the "tr" tags to generate the rendered, new lines. It is also consistent with my workaround, to enter a table as a single line. Those who enter tables with hard "RETURN" in the source would still see it as they entered but would not see the extra, rendered, blank lines.
    2. suppress hard "RETURN" from the "tr" tags - I am not sure this would work because it looks like the source "RETURN" are all rendered before the table. This could totally screw-up and break tables. However, if the "RETURN" could be rendered as part of the table rows, it would work. I have no problem with going back and fixing my earlier tables.
    I have no illusions about how difficult this may be but I wanted to at least lay this on the table with at least one example of someone else who tried to make a table but got something other than what he wanted. Call it a 'humble request' and information sharing.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson