1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About To Be A New Prius Owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harley98, Jul 5, 2008.

1. harley98

harley98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I recently was put on a wait list for a 2008 Prius, package 6 and I was super excited about it. As I have been reading forums and reviews on the car, I am begining to loose my confidence in my decision. I commute 70 miles each way once or twice a week on the freeway and other that I don't drive that much on the highway, however, some of the articles that I have been reading say that people are getting lower gas mileage (in the 30's range) on long trips like I make weekly. I tend to drive around 70 miles an hour so I just want to make sure that I can push the car a bit and still get good/great gas mileage.

Please let me know any of your thoughts on the Prius highway driving.

Thanks!

2. clockaday

clockaday New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i get the low 40's going 70-80's. 60-70 mid 40's. 50-60 in the 50's

3. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i average just a bit over 50 during the school year, when i put on 75 miles a day, 50 of them on the highway at 67mph.

during the summer, i drive to starbucks, the hardware store, the grocery, etc, all under 3-4 miles ; and the average is closer to 35.

you'll be fine on the highway. drop it from 70mph to the mid 60's you'll get great mileage on the highway.

4. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I used to drive 74 miles each day, five days a week to work, with +80% of that highway. For almost two years of that commute I got +48 MPG per tank. And I drive 60-70 MPH depending on the speed limit. If I take my short (5 minutes) weekend trips to the store I got much better. But I don't remember ever getting less than 48 MPG but often higher. Also, every trip I've taken I've gotten 48 MPG or better.

With the Prius, getting great mileage on the highway is easy: keep you speed consistant.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    about 45mpg US at 110km/h highway 59mpg currently across town.

A bit of thread hijacking here.