1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About to Buy a 2007 Prius - Avdice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by se7enbaes, Jan 13, 2016.

1. se7enbaes

se7enbaes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am considering buying a used 2007 Prius from a private owner. I'm a first time car buyer so I pretty much I'm not very experienced with buying cars in general. I was hoping you all might be able to help me!

Car info:
    - Year 2007, used, 2-owner
    - 97,000+ miles.
    - $6,500 but willing to take $6,000, no less.
    - I believe it's a base model with back-up camera and keyless entry.
    - The car has 2 open recalls but seller says he's willing to get them fixed before finalizing sale.

Based on the provided information and the attached CarFax, should I be worried about anything? Any red flags in the CarFax? Is the price ($6,000) a fair price? Any other advice in general?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

#1 se7enbaes, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    you say private owner but carfax listed as for sale by a dealer just last month? As with any used car, I would have it inspected by your mechanic/Toyo dealer first (carfax doesn't count) but price seems fair if the body/interior is in good shape. We have a 2007 base prius and it does not have backup camera and no Smart Key (where the door unlocks as you open the door without hitting the clicker/FOB). Assuming this one is factory then I think its at least a level II or III trim.

3. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Package 1 has the backup camera and smart key (base has neither). Package 2 adds vehicle stability control (VSC light on startup).

Yes, it does look like it had two private owners and then a dealership took ownership (possible trade-in). Are you purchasing it from Ciocca Subaru?

Watch the traction battery state of charge in the energy flow screen as you test drive. It shouldn't change level very quickly--it should stay fairly steady.

I didn't see the 12v aux battery replacement in the maintenance report, but I may have missed it, or it may not have been recorded. If it truly is original, it is past its life expectancy. It's not a huge deal--usually about $200.

Have a look down the passenger side of the gasoline engine for the large black pulley. Look around and behind the pulley for pink crusty buildup, which could indicate a failing engine coolant pump.

The price looks quite good, if all is in order.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! do you a nest egg to invest in any major repairs, should they become necessary?